• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Newby looking at USCutter 34-inch for vinyl car graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.

jskwarek

Good morning Signs101. Long time graphics guy looking to purchase a vinyl cutter for the many car projects I have. I've come across the USCutter 34 and the price seems to good to be true. I'm proficient in Illustrator and an IT Professional so software doesn't scare me.

Question for this group. As an entry level machine, is USCutter good better best? Is there another brand I should be looking at? This will be a low usage machine as it will only be for personal use but it could grow from there.

Can someone also point me in the direction of some videos or training tutorials on best practice for setup? I plan to use Oracal vinyl but need some heads up on pressure, speed and other settings as baselines to get started. Also, looking for instruction and best materials for backing material to apply vinyl to the car.

TIA,
Jason

jskwarek

Yea, I've been spending a lot of time on You Tube, just gets frustrating weeding through the newbies making videos and getting to real good videos. Was hoping there was a forum out there that had the details in a better format.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Good morning Signs101. Long time graphics guy looking to purchase a vinyl cutter for the many car projects I have. I've come across the USCutter 34 and the price seems to good to be true. I'm proficient in Illustrator and an IT Professional so software doesn't scare me.

Question for this group. As an entry level machine, is USCutter good better best? Is there another brand I should be looking at? This will be a low usage machine as it will only be for personal use but it could grow from there.

Can someone also point me in the direction of some videos or training tutorials on best practice for setup? I plan to use Oracal vinyl but need some heads up on pressure, speed and other settings as baselines to get started. Also, looking for instruction and best materials for backing material to apply vinyl to the car.

TIA,
Jason

This doesn't jive at all.

Perhaps you are not doing what you say, but these things only go for about $300 new, so it really can't be that big of a reach for you. I say go for it. As for the various everything you're inquiring about, it's be best if you did a little homework and came back with some more specific questions. :rock-n-roll:

jskwarek

Thanks for the reply Gino. Help me understand what doesn't jive? I've picked up on what you highlighted in red. Please let me clarify,

I've been a Photoshop guy and Illustrator guy for many years as I do side work as a Photographer and site developer. I currently own a Lightning (Tow Truck) and GT500 (Race Car) that I've been trying to get graphics done for. Either companies want way too much money to print graphics I can supply, or they don't have the material I'm looking for. I figure I'm geeky enough that I can learn this side of the world as I already understand the Vector side. I don't want to dump $1500 plus into a printer for personal use. If I enjoy doing it, then maybe I'll pick up a higher end machine in the future but for now looking for something that can be trusted to cut graphics up to about 30" x 35" such as the image below.

These are my current graphics on the GT500, instead of paying someone $500 to cut and waiting months like last time, I thought I'd just invest in myself being that the file is done. I just don't want to invest in say the US Cutter (now thinking the 50" for minimal cost difference), only to find out I've wasted my time.

Not much good unbiased feedback on the entry level cutters out there that I've found.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4252.jpg
    IMG_4252.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_4252.jpg
    IMG_4252.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 106

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply Gino. Help me understand what doesn't jive? I've picked up on what you highlighted in red. Please let me clarify,

I've been a Photoshop guy and Illustrator guy for many years as I do side work as a Photographer and site developer. I currently own a Lightning (Tow Truck) and GT500 (Race Car) that I've been trying to get graphics done for. Either companies want way too much money to print graphics I can supply, or they don't have the material I'm looking for. I figure I'm geeky enough that I can learn this side of the world as I already understand the Vector side. I don't want to dump $1500 plus into a printer for personal use. If I enjoy doing it, then maybe I'll pick up a higher end machine in the future but for now looking for something that can be trusted to cut graphics up to about 30" x 35" such as the image below.

These are my current graphics on the GT500, instead of paying someone $500 to cut and waiting months like last time, I thought I'd just invest in myself being that the file is done. I just don't want to invest in say the US Cutter (now thinking the 50" for minimal cost difference), only to find out I've wasted my time.

Not much good unbiased feedback on the entry level cutters out there that I've found.

Evidently, you either went on line for your stuff or some local joker saw you coming. No way is that worth $500 Putting it on is worth more than what those graphics would be worth.

Rather than wasting your money, why don't you cruise around for a few weeks and align yourself with some real sign shops and not add to the frenzy ??

My thoughts are true, simple and always the same. Rather than coming into the business as a p!ssed off end-user who wants to do his own stuff, with no or little interest in bettering the industry, why not stay an end-user and use the people here ?? There are many Merchant Members who would give you a great price on that kinda stuff. There are members here who could do it, but that is frowned upon by the elders. Nothing worse than some plumber, racer or hack wanting to come into this business and get all your information disguised as a newbie and then run.

:rock-n-roll:

jskwarek

You nailed it on the head with the p!ssed off end-user part. I've got a very good vinyl guy but he's always buried and I hate hitting him up for one off work. The guy that did these graphics was indeed a hack as well as a ripoff artist. Finally figured out he worked from some signage company, decided he could do better on his own and got in over his head. If it wasn't basic simple stuff, he couldn't do it. Had no idea how to use his software or his hardware. That's what got me started down this road. I literally had to download a demo of his software to convert my AI file for him to print. The first time he sent the graphics, he weeded them incorrectly and forgot half the decal.

All while dealing with this, I was working with my local guy on some specific material for the Lightning. After several go arounds, I finally gave up on trying to get the material I needed from him.

I enjoy doing this type of stuff, so it's not really a waste in my opinion. I figured if I could get in under $1k for cutter and vinyl and get both vehicles done, I'd have the pride that I did it myself, get to learn something new and if I do enjoy it, then maybe I can look at making it into something else.

Thanks for your input, Gino. I truly appreciate it.

JS

OldPaint

let me see.......YOU OWN THAT CAR......... and a LIGHTNING TOW TRUCK...... and YOU are upset with the PRICE people want to do the graphics??????? now, i aint the smartest brick on the block, but seems like ya dont have a problem spending money for vehicles.....BUT YOU WANT A CHEAP VINYL CUTTER, so you can do the graphic on that EXPENSIVE CAR so you wont have to PAY A DECENT PRICE to a established sign guy?????
I SMELL SOMETHING........did a bull take a crap here???????

jskwarek

Man, you guys really can't stand a "non-professional" that's curious about the industry, can you? I get it guys, I'm not one of you. I too hate when someone goes out and buys the latest P&S camera and then calls themselves a photographer.

OldPaint, just to clear the "bull crap" off your shoes... Yes, I own both those "expensive" cars. I also do ALL of my own work on those "expensive" cars. How did I learn to do that? I bought tools, started wrenching, hung out with others and learned from my mistakes. Those were the days before Forums and Google. I'm now older and smarter and come to "the experts" of the forums for advice. I'm not trying to take your job, I've got a job. I am a creative guy that sees an opportunity to invest in a new "tool" for the garage and doing that work.

I never once said I minded "Paying a decent price", I don't mind that at all. This is more than just "Paying a decent price", it's allowing me to do two things that I enjoy at once. Improving my vehicles and be creative.

OldPaint

ok.........YOU came up with the cheapest piece of junk for a cutter you can buy.........NOT ME.
if your such a "hands on kinda guy" then i imagine you know tools.......you dont buy harbor freight hand tools YOU would have MATCO/SNAP-ON/CORNWELL........ at least CRAFTSMAN..........so, YOU made the point you wanted CHEAP. also you said you felt you got ripped on the stuff you had done...........again.....YOU WANT CHEAP........ so it still smells.

jskwarek

OK, so let me get this straight... I say I pay $500 for graphics that I supply the Vector file for, Gino calls me out for spending too much on the graphics. I say I'd like to do it myself with better quality and you call me out for being cheap?

Do me a favor, when you guys gather for your newb kicking festivals, at least play on the same team. You're giving me a head ache....

And, to use your analogy... If I need a tool the first time, I typically buy Craftsman because it's easy to get a hold of, cheap and reliable. For those daily use tools, I use SnapOn. Because those daily use tools require better quality.

What I'm trying to find out here is clearly stated in my first post. "I've come across the USCutter 34 and the price seems to good to be true." It seems like a "Harbor Freight" option. What I'm looking for is information on whether it is, whether there's a Craftsman option, or do I have to go all the way to SnapOn for a low use tool.

How is it that I get PM's from people with good information, informative information? Yet the only ones that post on the forums are the PhD's who are threatened buy a noob asking a few questions.

Sign Works

* Roland ... Good
* Graphtec ... Better
* Summa ... Even Better
* US Cutter ... Cheap (have fun)

Sign Works

OK, so let me get this straight... I say I pay $500 for graphics that I supply the Vector file for, Gino calls me out for spending too much on the graphics. I say I'd like to do it myself with better quality and you call me out for being cheap?

Do me a favor, when you guys gather for your newb kicking festivals, at least play on the same team. You're giving me a head ache....

And, to use your analogy... If I need a tool the first time, I typically buy Craftsman because it's easy to get a hold of, cheap and reliable. For those daily use tools, I use SnapOn. Because those daily use tools require better quality.

What I'm trying to find out here is clearly stated in my first post. "I've come across the USCutter 34 and the price seems to good to be true." It seems like a "Harbor Freight" option. What I'm looking for is information on whether it is, whether there's a Craftsman option, or do I have to go all the way to SnapOn for a low use tool.

How is it that I get PM's from people with good information, informative information? Yet the only ones that post on the forums are the PhD's who are threatened buy a noob asking a few questions.

Craftsman option .... Graphtec CE Series

Your real surprise will come when you start pricing quality materials such as quality cast vinyls & transfer tape.
(What do you mean it's $428 dollars for a roll of 3M cast vinyl ????????? :omg:). Just maybe you didn't get ripped off after all.
Don't forget the tools you will need such as application tools & fluids, rulers, large table with cutting mat, etc. etc. etc.

jskwarek

Thanks. Luckily I already have most of the tools, including large tables, self healing mattes and weeding tools. Vinyl is what it is for the quality I'm looking for.

Thanks for the recommendation on the Graphtec CE. I'll take a look. Also found a Gerber used unit locally on Craigslist.

OldPaint

let me see here.YOU think you so good(newbie know nothing) as to threaten guys like me who have been in this business .......longer then you have lived????
sure got a high opinion of yourself........of course YOU would))))))
iam 70.........and the only threat you pose to me is keeping from getting to the toilet after reading this!!!!! hahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahaa

Pat Whatley

The US Cutter plotter will be fine for what you say you want to use it for. You don't need a production level workhorse to crank out a sticker set here and there. If you've got the room for a larger plotter get it, if you don't then at some point down the road you'll be kicking yourself.

Yes, the US Cutter is a "Harbor Freight" option which is perfect for what you need.

Kottwitz-Graphics

Man, you guys really can't stand a "non-professional" that's curious about the industry, can you? I get it guys, I'm not one of you. I too hate when someone goes out and buys the latest P&S camera and then calls themselves a photographer..

The thing is, and I'm just taking a guess here, is with your photography, that too is a "hobby".

This is our profession. This is how we pay our bills, put food on our families tables, drive our "not so extravagant " cars and trucks, put a roof over our heads, etc. We see almost weekly some end user, who feels that he is being taken advantage of by someone else's high prices or slow service. So they are going to do it themselves, save a boatload of money....whatever. A lot of times these "end users" don't seem to realize that these sign guys charge what they charge to keep the lights on, or that they have other customers, and they won't drop what they are doing to work on the end users little project.

So we hear the laundry list of questions. What's the best plotter, vinyl, what ever...

I'm not going to get into the terms and conditions, because that is fred's call as to who gets in, but if you do want to learn, you can at least search the forums prior to asking "what's the best....".

Status
Not open for further replies.