• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Non-Commercial Wraps

FrankenSigns.biz

We have sold a lot of wraps here in Charlotte, but over the years, 100% have been commercial wraps.

Very often we get calls from the "average Joe" looking for carbon fiber roofs and hoods, matte black body wraps, but we NEVER land the job. I am sure it's a pricing issue but I can't seem to get the price to a point that #1, is worth it for the company, and #2 a price the customer feels is affordable.

I know some shops are selling these, but not us. I have tried many pricing algorithms none of which land the client. Yesterday I quoted $1800 for a two door late-model pickup. He freaked and said he was sure he could get it for $1000 somewhere.

My quality is TOPs, I have the best installers in town, but I can't seem to make that a selling point to the average Joe. My guess is they want the best price and the best quality. I just don't know.

Any suggestions? Does this market exist, or have I just not run into the right customer with deep enough pockets?

Signsforwhile

We are mainly a commercial shop. We do some wraps, but mostly fabricating and electrical stuff. Every summer I have to deal with fill in the name car club. Usually you can hear the buzzing of honda civics rolling into our parking lot all parking neatly in a row. they all want their roofs wrapped black and a set of super custom decals for the windshield. i can't get past the fact that decals will be $30-$40 each, let alone the $400 for each roof. I've started telling 50% of the people looking for just custom work that we just don't to it, because like you we've sold ZERO of those jobs. people think that since it's vinyl it's going to be a lot less than having it painted.

it's honestly a nuisance but i feel like if i start telling people no to even quoting work i'll be the a**hole in town that doesn't need your work!

mind you i'm trying to sell a $400 roof wrap while the customer is admiring a $10k+ project in our shop!!

FrankenSigns.biz

We are mainly a commercial shop. We do some wraps, but mostly fabricating and electrical stuff. Every summer I have to deal with fill in the name car club. Usually you can hear the buzzing of honda civics rolling into our parking lot all parking neatly in a row. they all want their roofs wrapped black and a set of super custom decals for the windshield. i can't get past the fact that decals will be $30-$40 each, let alone the $400 for each roof. I've started telling 50% of the people looking for just custom work that we just don't to it, because like you we've sold ZERO of those jobs. people think that since it's vinyl it's going to be a lot less than having it painted.

it's honestly a nuisance but i feel like if i start telling people no to even quoting work i'll be the a**hole in town that doesn't need your work!

mind you i'm trying to sell a $400 roof wrap while the customer is admiring a $10k+ project in our shop!!

My sentiment exactly. On at least two recent occasions my production manager took it upon himself to tell the client "Thank you for your inquiry, but we only do commercial work."

I think this is a market that may not truly exist except for the occasional deep-pocketed customer or the independent installer selling his labor on Craigslist.

WildWestDesigns

I think this is a market that may not truly exist except for the occasional deep-pocketed customer or the independent installer selling his labor on Craigslist.

I'm afraid that it's that one more then anything. Even if you are in a relatively well to do area that can certainly afford it based on the average income of the area. You are still limited to the rare deep pocket ones that will want to do it.

I have several embroidery pieces that I show to people that have details, blends, puff, fringe etc, but in the end the one or two run item isn't going to happen when they hear the price tag associated with it. Those that can write it off as some type of expense though, will usually still do it, but just for the personal use, more often then not....no.

HulkSmash

It's most likely not you. "Good" Commercial companies understand the cost of wraps and advertisements. The average joe, has no idea how much it cost to change the color of his car, and when he hears it he's in disbelief. We get tons of those calls too. And we charge more for solid color change wraps, then commercial.

zymogenesyst

Custom car jobs are a real PIA. Most seem to think if it's vinyl it should be dirt cheap, which we all know isn't the case. When the carbon fiber 1080 films are damn near $50 a yard how the hell is anyone supposed to sell it and make any money?

FrankenSigns.biz

Here's a reply from a quote we sent out just this morning our quote was $2800:

"Oh wow, I’ve looked at a few other places and for a solid color it was going to be well under $1000. But I have looked at your gallery and your work is like tattoo work. Good work is not cheap and cheap work is not good!

Thanks!"

ucmj22

"Oh wow, I’ve looked at a few other places and for a solid color it was going to be well under $1000. But I have looked at your gallery and your work is like tattoo work. Good work is not cheap and cheap work is not good!

Thanks!"

people just dont understand the installation quality that is required to make a solid color wrap look good, from the lack of any imperfections to edge finishing. They would be sure to point them out though after you wrapped it for $700 and then report you to the BBB. I intentionally price myself out of this market.. its not worth it.

HulkSmash

Thanks!"

he's lying, i promise.

FrankenSigns.biz

We are getting 1-2 inquiries every single day. I kid you not. I think these inquiries are coming from our PPC instead of our organic search results. No easy way for me to tell the difference so, what a wasteful nuisance.

HulkSmash

We are getting 1-2 inquiries every single day. I kid you not. I think these inquiries are coming from our PPC instead of our organic search results. No easy way for me to tell the difference so, what a wasteful nuisance.

yes there is, google analytic. it tells you what time is was clicked and by how many ppl.

mnapuran

Yea... we do a few matte, carbon, etc wraps a month. Spring time seems to bring in more then other times. Typically is a roof, or a hood, or sometimes roof/hood/decklid. We also do a fair number of interior wraps, typically with Dinoc.

We just price them according to the materials used plus hourly labor. I would say 80% of those that come in to discuss the project typically come back and buy.

mikefine

Seems to me if you are literally getting 1-2 inquiries a day that you should try to turn that into dollars somehow. Can you find out who is doing it cheaper and outsource to that company? There is no risk of losing business customers because they are not commercial jobs, as you describe them. And you are currently not accepting the business anyway, so what is the worse that could happen?
Also, is there some way to take it down a notch or two, and offer an economy style product or service as an option? Maybe it doesn't have to be "tattoo" quality to be acceptable to you and in the marketplace. By the way, what does PPC mean?

jasonx

Qualify those people before they contact you.

Put up a guide on your web page. Maybe put some pricing guide lines for paint wraps on your page.

Filter the funnel before they take up your time on the phone, email or in person.

Maybe write a PDF about paint wraps what to look out for, install quality what sets you apart and some basic pricing guide lines.

If they still contact you then you need to close more of those deals.

J

john1

I know around here, Most will come to shops and ask how much to flat black, carbon or flat white their vehicles. Once they see the price, They hop on ebay and order the vinyl themselves and do it. I have seen it done so many times.

There was some guy on a forum who "wrapped" his BMW in Oracal 631 for a matte look, Yes the wall vinyl. Ever since then, I think the industry has been ruined for non-commercial wraps.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376442

HulkSmash

I know around here, Most will come to shops and ask how much to flat black, carbon or flat white their vehicles. Once they see the price, They hop on ebay and order the vinyl themselves and do it. I have seen it done so many times.

There was some guy on a forum who "wrapped" his BMW in Oracal 631 for a matte look, Yes the wall vinyl. Ever since then, I think the industry has been ruined for non-commercial wraps.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376442

Bump the guy all you want, but his install looks better than most ive seen installed from people on this site.

FrankenSigns.biz

Seems to me if you are literally getting 1-2 inquiries a day that you should try to turn that into dollars somehow. Can you find out who is doing it cheaper and outsource to that company? There is no risk of losing business customers because they are not commercial jobs, as you describe them. And you are currently not accepting the business anyway, so what is the worse that could happen?

By the way, what does PPC mean?

I agree Mike. I do want to turn these calls into dollars, but they simply are unqualified to do so. I've had two walk-ins asking about matte wraps on Friday alone. Waste of time.

PPC is an acronym for "pay per click" for paid search engine clicks. Probably for the phrase "car wraps".

FrankenSigns.biz

Here's a live one just came over the wire.

Hello,

I am searching for a company who can do a camo wrap for my son's '05 Honda Pilot for Christmas. Do you ever provide that type of service?

Thank you for your time,
Name Redacted

Let's take material costs and labor and come up with a price and let's see what happens. If there is money to be made here I have a constant funnel of prospects coming my way.

ThinkRight

Here's a live one just came over the wire.

Hello,

I am searching for a company who can do a camo wrap for my son's '05 Honda Pilot for Christmas. Do you ever provide that type of service?

Thank you for your time,
Name Redacted

Let's take material costs and labor and come up with a price and let's see what happens. If there is money to be made here I have a constant funnel of prospects coming my way.

Maybe you could spin off a retail / PITA wrap shop with lower overhead .
Hire a couple of guys to just do the wraps you supply.
Buy them a cutter to cut window tint and have a single bay garage to work in.
It will isolate this from your commercial stuff and other sign business.
And when those couple of guys are slow , they can help with your other work in the main shop.
/ just an idea....