Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not getting solid black?

Discussion in 'Roland' started by geckophoto, Feb 4, 2019.

1. geckophoto

geckophoto Member

Dec 26, 2017
    Ft. Myers
    Ok, I use Illustrator and then run my file thru Versaworks, just did a basic boat lettering job and set the black in illustrator to the black swatch, ran my numbers and the black is not a pure solid black like the print/alignment/cut marks the machine printed once I laminate it.

Not a head issue, nozzles are all fine, the alignment marks are deep solid black, any advice on my settings in illustrator or versaworks? Thanks!

Tags:
  2. Solventinkjet

Solventinkjet DIY Printer Fixing Guide

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    The black swatch in Illustrator is normally 100% K. To obtain a deeper black you want to use a rich black CMYK value. People all have their preferences but the standard is 50% C 50% M 50% Y 100%K. The RIP will still try to reinterpret that color based on your color profile so if you want to have 100% control over the CMYK values you can create a special color in Versaworks that replaces say 100% K with 50% C 50% M 50% Y 100%K automatically so you don't have to think about it in the future.

• Like Like x 3
  3. bannertime

bannertime Very Active Member

Sep 8, 2016
    No
    Almost like we need a sticky post for this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. TimToad

TimToad Very Active Member

Jun 13, 2013
    CA
    Illustrator has the Libraries feature where you can save color swatches and other items that are frequently used. I've got a couple of different rich blacks in there, my CutContour swatch, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JoeDG

JoeDG Wide format trainer and creative enthusiast

Jul 16, 2018
    Bristol - UK
    There are 2 x Black options in the Roland Color Systems Library, one 100% K and one composite. Using these will give you consistent results and not change with colour management settings :)

6. Sign Works

Sign Works Very Active Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Also depends on what profile is used. RGB black (0% R , 0% G , 0% B) in artwork, Roland SP-300V and using profile Oracal 3651 lays down an intense black, literally a puddle of black so thick you can see and feel how thick the ink layer is.

7. spectrum maine

spectrum maine Member

Nov 1, 2012
    biddeford, maine
    my jpeg or tiffs always print better when designed in rgb vs cmyk. i am using corel. i can not get a decent black in .eps file mode at all.

8. strypguy

strypguy Active Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Carroll, Iowa
    If you have the VesaWorks color library installed in Illustrator use spot color BK21A. It gives me consistent blacks every time. John

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Joe House

Joe House Active Member

Feb 5, 2004
    WA
    The reg marks are printed using black only. BK21A is black only - give that a try. Better yet, print out the entire Roland Color Library Chart and pick the one you like best.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ColorCrest

ColorCrest Active Member

Dec 11, 2017
    So Cal
    First things first, go to Illustrator preferences to the Appearance of Black tab and notice some of the options. Check to see if you're set to Display All Blacks Accurately and Printing / Exporting Output All Blacks Accurately.

11. ColorCrest

ColorCrest Active Member

Dec 11, 2017
    So Cal
    The trouble with this method is one does not really have control at all. The given number values are only arbitrary because there is no context as to what color space they're in. The values could possibly result in over-inking or the contrary.

Also, could the OP be designing in RGB where black is defined as an easy 0, 0, 0, no-doubt-about-it-black in any of the common RGB color spaces in any software, layout / RIP / display, etc?

12. ColorCrest

ColorCrest Active Member

Dec 11, 2017
    So Cal
    The setup you're using could use attention to remedy the waste of ink.

13. ColorCrest

ColorCrest Active Member

Dec 11, 2017
    So Cal
    EPS files by themselves don't carry an ICC profile. You might try a PDF file type instead but there are still a lot of variables here as far as settings and workflow.

14. ColorCrest

ColorCrest Active Member

Dec 11, 2017
    So Cal
    I'm sure it's working for but you might be interested to know that the particular swatch is meant to reproduce as a very, very dark gray. (Just above black using a standard 20-step photographer's gray scale.)

15. ColorCrest

ColorCrest Active Member

Dec 11, 2017
    So Cal
    Usually reg marks are imaged using 100% of CMYK to show actual registration of the 4 colors, thus reg marks.

16. ColorCrest

ColorCrest Active Member

Dec 11, 2017
    So Cal
    Are you sure this is accurate?

17. SignStudent

SignStudent Member

Jun 12, 2010
    TN
    I'm looking at my chart on the wall right now and BK21A is 0% C, 0% M, 0% Y, 100% K. BK22A is composite, or rich, black.

18. ColorCrest

ColorCrest Active Member

Dec 11, 2017
    So Cal
    Do you know where the chart came from and what type of file it's made from? PDF out of Illustrator, Corel maybe? Does your chart have values actually printed along side the swatches?

19. Joe House

Joe House Active Member

Feb 5, 2004
    WA
    We're referring to the print/cut registration marks here, not color registration marks. The printer only uses black so there are no blurry edges in the case of print head alignment problems.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. ColorCrest

ColorCrest Active Member

Dec 11, 2017
    So Cal
    Understood except...
    ...the OP already has good marks in rich black as to the marks he's already printed. I think you're suggesting he try only a single channel black which may be his trouble to begin with, no?