• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

NO BLACK after head clean!!!!!!!!

i had the same problem my mainboard fuse blew (f2) replaced lew again changed the ribbons blew again swapped the head blew again, a great guy i know emailed me some instructions from roland in japan on how to test the board amazingly i found that the mosfet had popped and the ic for group b causing all the problems roland wanted £1760.00 plus vat plus installation to fit new board, i had a customer who repairs pc's spend 2 hours on a saturday afternoon replace the ic's and replace the mosfets of group b soldered a new fuse to the board and it worked perfect don't give in to the cash hungry roland techs most of the problems can be repaired without replacing for stupid amounts of cash. oh it all started because the idiot who set up our bulk ink system drew ink with a syringe dropped some on the circuit board of the head which shorted the board!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i bought replacement fuses from rs components here in the uk £5.90 for 10 roland wanted £10.00 for 2

kustomkoncepts

LnLSigns

if all your prints are coming out pinkish then your BLACK AND CY head is not firing. it is trying to print with Yellow and MG inks only head.

a quick easy test is I switched the head plugs either at the Mother board or right at the heads. do a short print if your other head colors fire corectly then the fuse is a good starting point to replace.

I Lucked out. A fuse blows for many reasons a quick electrical surge or something worse wrong down the line that is protecting more expensive parts up the line and replacing the fuse it may just blow right away again it there is a bigger problem.

A better and more technical way to check is use a ohm meter to see if it is blown and get some fuses and solder them on and see if they blow right away again.

see attached pictures for location of fuses

Last edited:

artbot

data swap

that entire model range is subject to latent static charge. i've seen those printers act horrible for a long time showing all kinds of "bad head" issues. then be fixed by a simple protocol. ...turn the printer off from the front, turn it off from the back, unplug it, then press the front button four times slowly. that will discharge the latent static charge that is being stored in the capacitors. not that this will fix your printer. but if you have this model range of rolands,,, then do this instinctively when you get strange printing behavior.

edit.... sorry i accidentally attached a jv3 160sp data swap diagram...

Attachments

• dataswap_JV3160sp.jpg
    dataswap_JV3160sp.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 68

Kendo

For the benefit of others reading this discussion - had similar problems with my SP540v Yellow/Magenta head stopped printing - 101 forum advice was "check the transistors" (mosfets) - got a tech. wizard to remove and check the transistors (all good). Further 101 advcie was to check the F2 & F3 fuses. One was blown so it was replaced. Blew again when we tried to print & couldn't work out why.
We swapped the head leads but we blew the other fuse.
THEN, my tech. (my new best friend) found that one of the capacitors located next to the F2 & F3 fuses was outputing a different (lower) voltage. This incorrect voltage made a difference - it was being fed to the Yellow/Magenta head & over time it caused the head to eventually short, which in turn 'blew' the fuse. We had a 'circular' problem - the faulty capacitor damaged the head which blew the fuse. I had to buy a new head but replacing the capacitor & the fuse was a lot cheaper than buy a new main board. My tech. said that capacitors rarely fail and should last for years and for this reason it was one of the last things he checked. I've attached a photo of the main board for reference.

Attachments

• Roland SP540v Main Board.jpg
    Roland SP540v Main Board.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 90