• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Non-Compete Question

Branded Signs

Quick question - and feel free to bash me all you want because I am the one that screwed up.

Basically, I have employees that have signed non-compete clauses when they started working for me about 6 months ago. During the company transition, my personnel folder with my ORIGINAL non-compete agreements somehow came up missing. We made copies of the original, have the copies, plus scans in the computer system.

:banghead:

That being said, I am assuming that the copies are NOT binding, would that be correct?

I know this is a forum for people in the sign industry and not a legal counsel (which I have already contacted by the way to cover my rear just in case) - but I just wanted to get the thoughts of others business owners.

Again, feel free to tear me a new one if it feels applicable. In this business, we all have to have thick skin. :rock-n-roll:

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Are they competing with you now? I'm sure they would hold some legal weight since it IS their signatures nonetheless. I also think there is a time frame limit on how long they have to keep from being your competitor. It's a gray area concept anyway. If they are installers only and not producers...does that count? How many miles from your location did you specify they couldn't be? If a lawyer didn't draw up the contract..chances are a lawyer can find loopholes out of it.

AUTO-FX

I was sued ,way back in 1990 or so, for violating a non compete agreement, with my former employer and it seemed to me that the judge took a very liberal position in favor of the business owner. The original company I worked for had been a franchise which was dissolved at the corporate level, and the business owner never had new contracts drawn up for his new company , but the judge upheld the original contract almost in it's entirety. FWIW.

SignosaurusRex

NON-COMPETITION AGREEMENTS IN TEXAS

As a general proposition, an employer can restrict an employee’s post employment competition through a non-competition agreement, which is also commonly referred to as a covenant not to compete. A non-competition agreement typically restrains the employee from engaging in a competing business with his or her former employer, in a certain geographic area, for a limited period of time following the termination of the employment relationship.

While Texas courts have been historically reluctant to enforce non-competition agreements, the Texas legislature has enacted the Covenants Not to Compete Act (the “Act”), specifically making such agreements enforceable provided there is compliance with all of the provisions of the Act. Consequently, employers seeking to prevent employees from competing after their termination must carefully draft non-competition agreements to fit within the limited perimeters established by the legislature.

The Act provides for certain distinct elements that must be present in order for a non-competition agreement to be enforceable. The agreement must:

State and Federal Jury Trials
Be ancillary to or part of otherwise enforceable agreement at the time the agreement is made;
Protect a legitimate business interest;
Contain reasonable limitations as to the scope of activity to be restrained;
Contain reasonable geographical limitations; and
Contain reasonable durational limitations.

In interpreting the Act’s requirement that the covenant be “ancillary to or part of otherwise enforceable agreement” the Texas Supreme Court has held that an “at-will” employment relationship is not an “otherwise enforceable agreement” since it can be terminated by either party at any time for any reason. For this reason, a non-competition agreement that is ancillary only to an “at–will” employment agreement is invalid, no matter how reasonable and scope.

An employer cannot require an at-will employee to sign a non-competition agreement without providing some sort of independent “consideration” for the agreement. The consideration may be in the form of a bonus or a payment in addition to the employee’s salary. The consideration can also be a promise to provide confidential or proprietary information to the employee in exchange for the employee signing the non-competition agreement.

Assuming that the non-competition agreement is ancillary to otherwise enforceable agreement, it must still be reasonable in scope of the activity to be restrained. The non-competition agreement must restrain no more activity than is necessary to protect the legitimate business interest of the employer. Texas courts have consistently refused to enforce agreements that vaguely prohibit all competitive activity or prohibit employment in any capacity for a competitive entity. Texas courts have also refused to enforce agreements that prohibit activity unrelated to the work the employee preformed for the former employer.

Similarly, Texas courts have also determined that non-competition agreements that contain no geographical limitations or fail to limit the scope of activity to be restrained are unreasonable and unenforceable. Generally, a reasonable area of restraint consists of only the territory in which the employee worked for the former employer. Courts have also refused to enforce non-competition agreements with nation wide applicability when the employee did not have nation wide responsibilities for the former employer. However, keep in mind that the courts have authority to reform a non-competition agreement to narrow the scope or the geographical area of the agreement so as to make it enforceable.

Many employees assume that if they are laid off or otherwise involuntary terminated by the employer that the employer cannot seek an enforcement of a non-competition agreement previously signed by the employee. This is a false assumption. Unless the contract specifically provides that it is only enforceable in the event of the employee’s voluntary termination, then the employer can seek to enforce a non-competition agreement, even when the employer caused the employee to be terminated.

Employees who are presented with a non-competition agreement should carefully consider the impact that the covenant may have upon their future employment in the event that the employment is later terminated. Further, even though no independent consideration may be given for the non-competition agreement, or the agreement is completely invalid on its face as being over-broad in scope or other restrictions, the employee may very well be subjecting himself or herself to a lawsuit in the future by an employer seeking to enforce the non-competition agreement. The price of defending these lawsuits can be extremely costly. Likewise, a future employer may be reluctant to hire or retain an employee who has previously signed a non-competition agreement as the future employer may not want to take the risk of being subjected to a lawsuit involving the non-competition agreement. Thus, any employee who is presented with a non-competition agreement would be well advised to have it carefully reviewed by an attorney prior to execution.

mikefine

If an employee leaves and takes customers with them, are you really going to take the time, energy, and money to sue the former employee? I just don't think it would be worth it. We all lose customers for various reasons. Sometimes they don't like the way you dress. Sometimes it happens to be because an employee leaves. It is just part of being in business. I think you are stressing over something you can't control.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Quick question - and feel free to bash me all you want because I am the one that screwed up.

Basically, I have employees that have signed non-compete clauses when they started working for me about 6 months ago. During the company transition, my personnel folder with my ORIGINAL non-compete agreements somehow came up missing. We made copies of the original, have the copies, plus scans in the computer system.

:banghead:

That being said, I am assuming that the copies are NOT binding, would that be correct?...

I should think that you'll find that concepts like 'binding' which to normal people are a simple objective two-state declaration. Either on or off, binding or not binding.

To the diseased legal mind, not so much. In legal looking-glass land the law, and by extension reality, is what you can convince a court it is. A simple two-state quality can and will be interpreted as being infinitely valued, like pain or tastiness, should it suit the purposes of whichever side is arguing.

To cut to the chase; while a copy might not be binding, it's a whole hell of a lot more binding than no copy at all.

Pat Whatley

Doesn't matter if a lawyer drew it up or not. Unless you're dealing with high-level trade secrets (which would be shocking in this business) you'll have a hard time enforcing it. Texas is a right-to-work state.

As far as photocopies being legal they are. They're easier for someone to dispute if it comes down to that (a non-compete won't) but they are admissible in court.

Branded Signs

Thanks for all of the tips folks. My only concern would be my sales manager dropping our customer list onto a flash drive and going into business for himself. As it stands, the non-compete was drawn up with a 10-mile radius limit, and industry limitations of one year.

I feel that an employee has the right to work wherever he or she pleases, and if someone were to leave, I wouldn't make any effort to enforce the non-compete if they went to the sign company across the street. It's the protection against the customer database that would concern me a bit.

Again - thank you for the tips. As always, Signs101 makes me look at things outside the box a bit.

SignosaurusRex

If your sales manager does leave, start his own gig and approach your clients...how many clients do you think will jump ship and go with him? Why? What does that say about them as clients and do you really want them if they will jump so readily? Is his ethics so low as to do that? What is to stop him from doing that in 6 months or a year (outside of agreement time limits)? If you are concerned now about your sales manager, there must be a reason and now is a good time to explore your options in dealing with him now if you think he can do harm to your biz in the event he does leave. If he is worth keeping, make it easy for him to want to stay. If he isn't worth keeping, what kind of real / lasting damage do you think he can do.

ForgeInc

I am sure there is a fairly simple black and white legal answer to your question most of us here aren't qualified to answer, but consider this: Dealing with non-competes and the legality of them is such a huge can of worms...similar to what others have said, if you are looking to legally enforce them, are you really ready to drag your clients into a courtroom to discuss the ins and outs of any non-compete agreements you have or don't have in place? How good does it make your business look in the long run to any potential future customers? The world is too small...

We have a pretty simple philosophy here, which is to always be looking forward and not backward over your shoulder. If you have a good quality product you produce, your customers should want to stay with you regardless of who they interface with at your company.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
A Non-Compete Clause is not going to easily be enforced with originals or copies. If someone leaves your employment on their own or you fire them.... it's very hard to tell someone trained to do something, you will not let them work within a certain radius of you. That's absurd. You can't stop a person from making a liviing.

However, your concern of someone taking your customer files and whatever other business information is another thing completely. It's called theft and it has many variations and penalties to go with it.

Regardless if this ex-employee developed, cultivated or is related to your customers.... that is your private property. He/she has no right or business to that information from written files, electronic files or from sheer memory. No contract is needed to prevent prosecuting a thief.

So, while you can't rob them of making a livelihood, neither can they steal yours.

Techman

Unless you're dealing with high-level trade secrets

Any trade secret of the business is high level. The business model as described by the business plan is the trade secret. The steps taken to manufacture a specific item is a trade secret. Just about anything doe in the shop can be a trade secret. All it takes is the ability to articulate it as such.

If fact, training a person to manage or facilitate certain aspects of the business is a trade secret.

I used non competes in Louisiana with any one who became privy to the business model. They do work if only at a psychological level. The person who took over my business interest there uses them.

Learn how to articulate your business needs so you protect yourself.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
If an employee leaves and takes customers with them, are you really going to take the time, energy, and money to sue the former employee? I just don't think it would be worth it. We all lose customers for various reasons. Sometimes they don't like the way you dress. Sometimes it happens to be because an employee leaves. It is just part of being in business. I think you are stressing over something you can't control.

+1

MikePro

:::facepalm:::
are there really people in our industry that don't see the need for non-competes?

i would love to work for you, for 1 month.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Non-compete agreements in our industry make sense while the employee is working for you, makes less backroom deals where you pay them to take a customer for themselves. And rightfully so, if it's a sales person who is intimate with a client list only they serve ... a non-compete for a short period is ideal, it allows a customer to become accustomed to a new sales person without the old former employee trying to drag that person away.

That being said, your average vinyl jockey shop assistant ... i won't make him sign a non-compete unless i know he's doing side work, and that is only for while he works for me. they know little about a clients needs and if a customer jumps with them ... good riddance.

Otherwise, non-competes are pointless ... as enforcing them really will cost you more in legal fees that just replacing that p.o.s. customer that left you cause their fave guy doesn't want to work for you anymore.