• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Newbie needs help

tonny

Hi to all of you who provide such a great info.
As the title said I`m newbie and need help to decide if sign making business is for me :smile:
I want to start making signs for trucks and trailers. I mean those signs on side of the trucks that are showing Company name, US DOT numbers etc nothing special as design work etc. Also bigger signs for the trailers - dry van.

What kind of machine will do the job for me?
I have seen on some truck signs that are printed full color on some kind of thin base like soft plastic - what equipment is needed to produce this kind of sign? It looks really good and I believe it is much easier to install it.

Thanks for your time and help!

Red Ball

Seasoned Citizen
Welcome from the Kingdom of Texas! I suggest you get a trainee position at an established company for five to ten years. To perform correctly is a heck of a lot more complicated than it looks.

Billct2

I think getting a job in a sign shop is a great way to find out if you want to get into this business. You'll know pretty quickly if it's something you want to stick with, the you'll be better informed on how to proceed.
And I know a lot of newbis think this is a brush-off, but seriously, if you wanted be a carpenter, plumber, mechanic etc,w
ouldn't you at least try it out first? Or take a few classes?

goforit14

If you wish to have complex logos and letters with gradients and such you might need to invest in a wide format printer and posibly a plotter with registration support.

If you want to get started you can begin with a plotter i suggest buying the best you can afford if you plan on doing this a long time.Also begin practicing installing the vinyl before you do a customers truck, youtube has many great videos

rjssigns

I second the opinion of getting a job at an established shop. Buying a printer is super easy. As is the rest of the needed equipment. They never tell you about the horrific learning curve before making salable product. Or the software expense/problems or any one of a million other things that can stop you in your tracks.

It is all sunshine lollipops and rainbows when your hard earned cash is flowing from your pocket to theirs.

I just ordered another $600 of inks last night. I always have a full set in stock no matter what. Depending on time of year I will keep upwards of $2000 worth of ink in stock. Not to mention the requisite amount of material to keep running through weekends and holidays if necessary.

Oh yeah, when you run a business you can work whatever hours you want. As long as it's all the time.

Almost forgot. Welcome aboard.