• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Newbie needs help with truck lettering...

knifemaker3

Hello all,

I just got the measurements off of our brush truck that the local volunteer fire dept. I belong to wants me to letter.

This is one very dirty truck with all the smoke residue on it from when we drive through smoke on brush fires.

Anyway, I plan on giving it a really good scrubbing with soap and water. What else would you recommend? I doubt this thing has had any wax job in a very loooong time.

Going to be simple 1 color lettering and graphics with oracal 751

any help would be appreciated as this is my first lettering on autos.

Thanks

chopper

you need to go to the place you get your materials from they should have the afore mentioned cleaner, you can also go to your local auto supply store and get some buffing compound ( with out waxes or silicone in it ) get a fine compound this will also clean the gunk off the doors and remove scratches
this can be done by hand but works best with a buffer, wash with cleaner and apply graphics, //chopper

knifemaker3

Thanks guys for the replies. I'll contact my supplier and go to O'Rielleys Auto and see what they have.

Thanks again for helping out this new guy!

imaSIGNr

" Prep Sol "# 3919s is the stuff at your auto parts store....I would also suggest that after new vinyl is applied that you mask around the area and clear cote with "Frog Juice " or "Krylon" clear only because you are driving through brush and likely to pull up edges of vinyl by doing that. The clear will seal the edges.
If you don't want to do this then at least get a " Seal-it" pen and seal the edges

Craig Sjoquist

I use House of Colors ...bonding cleaner,...KC-20
found at auto body shop suppliers there are others that work of same type
but House of Colors works the best for all around cleaning on all painted metal or any surface the gallon I've had has lasted me years

it is the soldier that protects our freedoms

knifemaker3

" Prep Sol "# 3919s is the stuff at your auto parts store....I would also suggest that after new vinyl is applied that you mask around the area and clear cote with "Frog Juice " or "Krylon" clear only because you are driving through brush and likely to pull up edges of vinyl by doing that. The clear will seal the edges.
If you don't want to do this then at least get a " Seal-it" pen and seal the edges

Thanks, I'll look for it when I get to town next week. 17 miles one way to town @ $3 a gallon for gas makes for just a once a week run to town :tongue:

I've seen the frog juice and was figuring on buying some with the next order I make.

I use House of Colors ...bonding cleaner,...KC-20
found at auto body shop suppliers there are others that work of same type
but House of Colors works the best for all around cleaning on all painted metal or any surface the gallon I've had has lasted me years

I'll check on that as well.

Thanks guys!

Checkers

I'd follow Techman and Unique Decal's advice and go with the "Rapid" products. They'll even send free samples if you contact them.
When I have to, the only alcohol I'll use for cleaning and/or prep is isopropyl because there normally aren't any unknown contaminants. Denatured alcohol can contain parafin or other waxes that are not good for paint or vinyl decals.

Checkers

imaSIGNr

doesn't SW's prepsol contain oil? me personally, i'd try water and then denatured alcohol.
SW does dot carry prep sol. You must be thinking of something else. Prep sol is what auto body shops use to take off oil, grease, wax and contaminants to prep for painting so I can't see why it would have oil in it. At least that's what I've always used for the last 22 years.
Rapid prep will work too.....

johnnysigns

we've got a paint shop at my job where they use prepsol, but it always smells like there's mineral spirits in it.

i've had good luck w/ the denatured alcohol, but it can definitely screw up the adhesives in the vinyl. i try and dry wipe after using it, but it's really helpful in removing most of the muck that builds up on trailers.