• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

No More Dongle Key

S

Sign-Man Signs

Spoke with the new rep from Flexi at the Orlando Show about having to move the dongle key from one computer to another. Apparently they have addressed the issue and if I heard right, you will now be able, with Flexi 8.5, to open your Flexi program from a stand alone computer connected to the internet, which will go directly to their web site and validate the registration. Hence no more moving the dongle key.
Our shop, we do not network our computers. Reason is simple, virus's that can kill a system. We do keep all of our computers connected to the internet. This new idea for Flexi sounds great to use and will keep us from moving the dongle key for each application. Hope it works!

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Just as silly as the hasp key itself. My machines that are used to run Flexi are connected to each other but not the internet. This, for me, is as it should be.

I grow weary of software houses that expect me to alter my behavior to accommodate their paranoia.

Let the tsunami of rationalizations for this sort of behavior begin. A prize to any piece of tortured reasoning that I haven't heard before and the prize of all prizes to any that actually make sense.

GARY CULY

im with bob on this one....no internet on my puters that run machines ..im not risking a virus meltdown or any other internet related problems here....bob speak truth ,,listen gang

Replicator

I am a firm believer that if I spent $3-4000 dollars on a program,
then I own that program and should be able to use it in any way
that I see fit . . . With the exclusion of redistribution of course.

Lunatic Taskbar

Flexi idea is great in theory... However if they happen them selfs to have a melt down or are compromised for what ever reason or even as simple as a power cut for a long period and their UPS's run down then how many shops will be unable to cut or print, due to the unavailability of their server to confirm that the program is legit!!! this would worry me immensely. And with over 20 years in an IT back ground, no shiny brochures, or false promises would entice me to go over to this way of working. No way!!! sorry just my 2c

Lunatic Taskbar

Agree 110% Lunatic

Hope the reps are reading this thread . . . !

Yup its got problems written all over it.

You have to ask your self who in their right mind would think this was acceptable.

I'm also gonna go out on a limb and say would this system only authenticate current software... so as an example if we all decided to stay on 7.6 or 8.1 and a new 9 came out and we didn't upgrade to the newer one for what ever reason. would our software still be classed as authenticated or would they try to change the EULA to say its only legit IF its current and IF you continue to buy the latest and greatest. It would have people leaving flexi in their droves...

After all what would we stay for the customer support LOL

EULA = End User License Agreement

GK

This is just like Adobe letting Acrobat Pro run that FNPlicensingservice.exe everytime you run an Acrobat product. Not only does it constantly want to suck up resources, it wants a direct internet connection at all times and opens up ports on the computer to connect to the servers at Adobe to validate your license. Open ports = security risk. If all software companies keep doing stuff like this we are gonna need a gig of RAM dedicated to just validation services and enough ports open to welcome a whole slew of attacks.

gvgraphics

Leaving the hasp key would make me think that it would be easier for the crooks to crack the program. I'm not so sure this is a good move for SA. I can see it now, our prices go up to accommodate for the added loss of revenue from stolen software.

GK

Software companies that go this far to prevent piracy are usually let down within hours of releasing their software only to find out that there are crackers out there that have way more skill then they think --- only to have millions wasted in their DRM after someone cracks it. Macrovision DVD protection was cracked within 48 hours, Blu-Ray's protection in under a week, the iPhone was cracked by a 17 yr old here in NJ to use it on any networks with any 3rd party software you could imagine. There will always be someone far smarter that can do something faster and better then the next person, so...the software companies will just keep dumping millions into protecting their software, hackers/crackers will keep breaking their protections in record times, and they will just keep offsetting those protection costs to us...the end user.

N2Harpz

Sounds like a bunch of balongna to me. Lower the prices and no one would steal the program. How many people can shell out $4000 for a new program? Now we have to worry about the cable going out or the server going down.

Not only that now they will be filling my puter full of spyware every time I turn it on.

BIG BROTHER thanks for your help.

trakers

Most of us will pay, if we feel we are getting value for our money. Obviously Flexi is ridiculously overpriced, so much so I contemplated not buying it, but my upbringing would not allow me to snag a cracked copy.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
This problem was allowed by all us users. Microsoft started this FBS we now know as Activation and we as users allowed it to happen. I told my buddies way back then that virtually every large SW company would institute this practice and slowly they all are. The era of "phoning home" is here to stay my friends unless we as users make it change.<o:p></o:p>
The fella above has the right idea. Price something reasonable and most people will not steal it. A few thousand for a program that is not as powerful as the $99 Ulead PhotoImpact I run everyday is ludicrous and moronic. I cuss that friggin Flexi dongle ever day. It is always where I am not. If there were a crack to make it not required I would use it in a second. I PAID for the GD program so I should be able to use it as I please.<o:p></o:p>
With this activation development, when it comes time to upgrade I may look at alternate distribution channels for the program. It pisses me off that much.<o:p></o:p>
In the end I'm guessing the Activation development has nothing to do with "convenience for the customer" but more about it, over time, being cheaper than those damn dongles.<o:p></o:p>

Techman

This is the beginning of the subscription system. It won't be much longer when they will just give you a stub of software and every thing else is run from their central server. Why will it goto a stub concept? Because a reverser will simply to override the server check as they have with all other server check softwares around. Why will he override it? because of the challenge.

This system is good for flexi because no more worries about hacked softs. They will sell it as a monthly charge where they simply keep updating the software on the fly. If you ever have a complaint and do not pay even though you are right they will shut off your access. If their servers are loaded, which is a fact that it will happen your access will be slow. If you are multitasking your access will be slow. If their sudden update doesn't work on your system you will be down. Think not? just look at when M$ does an update now and see how many ppl lose production time.

If certain internet providers have their way,,this will become the realm of the rich because the average guy will not have the resources to pay for full time high priority internet access. We will get 3rd priority which means measured and throttled access. Measured means just like the old days when Compuserve charged you for a download by the bit even if your download failed at the 99% point. Throttled means if level 1 wants to use the pipes your speed will fall to whatever they give you.

As far as cheaper because no one can steal it? Never no way not in the books not even on this planet.
Intuit is a prime example. Quicken was a locked software. It was sold as a high priced premium software used by a very small segment. (sound familiar) Yes, it was high priced and hard to get.

One day (version 3) they realized this mistake and unlocked their software and sold it for about $60 bux. No more copy protection. As most of us know that software took off and became one of the most popular and well sold products around. Every one bought their own copy.

The above mentioned paranoia is real. IF their system is down or yours is down you are piped. You think it doesn't go down? mine goes down all the time.

I already tried this system long ago with another vendor with a customer data base system. They tried to hold my data hostage even though they were dead wrong.
Subscription services?? Never ever again.

fozzyber

Obviously Flexi is ridiculously overpriced, <o:p></o:p>
The FULL Design suite of adobe,(With all the bells and whistles is under half the price of Flexi. and adobe WORKS!!! The more I deal with flexi and flexi support, and flexi customer service the more POed I get,
Bunch of ID10Ts in tech, and the national sales rep is a prick.

It is not often I drop to this level of accusations, and speaking, but it is not often I run across a company as bad as SAi and Flexi

gpzjack

I read that turbo tax was losing tons of money cause they were ridiculous with there software and now i think its kinda open. I just started a while back and i think the dongle is horrible. I have no problem with paying for the software but i can't stand that i can't work at home unless i have that damn dongle and run the risk of losing it in transit. the thing i don't get is that if i had a copy of flexi without the dongle issue i can't really ever see me giving a copy of it to someone...who would i....its not like a universally used program like Office suite that i would have the whole neighborhood using. I just don't get it.

Techman

Also Crackable in the real world

Not when you have just a stub of software and the main parts are on a main server.. Look how the STEAM system works. Central access. And if you cheat they detect it in a matter of hours and they lock you out forever no recourse.

gvgraphics

Also Crackable in the real world . . . !

Everything is crackable! I only think by going the route SAi is going they will be more likely to see a decline in sales and a rise in cracked copies. I have no complaints about Flexi. It works 99% of the time as does most software. You will always have bugs and such in software. They will soon realize that the software most of us run now will do the same if not more than theres and they will have to overcome the challenges involved to get back in the market. A change of this nature can and has closed the doors of software manufactures in the past. They will set their own fate.

Lunatic Taskbar

Bring on the open source and freeware and shareware.

A company with out its customers is nothing. so who do you nurture, and protect Well most would think your customers... and a company that doesn't is doomed.