• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New York state commercial vehicle decals??

NukeProof

I’m working on a project for a customer that is located here in California that is opening another location in New York. They’ve got 60 service vehicles that they plan to put out on the road within the next month and I’m making all the decals for the doors. They just emailed me and found out that all commercial vehicle lettering needs to be 3” in height and needs to include the full business address also in 3” lettering. Talk about over kill? The doors will look like one hot mess with all that lettering. Is there any New York sign shop out there that knows anything about this?? I’m just trying to confirm that this is correct. I realize every state is different but this seems like a bit much for truck lettering.

This is what they sent me:

-[FONT=&quot]displays the registrant's name and address permanently affixed in characters at least three inches high on both sides of the vehicle, with such display being in a color contrasting with that of the vehicle and placed approximately midway vertically on doors or side panels.
[/FONT]

Thanks in advance

yukon

Although we're not in NY, but NJ - we do a lot of vehicle lettering that travel to New York. And, sorry to say... It's true - 3" lettering for the complete street address too! A royal pain especially on cabover trucks with limited space to begin with. And NYC doesn't hesitate to write tons of tickets for not meeting this requirement.

Hope that helps...

Yukon

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
This 3in. code was written by an idiot. 3in. letters are huge on a door.

I letter trucks that go into NYC all the time and they need the full address, city, state, and zip code at 3 inches on the door. If you do not comply they will issue a ticket. The cops will get out and measure it if they want to bust your chops.

Did one today. Nice logo on the top panel of a new gmc pick-up and the Ridiculous 3in. crap on the lower half...

jimmysigns

I did 7 trucks for a company, made the letters 2.75 inches figured who'ld check :rolleyes: , close enough. he got tickets and I redid all the trucks. :doh:

visual800

its called BS is whats its called. and yes your correct enhancment! Someone was offered with the task of "let's find more BS fines"...Oh I got it!.....these people are idiots and timewasters

Farmboy

All we really letter are POV's for small business (landscape, snowplowing, ect...) and the letters they bring state that the DOT# needs to be 3". I see truck traffic all day go by the shop and I don't believe anything but the DOT# is up to size. This is the first I've heard of everything needing to be that large, but we don't do fleet.

letterman7

Maybe that's just for trucks that roll into NYC and not New York State in general? Wasn't there a discussion not too long ago about trucks in the city having to comply with that code?

NukeProof

Very interesting, thanks for the info. Either way it doesn't matter to me because larger decals mean more per each but it's just going to look like one big cluster faulk on the door.

I did 7 trucks for a company, made the letters 2.75 inches figured who'ld check :rolleyes: , close enough. he got tickets and I redid all the trucks. :doh:
I was thinking this same thing but after reading everyone's responses I think I'll be making the lettering 3" ha

I'm off to find a nice condensed font...

DizzyMarkus

Having dabled in the cutting only aspect for a few years part time -- I have yet to hear of the 3" lettering other than commerical vehicles on interstates and NYC. DOT approved type vehicles -- glad ot hear of this tho -- I am going to check into it. There are many many vehicles here in Oswego,NY(30 miles north of Syracuse) that are far from 3" and do not include the full address.

Markus

CentralSigns

Sometimes the 3 in lettering fits on the drivers side, but the pass side has a extra window. Try fitting the text on that door and have it not look like ship.

binki

wow, a state law outside of california that is ridiculous. go figure that it would show up in new york.

Craig Sjoquist

Yeah go figure ... now when you go meet your state rep... and ask questions of qualifications ,,don't forget to ask if they are advertising professionals so important in being a politician for the small, mid, and large businesses.

Dan Antonelli

We used to just do them close in contrast to the color of the background. I was pretty sure it was a NYC req, not NYS. I have someone in NYSP I can check with.

signdudegraphix

Is this a requirement for all trucks or just those licensed in NY? Seems ridiculous any way you look at it.

I make signs for carnival games. In Ohio, they wanted all the letters for the instructions on how to play the game in 3 inch letters. I had to hunt down a Game Inspector to find out if he owned a ruler. Some of the rules would fill up the side of a tent or trailer. Completely idiotic. I just make sure the rules are easy to read & the inspectors are happy. NY Police/DOT? Not so much. I'm glad I don't work that area any more.