• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Newbie looking for advice in expanding business

wallhappy

Hi there,
I found this thread looking for performance reviews on vinyl cutters.

Let me tell you a bit about myself and our company.

One of the newest trends in home decorating is custom signs and/or lettering for the home. (Things like Wilkinson Family with an overlay of established 1973). We've done room borders, inspirational quotes, playful words for kids walls, etc. We mostly work in text, but we work with two professional graphic designers for designed images. Between the two of them, they have over 20 years experience.

We work strictly with colored vinyl--not printed.

As this decorating trend increases, our business has exploded, and we're looking to add additional cutters and franchised employees. We will provide training for these employees, but because of geographic concerns, they will need to have a vinyl cutter in their own home.

We initially bought a Roland SX-15 (15" cutter), and have since purchased a Roland Camm-1 24". We have had a few problems with both machines. (The 24" we bought used and will not print in a portrait setting. The 15" needs babysitting.)

We need to purchase good quality machines, preferably at a decent price.

Do you have suggestions? My only experience is with the Rolands, and my partner and I need some direction.

We did come across a 24" EnduraCUT for around $700 which would keep our franchise fees low. Does anyone have experience with that machine? Should we stick with the Rolands and hope for the best?

Thank you in advance.

wallhappy

Techman

do u have some examples of your work? that would really help the quality of advice..
I printed some wall paper type prints, and murals for kids rooms using a large format printer..

iSign

will the franchisee do designs, & custom work for clients in their region? ...or just cut stuff provided for them by you?

In addition to cutters... you will need software, some of which is far more expensive then the cutter, & unable to be duplicated or shared.

There are other less expensive software choices that may limit some of your design capabilities except in the hands of the right experienced person, and would also be something to consider in you cutter selection.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Welcome

:Welcome: to :signs101: from Oklahoma :Coffee:
Looks a little heavy on the religious side. Is this your target audience?

Good luck!

wallhappy

Doug Allan said:
will the franchisee do designs, & custom work for clients in their region? ...or just cut stuff provided for them by you?

In addition to cutters... you will need software, some of which is far more expensive then the cutter, & unable to be duplicated or shared.

There are other less expensive software choices that may limit some of your design capabilities except in the hands of the right experienced person, and would also be something to consider in you cutter selection.
They would do some custom work for clients in their region, as well as cut "files" we provide.

One advantage of the Roland SX-15. It comes with software, and according to the rep I talked to, we would be okay on licensing agreements.

We've found ways to work with our basic software (Dr. Stika Plus) to get it to do what we need to. So whether we end up with a simplified software or a higher-end version, we'll be putting in a lot of training for our franchise employees.

wallhappy

signsbydale said:
:Welcome: to :signs101: from Oklahoma :Coffee:
Looks a little heavy on the religious side. Is this your target audience?

Good luck!
Thanks for the welcome.

That has been our target audience so far. One of our specialties is working with large ladies groups (usually church-related) for craft days. We provide the vinyl materials and instruction, and they paint their individual boards. The first two photos in the gallery show such a function.

We've had some professional photography done, and as we branch out in other areas, we will change the nature of our gallery for a broader appeal.