Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie, Critique Please

Discussion in 'Designs & Layouts' started by NitroTech, Feb 10, 2011.

1. NitroTech

NitroTech New Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting a sign layout and I've really hit a wall, so I'm looking to get some brutally honest advice.

The sign is 6'x8', and will be located in a small rural town. The customer wants to see the snowmobile, boat and quad included in the design. All the text that's already on the sign is by my customers request.

I need the :design: desparately! Thanks.

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. signcrafters london

signcrafters london Very Active Member

May 22, 2010
    London KY
    I don't like to put "Call" on a sign. Wasted space, IMO. I also prefer the phone number be in a much more-readable font. I like the rest of it OK.

3. "Deposit Please"

"Deposit Please" Active Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Illinois
    Space Available way too small. I would put it on bottom and center align above ph#. The font style for ph# needs to go. It looks off balance, maybe it's the images. I do like the woodridge storage tho.

4. Woodridge storage is good but the phone number needs to be clear and like "deposit please" said put the space available above the number, I always use the "less is more" when designing, some times you can combine all the photos and feather them all at once, if that makes any scene. Good luck

5. signmeup

signmeup Major Contributor

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    I would work on re-arranging things a bit. Get your message into one line. "Woodridge Storage" could use a bit more breathing space.

Attached Files:

6. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    I would use isolated images, no background. It looks more like an ad for an outdoor sports store than a storage facility.

7. NitroTech

NitroTech New Member

Nov 14, 2010
    I really appreciate the input. I'm gonna put all the suggestions to good use. It drives me nuts how some sign layouts can bog a person down and nothing feels like its working.

I'm so glad I found this forum. :thumb:

8. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    It is your job (the sign expert) to direct the customer (the non sign expert) to a design that works. This is a disaster. Put one together for him with ONE or NO photo image. Drop the words "Call Dennis".

9. ForgeInc

ForgeInc Active Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Portland, Or
    this.

10. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    What does that mean?

11. signcrafters london

signcrafters london Very Active Member

May 22, 2010
    London KY
    He's agreeing with you.

12. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    I must be getting old. How does the word "this" communicate that?

13. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    that

14. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    What about the other?

15. ForgeInc

ForgeInc Active Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Portland, Or
    yup!

16. Jillbeans

Jillbeans Major Contributor

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    I prefer the alternate "r" in the Woodbridge font.
    The one you use has a hole in it.
    On your bottom line, I can see that you are individually outlining script letters which should be welded.
    Script should flow as if it had been actually handpainted.
    I see people who do not handletter make this mistake quite often, as they simply don't know any better.
    Love.....Jill

17. JR's

JR's Very Active Member

Sep 6, 2007
    swansea Ma 02777
    I like what signmeup did. and all of your photos have a big X going threw them I don't think that looks good. ;-}

JR

18. signmeup

signmeup Major Contributor

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    Thanks JR. It was a quick and dirty hack job to give the OP an idea of a different direction to go. I would rather see a picture of the storage facility instead of the sport vehicles shown and the top sign needs a lot of work to make it nice.... it needs negative space most of all.

"Storage Space Available" might be a better message. Then tell them where and how much.

19. signswi

signswi Very Active Member

Oct 29, 2009
    If you are forced to use images find a way not to feather the edges, feathered edges look terrible and old.

20. NitroTech

NitroTech New Member

Nov 14, 2010
    A redesign. Maybe this is worse, hopefully I'm moving in a better direction and not a disaster.

Attached Files: