• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

No Such Thing

WildWestDesigns

There isn't such a thing as a true 100% vacation for me. At the hotel right no with my Qosmio laptop, Intuos 3, external drive with all my business files on it. I have Ai and Wings modular open (along with my favorite forum when I need to look away from what I'm doing). I have a hard time adjusting to working with just one monitor and the Intuos (I know I lead a hard hard life).

Anybody really have a true vacation or do we all have those little odds and ends that we do while we are gone?

binki

I haven't taken a vacation in a while but when I do I don't take computers, cell phones, pagers (do they still make those?) or anything else like that with me. Once you get over the anxiety of being out of the loop you will feel much better.

WildWestDesigns

Still rocking the pager huh? More power to you.

"Unplugging" is the hardest thing for me to do. I always feel like I should be doing something.

njshorts

Never. I always have my MacBook Pro and blackberry with me.

I hear ya, it's really difficult to unplug and just relax. I'm anxious about golf at 2, being away for 5-6 hours... Got a lot of stuff going and just can't seem to disconnect.

WildWestDesigns

Never. I always have my MacBook Pro and blackberry with me.

I hear ya, it's really difficult to unplug and just relax. I'm anxious about golf at 2, being away for 5-6 hours... Got a lot of stuff going and just can't seem to disconnect.

Damn the smart phones. I get an email and I just have to answer it. Drives the ole ball and chain nuts.

She is like "it's the weekend, they can wait for awhile". I try and try, but just can't seem to do it.

Craig Sjoquist

I do all the time ... leave your cell phone..enjoy where ever you are...take small one or a few days off.... LIFE IS TO SHORT ...to be glued to a PC or phone or work<< but family is worth every moment, it is easier to live without all the stuff then to live with everything, more rewarding to enjoy your family & friends.

iSign

Damn the smart phones. I get an email and I just have to answer it. Drives the ole ball and chain nuts.

She is like "it's the weekend, they can wait for awhile". I try and try, but just can't seem to do it.

I hear that... I returned my first smart phone and waited another 2 years because I couldn't even wait until I pulled over out of traffic... I think the new Hawaii law, Oprah's "no phone" pledge campaign, and promises to my sig other all conspired to make me avoid those pesky notifications when I'm driving... Most of the time :omg:

binki

I haven't seen the pager in about 12 years. I ditched my cell phone 6 years ago and have never been happier. The only thing I have left is the computer and it stays home on vacation.

weaselboogie

On vaca in the outer banks and here I sit infront of my laptop. I have 2 design jobs to do this week, but they're both minor. Plenty of time to do a whole lotta nothin.

thewvsignguy

Take a cruise! We took a Carnival cruise back in May from Baltimore to eastern Caribbean (Grand Turk, Half moon Cay and the Bahamas). We turned our blackberry's off when we left out of the Chesapeake Bay and they did not get turned back on until 6 days later. The roaming charges on the ship are about $6 per minute unless you have a international data plan. We did have internet access while on the ship but it was $65 for 100 minutes. We did a check in everyday and if something needed to be done then they just had to wait.

Our Blackberry's are glued to our sides, even chillin' on the boat on the weekends. If there is ever a question we are just a phone call away. Most people understand that we will get back to them asap when we get back in the office on Monday.

The best part is that we are for the most part un-stressed, work 10am-5pm Monday-Friday. Of course I get pissed when the employees mess something up but it's to be expected with their lack of knowledge. No one can do what we do because I have a passion for what I do and I expect perfection.:banghead:

Take a cruise, take a cruise, take a cruise and leave it all behind!!!:thumb:

Stealth Ryder

My vacation starts at midnight, I will be turning my phone off and do not intend to even look at my e-mail for a week... Waikiki, here I come... Please Ice Down alot of Bud Light and stock up on those little umbrellas for the mixed drinks...

WildWestDesigns

My vacation starts at midnight, I will be turning my phone off and do not intend to even look at my e-mail for a week... Waikiki, here I come... Please Ice Down alot of Bud Light and stock up on those little umbrellas for the mixed drinks...

Been a looooooonnnnnngggggg time since I've been down there. I was just a youngin.

We aren't the type for cruises, but I wouldn't do a train ride as far as I could. I was always a fan of a good ole fashioned train.

I'm just glad I'm not the only freak that still does work at funky hours.

Custom_Grafx

get up at 5 and go for a walk in the mornings. you won't feel it straight away but after a week or two, you'll notice more energy and you'll gradually feel like you're at least getting some fresh air and seeing some nature... go to a park, beach etc. even 10 minutes in the morning is all it takes.

artbot

i see no point in avoiding emails and such. within 1.5 days i'm getting anxious to get back to work. i'm good for about 3 days max. after that i'm just not having fun anymore.

Tim Kingston

Try harder. I know where you are coming from but I also know where you are headed. Like the old saying goes " nobody ever expresses on their death bed that they wished they had spent more time at the office". Give the important people in you life the priority they deserve, including yourself, especially yourself. That's my two cents, Tim.

kffernandez

i think being unplugged is a great idea, if not a necessity.
but with that being said, don't forget to leave auto reply emails and messages telling everybody that you are unplugged. it drives me nuts when people just don't answer calls or emails.

kelly

Stealth Ryder

I have decided recently that I am just not that important in the grand scheme of things I am sure that even though I am off the grid for a week the world will keep spinning... I am of the opinion that we all need a few days to ourselves every now and then, think I will enjoy my first vacation in alot of years... Aloha Everyone...