Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie needs help with truck lettering...

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by knifemaker3, Jun 1, 2007.

1. knifemaker3

knifemaker3 Member

May 16, 2007
    Hello all,

I just got the measurements off of our brush truck that the local volunteer fire dept. I belong to wants me to letter.

This is one very dirty truck with all the smoke residue on it from when we drive through smoke on brush fires.

Anyway, I plan on giving it a really good scrubbing with soap and water. What else would you recommend? I doubt this thing has had any wax job in a very loooong time.

Going to be simple 1 color lettering and graphics with oracal 751

any help would be appreciated as this is my first lettering on autos.

Thanks

Tags:
  2. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    Rapid Prep.. its great for this..

3. knifemaker3

knifemaker3 Member

May 16, 2007
    ok techman,

What's rapid prep and where can I get it? Like I said I'm a total newbie to this....

Thanks.

4. chopper

chopper Very Active Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Big Lake MN
    you need to go to the place you get your materials from they should have the afore mentioned cleaner, you can also go to your local auto supply store and get some buffing compound ( with out waxes or silicone in it ) get a fine compound this will also clean the gunk off the doors and remove scratches
    this can be done by hand but works best with a buffer, wash with cleaner and apply graphics, //chopper

5. knifemaker3

knifemaker3 Member

May 16, 2007
    Thanks guys for the replies. I'll contact my supplier and go to O'Rielleys Auto and see what they have.

Thanks again for helping out this new guy!

6. imaSIGNr

imaSIGNr Very Active Member

Jan 15, 2006
    " Prep Sol "# 3919s is the stuff at your auto parts store....I would also suggest that after new vinyl is applied that you mask around the area and clear cote with "Frog Juice " or "Krylon" clear only because you are driving through brush and likely to pull up edges of vinyl by doing that. The clear will seal the edges.
    If you don't want to do this then at least get a " Seal-it" pen and seal the edges

7. Craig Sjoquist

Craig Sjoquist Major Contributor

Jun 18, 2004
    Orlando
    I use House of Colors ...bonding cleaner,...KC-20
    found at auto body shop suppliers there are others that work of same type
    but House of Colors works the best for all around cleaning on all painted metal or any surface the gallon I've had has lasted me years

it is the soldier that protects our freedoms

8. knifemaker3

knifemaker3 Member

May 16, 2007
    Thanks, I'll look for it when I get to town next week. 17 miles one way to town @ $3 a gallon for gas makes for just a once a week run to town :tongue:

I've seen the frog juice and was figuring on buying some with the next order I make.

I'll check on that as well.

Thanks guys!

9. Sticker Dude

Sticker Dude Member

Mar 26, 2006
    Florida
  10. johnnysigns

johnnysigns Very Active Member

Nov 3, 2004
    East Coast
    doesn't SW's prepsol contain oil? me personally, i'd try water and then denatured alcohol.

11. Checkers

Checkers Very Active Member

Jul 24, 2003
    I'd follow Techman and Unique Decal's advice and go with the "Rapid" products. They'll even send free samples if you contact them.
    When I have to, the only alcohol I'll use for cleaning and/or prep is isopropyl because there normally aren't any unknown contaminants. Denatured alcohol can contain parafin or other waxes that are not good for paint or vinyl decals.

Checkers

12. imaSIGNr

imaSIGNr Very Active Member

Jan 15, 2006
    SW does dot carry prep sol. You must be thinking of something else. Prep sol is what auto body shops use to take off oil, grease, wax and contaminants to prep for painting so I can't see why it would have oil in it. At least that's what I've always used for the last 22 years.
    Rapid prep will work too.....

13. johnnysigns

johnnysigns Very Active Member

Nov 3, 2004
    East Coast
    we've got a paint shop at my job where they use prepsol, but it always smells like there's mineral spirits in it.

i've had good luck w/ the denatured alcohol, but it can definitely screw up the adhesives in the vinyl. i try and dry wipe after using it, but it's really helpful in removing most of the muck that builds up on trailers.