• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Newbie jumping in feet first

Mosh

I'm curious Mosh, how did you begin your sign career? I myself never wanted to be a sign painter when I started. It was a chance accident. What began as a part time sideline for two years turned into my full time hobby today, thirty seven years later.

In high school I worked for a shop hand painting, screenprinting and then into the vinyl at the end. 5 years I worked and learned there...

cball917

got problem solved. it was something in my driver. switched pc's tonight and we are up and do layout. have done some successful cuts so far. just will take time on learning software

Tony Q's Kidd

welcome!

let me start by saying it will take more than just learning the software budd, laying out designs and learning the focus of the media your in is different than any other you might have touched upon. do a lot of homework A LOT OF HOMEWORK!

hit enter to early lol

i wish you all the best and all the luck buddy, im always open to lend some friendly advice and a helping hand :) just DO YOUR HOMEWORK! i cant stress that enough. Happy trails and welcome to the secret community. you're de-coder ring is in the mail and your card should come in about 6-8 weeks

cball917

welcome!

let me start by saying it will take more than just learning the software budd, laying out designs and learning the focus of the media your in is different than any other you might have touched upon. do a lot of homework A LOT OF HOMEWORK!

hit enter to early lol

i wish you all the best and all the luck buddy, im always open to lend some friendly advice and a helping hand :) just DO YOUR HOMEWORK! i cant stress that enough. Happy trails and welcome to the secret community. you're de-coder ring is in the mail and your card should come in about 6-8 weeks

ha ha i dont like ovaltine!!! been doing some small stuf. i know i have a long road ahead of me but i enjoy a challenge. here is one of the things i did tonight. its the fairing on my lifted jeep roof rack. i am having a tough time figuring out how to print text or decals that will be overlayed/ i can get it to outline but cant get it to separate for printing

Attachments

• IMG_20110915_005528.jpg
    IMG_20110915_005528.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 71

iSign

ha ha i dont like ovaltine!!! been doing some small stuf. i know i have a long road ahead of me but i enjoy a challenge. here is one of the things i did tonight. its the fairing on my lifted jeep roof rack. i am having a tough time figuring out how to print text or decals that will be overlayed/ i can get it to outline but cant get it to separate for printing

welcome cball
I'll take a stab at your question, but first, i'll offer a repeat of some common advice I've offered in the past.

BE ARTICULATE!!

Take the time to make your questions clear beyond all doubt.

I'll "take a stab" because it's evening, and you're new... but a lot of folks will read a question, and without the time or the desire to play 20 questions... if it ain't clear ...NEXT!

so, what does "i can get it to outline but cant get it to separate for printing" mean? what is IT? Corel? WinPC? or some other thing you mentioned that I didn't memorize?

and what do you mean "separate for printing" ?? are you printing? ...or just cutting? ...did you mean cutting?

and separate? so you added outlines to text? and you have the original text, and the outline.. and you can separate them?

how much do you know? what have you tried?

you have an amazing amount of talented & experienced individuals reading posts here and helping each other... but you have to help yourself first...

I don't want to waste time telling you basic stuff like "ungrouping' if that is basic to you, so lay it ALLL out there as to what you know, what you think, what you tried, and what you suspect... and don't say "IT" ... tell us what software, what machine, what process, tell us everything, and then quite often, people will read, know EXACTLY what you need to be shown within a few seconds, and show you!

...good luck!

cball917

welcome cball
I'll take a stab at your question, but first, i'll offer a repeat of some common advice I've offered in the past.

BE ARTICULATE!!

Take the time to make your questions clear beyond all doubt.

I'll "take a stab" because it's evening, and you're new... but a lot of folks will read a question, and without the time or the desire to play 20 questions... if it ain't clear ...NEXT!

so, what does "i can get it to outline but cant get it to separate for printing" mean? what is IT? Corel? WinPC? or some other thing you mentioned that I didn't memorize?

and what do you mean "separate for printing" ?? are you printing? ...or just cutting? ...did you mean cutting?

and separate? so you added outlines to text? and you have the original text, and the outline.. and you can separate them?

how much do you know? what have you tried?

you have an amazing amount of talented & experienced individuals reading posts here and helping each other... but you have to help yourself first...

I don't want to waste time telling you basic stuff like "ungrouping' if that is basic to you, so lay it ALLL out there as to what you know, what you think, what you tried, and what you suspect... and don't say "IT" ... tell us what software, what machine, what process, tell us everything, and then quite often, people will read, know EXACTLY what you need to be shown within a few seconds, and show you!

...good luck!

thanks for the reply. i meant cutting. i am currenty using winpc. i have figured out how to outline text. but when i get ready to print i have not figured out how to bring the top layer or original text off of the back color or outline which would be the bottom layer. i am sure i can cut it that way but i would prefer not to have to cut the smaller letter out of my actual backfground out line. and i am sorry that i do not have the correct terms. i am just really fresh with all this. but i really appreaciate you replying

cball917

hello all, would like to say thanks for all the tips and advice. taken me some time to figure out software etc. been very busy lately. just completed my first big job over the weekend. I lettered the entire front of a pawn shop. turned out really well. the owner was estatic about how well it looked. i am very please for only to be doing it less than a month. thanks for the tips

FrankenSigns.biz

Good luck to you son. You have just as much of a chance at success at any of these condescending putzes. Maybe more, if you can sell...

cball917

i have to go back next week. he wanted me to make a decal that had m name and number on it so i could advertise. it was nothing fancy but he had some signs previously made that were black and gold. he wanted me to match up the best i could. i ended up making gold blocks for the windows and door tops and overlaying teh lettering over top of that. really makes the front of the store look good

cball917

oh and i would also like to see if my pricing was in the ball park. he had 2 other quotes for pretty much same job. what it consisted of was 4 window blocks that are 7"x43.5" and 4 door blocks @ 7"x30.25" then black lettering to fill in blocks it was basically 50 ft of 7" high vinyl. and installed. he got 3 quotes and went with me. 1st quote was $450, 2nd was $600 and mine was $350. what would some of you guys have charged for the job??