• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Work Table

Tim Aucoin

I had my brother (who is an iron artist) build me another work table. He built me a 4' x 8' table 3 years ago (I had posted pics of this one back then)... This time I needed a 4' x 4' one. He builds them pretty darn strong and sturdy for sure! Now just to get the wood for the top and middle shelves! :rock-n-roll:

Attachments

• IMG_0510.jpg
    IMG_0510.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0517.jpg
    IMG_0517.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0516.jpg
    IMG_0516.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0519.jpg
    IMG_0519.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 106

Stanton

Glue up 2 x 6 planks for the top.

Belt sand it every 3 years.
It will last FOREVER.

I have work tables from 1973.

JBusch260

Wow, that thing is a beast! Looks fantastic and very functional. I'd like to see pics of it all finished after the wood is bought.

graphicwarning

He should sell those to be broke down and shipped as a kit, and reassembled once delivered. Looks very well put together and sturdy!

Tim Aucoin

He should sell those to be broke down and shipped as a kit, and reassembled once delivered. Looks very well put together and sturdy!

That's exactly how I received it... broke down! My brother is in Ontario and I am in Alberta. Only cost me $89 to have it shipped 3,500KM ground. Took 4 days shipping. Not a bad rate at all considering how heavy it was!! :thumb:

phototec

That's exactly how I received it... broke down! My brother is in Ontario and I am in Alberta. Only cost me $89 to have it shipped 3,500KM ground. Took 4 days shipping. Not a bad rate at all considering how heavy it was!! :thumb:

Nice table, however I was wondering WHY all the bolts and so close together, most metal angle iron tables I have seen are just welded together, but this makes it KD.

That construction would be very easy for people like me who DO NOT weld - just use a chop saw to cut the pieces, drill the holes, tap the holes in the rear bracket, and bolt together.
It's hard to tell, but maybe the corner bracket is welded together, if so I would need to get that done at a welding shop.
One good thing about the 4' x 4' table, you just need four sets of the same exact items, could be mass produced easily.

:thumb:

rfulford

Very nice. What are you planning to use for the table tops? I like Stanton's 2x6 idea. What are your costs on this?

Tim Aucoin

Nice table, however I was wondering WHY all the bolts and so close together, most metal angle iron tables I have seen are just welded together, but this makes it KD.

That construction would be very easy for people like me who DO NOT weld - just use a chop saw to cut the pieces, drill the holes, tap the holes in the rear bracket, and bolt together.
It's hard to tell, but maybe the corner bracket is welded together, if so I would need to get that done at a welding shop.
One good thing about the 4' x 4' table, you just need four sets of the same exact items, could be mass produced easily.

Why all the bolts? Well, my brother is not one to do anything sub-quality, and he always builds quality, sturdy stuff, so I imagine he was doing what he thought was best when it came to the type of table I needed! Check out his FB page and see some of the work he does... https://www.facebook.com/ironartcanada
Also, he had to ship it 2000 miles to me, so it was obviously easier broken down and easier at my end to simply bolt it all together instead of welding it.
Yes, the corner bracket (underneath) is 3 pieces of angle iron welded, drilled out and tapped.

He could definitely mass produce these if there were a market for them. Problem is that most folks won't pay for quality craftsmanship these days! :banghead:

Very nice. What are you planning to use for the table tops? I like Stanton's 2x6 idea. What are your costs on this?

My original plan was to simply slice a 4 x 8 piece of melamine in half, finish the edges and screw it in from the bottom. But... I'm toying with the 2x6 idea now... I'll have to think on that!! :rolleyes:

My price on the table was $350 plus I paid the shipping (which was $89). I know for a fact that I got a "family rate" on this. For me, this is a great price for a quality table! Funny thing is I paid about the same for the 4' x 8' table he made me a few years back. As he said; "There are only 4 corners... otherwise it's just longer sides". Plus, the 4 x 8 one has two cross braces on both levels.

Tim Aucoin

Thought I'd share a couple pics of the finished product (now that I have the top and shelf completed)! The one pic shows both of the tables that my bro has made for me!! :smile:

Attachments

• IMG_0532.jpg
    IMG_0532.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0543.jpg
    IMG_0543.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 114

phototec

Thought I'd share a couple pics of the finished product (now that I have the top and shelf completed)! The one pic shows both of the tables that my bro has made for me!! :smile:

Tim they came out very nice, I just wish you would have covered the edge of the plywood edge to make it a 100% professional job - sorry but that's how I roll, I would have at least used the iron-on edge banding available at HD or Lowe's, takes just a few minutes to iron on the edge with a home iron, keeps the smooth so you don't get splinters from the plywood edge as you rub against the table edge.

[video=youtube;YVUM12gjPFI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVUM12gjPFI[/video]