• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Nifty Tip - Save some $$ on patterns

SignEST

I dont really see how coro will help make things much faster in my situation. If I'm doing a 30-40' sign...you're talking about 3-4 sheets of Coloplast I have to take up in the bucket and mount on the wall....vs taking a roll of tyvek and rolling it out, not spending time going up and down on bucket.

I can pick up a stack of 5 4x8 sheets of 1/8 coro in 1 hand. I don't personally think that I am the Hulk in real life but maybe I should go tell the news about my incredible feats of strength. You can always hang them off your bucket on a simple hook unless you and your tools are hitting the weight limit and can't take another 10-15 pounds. You are also not hauling up the whole sheet but probably 40-50% of one.

Making simple interlocking tiles of any size on a CNC router should be a non-job for a real CNC programmer with sign shop experience. You only need to level and or measure out one and rest will lock in and all you do is move your bucket around clicking them into place. Can always cut in slight tolerances for the interlocks. Since coroplast is fluted, your flute direction for patterns can make it conform to the surface. 30-40' sign is about 4-5 sheets of coroplast if your letters are over 3 ft tall and need pins if not then you might fit 2-3 8' foot lengths worth of patterns onto 1 sheet.

Push through pattern style takes even less since you technically only need the tops or bottoms for alignment and you can level the pattern or turn it any direction with 0 sag unlike paper or banner or tyvek patterns.

You need access to a place that will cut these for you though. It will never be profitable if you have to pay for it as it's some sort of a special snowflake CNC job.

Former owner of the shop I worked for actually re-used his paper patterns on different jobs. Stored them all in a shipping container in the back parking lot of the building like some sort of a hoarder. Thought he was saving hella money doing it this weird scrappy way but he lost dollars chasing pennies every time.

I am not out to judge the way you do things, I am sure your way of doing it is profitable for you. This is just my personal working experience and how I pushed the limits of how many installs I can do a day.

One of the more extreme examples was hitting all the hospitals in metropolis the same day to change over all their Emergency room area informational vinyl. We achieved that by having the secretary drive me around to avoid me having to find parking and she picked me right back up and we were en-route to the next one.

Last edited:

Val47

When we have letters from Gemini, we already had artwork, that we sent to them. We don't use them a lot - most of our projects like this we either send material and the cut file to our CNC guy. Either way - I just print that cut file on cheap 6mill poster paper for the installation template. The CNC guy can move the letters around for efficiency.
but the poster template (basically the cut file I send) is used for the installation.
Note, this is for not giant, but indoor wall installation stuff.

MikePro

I dont really see how coro will help make things much faster in my situation.
I've never considered it faster. much quicker to roll-out a sheet, than the up&down's of bringing coroplast panels into the mix.

It has its uses, however, as i really only use coro for patterns when the wall is uneven masonry or an absolute pita to tape a pattern onto.
provides a flat plane to drill square, rather than allow the high's and low's of the stone to warp a paper/tyvek pattern. also allows you to drill screws and washers to hold the pattern up, if needed, in places that will be covered by the lettering.
....and its reuseable :)
just spraymount your next pattern on top of the old. we have a stack of coro that's been through multiple projects, absolutely lousy with drill holes but still functional.

RaymondLoewy

Pretty fly for a Sign Guy
That's good for small interior stuff, but having the tyvek is very nice when you are outside in a bucket truck putting up a 30' long pattern in the wind. It doesn't tear or get wet.
Tell that to DSW, honky. The wax/adhesive side of the paper can wihstand mild rains longer than you would want to.