• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

nina kafe logo design

Johnny Best

greeklogo.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Just becasue you started this thread, doesn't give you the right to TELL us what is and/or isn't or when the thread should end.

I think this could go on a little longer..... afterall, it's Friday, let's have a little fun.:design:

:toasting:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Or wombat snot.

What kinda critters do you have over there that we can make fun of ?? Pygmy Shrew ??

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
So any design that is words without a symbol is a sign? That's just not true. Sorry.

Not necessarily. Take 'Coca Cola' or 'Disney'. There's words and there's design. It's the design that's the logo, not the words. That the design just happens to form words is coincidental to the design. Most anyone anywhere in the world regardless of what language they might read or what collection of symbols compose their language will recognize the unique 'Coca Cola' design. As well as 'Disney' and a host of others. That's the point of a logo, it's supposed to transcend written language.

Johnny Best

Not necessarily. Take 'Coca Cola' or 'Disney'. There's words and there's design. It's the design that's the logo, not the words. That the design just happens to form words is coincidental to the design. Most anyone anywhere in the world regardless of what language they might read or what collection of symbols compose their language will recognize the unique 'Coca Cola' design. As well as 'Disney' and a host of others. That's the point of a logo, it's supposed to transcend written language.

Exactly, well put bob as always.

neato

So at what point does it "transcend written language"? According to who's criteria does it cease from being a word and become a logo?

Is this a logo? Or a is it a sign?
sony-logo1.jpg

And if it is a logo, or if Disney or Coca Cola are logos, how could this NOT be a logo?

nina-logo-jpg.131050

I do understand your reasoning, don't get me wrong. But I think anything, including just letters, can be a logo or graphic representation of a brand or company. Just letters might not be easily recognizable especially for a new brand, but many successful companies use letters only and are identifiable.

Sincerly,

"Sport"
:)

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
So at what point does it "transcend written language"? According to who's criteria does it cease from being a word and become a logo?...:)

In general a word or words are a logo when the design is instantly recognizable by any illiterate anywhere on the planet. That the design might form words in some language or another ir some symbol set or another is coincidental to the design. Logos are not read, rather they are seen.

An interesting fact, probably more than you wanted to know, is that the part of the brain that reads is different from the part of your brain that analyzes. That's why it's difficult to discern a pattern from a table of numbers but when those same numbers are displayed as a graph patterns become easily recognizable. Pretty much the same for a logo. Perhaps that's why people have a hard time seeing the arrow in the FedEx logo. They're reading it. Once the arrow is pointed out to them they can't help but recognize it every time they see it and no longer just read the words, if they ever read them at all after.

HandsomeBob

Logos can be graphic and/or text and or combined. It is the unique combination that makes the whole thing a logo. Where do you do business and what are your rights to the logo you created. You do not just give it to the customer. It has value and you are entitled to that value when you SELL it to the customer. Do not underrate your value in the logo creative process.

Marlene

this is how it was taught to me in "design school"

The logotype usually refers to the words of a logo. A logo often consists of both and image or symbol and words. For example, McDonald's logo consists of the big yellow M with the name 'McDonald's' under it; the word is the logotype, the big M and the word together are the logo.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
Just because the client likes it doesn't mean it is any good. You may choose just to collect your money and move on, or you may try to work with the client to develop something that will actually add value to his/her business.

Of course, you run the risk of losing the client.

I have a reputation for being blunt. I have lost a lot of clients. They think I'm nuts (who do I think I am, telling them how to run their business)! It's interesting to note, however, those businesses that fold after a few years, and those that stick around to grow and prosper! I'd rather be an ogre with a solid book of successful clients than a hack who has to go out and find new clients every day.