• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Northern Sign Shop Cold Temperature vynal

farside_77

We are a sign shop based out of northern British Columbia, Canada and we have harsh winters, our competition has a vinyl that can be installed at -2 C and my question is what is the coldest application vinyl you guys know of.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's a toughie.

When I was young, we had to walk to school up hill in 3 to 4 foot of snow and the walk back home was also up hill, which made for a very tiring day. Our hair would freeze and I even saw birds frozen in bird baths who couldn't fly away. Poor little things.

I would say if you can stand in -40ºC or F and you still have dexterity in your fingers, you can go that low. The type of vinyl probably won't matter as it will freeze long before your fingers, but with some magic weasel p!ss, you should be able to pull it off.

Seriously, you shouldn't be putting vinyl on anything in much under 45º. Regardless of what these masters say, the adhesive won't take effect for weeks. Either bring your jobs inside [unless these were the temperatures inside your shop] or tell your customers to wait for warmer weather.

rjssigns

Gino is right. You're just below freezing.

We have done outdoor installs in Jan/Feb but we use heaters to get whatever to proper install temp. PITA, but when ya gotta ya gotta.

Ask your competition how many of those -2 special vinyl jobs fail.

Just noticed it said can be. Does it actually happen is the question.

IMO it's a bunch of B.S.

reQ

I would talk about Saskabush winters and how cold its here but yeah, Gino is right about application of vinyl. Even if it will kinda stick when you apply it when its cold as heck, you might damage it since vinyl becomes fragile in cold temps

Techman

over this a way with our -10 temps..
Last week it was down to -20
We used to install when it was cold... but used a blanket before and after along with a little heater. Once the substrate is up above freezing its good to go. Keep the area warm for a few after the vinyl is down then you are done. Let it stay warm for a few minutes and you are ready to go. Used a mylar sheet many times as a blanket and wind block. One guy used that bubble wrap to keep the glass or metal warm enough.

Use rapid tac or rapid tac II for the vinyl you are using.