• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Not getting solid black?

geckophoto

Ok, I use Illustrator and then run my file thru Versaworks, just did a basic boat lettering job and set the black in illustrator to the black swatch, ran my numbers and the black is not a pure solid black like the print/alignment/cut marks the machine printed once I laminate it.

Not a head issue, nozzles are all fine, the alignment marks are deep solid black, any advice on my settings in illustrator or versaworks? Thanks!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The black swatch in Illustrator is normally 100% K. To obtain a deeper black you want to use a rich black CMYK value. People all have their preferences but the standard is 50% C 50% M 50% Y 100%K. The RIP will still try to reinterpret that color based on your color profile so if you want to have 100% control over the CMYK values you can create a special color in Versaworks that replaces say 100% K with 50% C 50% M 50% Y 100%K automatically so you don't have to think about it in the future.

bannertime

The black swatch in Illustrator is normally 100% K. To obtain a deeper black you want to use a rich black CMYK value. People all have their preferences but the standard is 50% C 50% M 50% Y 100%K. The RIP will still try to reinterpret that color based on your color profile so if you want to have 100% control over the CMYK values you can create a special color in Versaworks that replaces say 100% K with 50% C 50% M 50% Y 100%K automatically so you don't have to think about it in the future.

Almost like we need a sticky post for this.

TimToad

Illustrator has the Libraries feature where you can save color swatches and other items that are frequently used. I've got a couple of different rich blacks in there, my CutContour swatch, etc.

JoeDG

Wide format trainer and creative enthusiast
There are 2 x Black options in the Roland Color Systems Library, one 100% K and one composite. Using these will give you consistent results and not change with colour management settings :)

Sign Works

Also depends on what profile is used. RGB black (0% R , 0% G , 0% B) in artwork, Roland SP-300V and using profile Oracal 3651 lays down an intense black, literally a puddle of black so thick you can see and feel how thick the ink layer is.

spectrum maine

my jpeg or tiffs always print better when designed in rgb vs cmyk. i am using corel. i can not get a decent black in .eps file mode at all.

strypguy

If you have the VesaWorks color library installed in Illustrator use spot color BK21A. It gives me consistent blacks every time. John

Joe House

The reg marks are printed using black only. BK21A is black only - give that a try. Better yet, print out the entire Roland Color Library Chart and pick the one you like best.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Ok, I use Illustrator and then run my file thru Versaworks, just did a basic boat lettering job and set the black in illustrator to the black swatch, ran my numbers and the black is not a pure solid black like the print/alignment/cut marks the machine printed once I laminate it.

Not a head issue, nozzles are all fine, the alignment marks are deep solid black, any advice on my settings in illustrator or versaworks? Thanks!

First things first, go to Illustrator preferences to the Appearance of Black tab and notice some of the options. Check to see if you're set to Display All Blacks Accurately and Printing / Exporting Output All Blacks Accurately.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.

The trouble with this method is one does not really have control at all. The given number values are only arbitrary because there is no context as to what color space they're in. The values could possibly result in over-inking or the contrary.

Also, could the OP be designing in RGB where black is defined as an easy 0, 0, 0, no-doubt-about-it-black in any of the common RGB color spaces in any software, layout / RIP / display, etc?

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Also depends on what profile is used. RGB black (0% R , 0% G , 0% B) in artwork, Roland SP-300V and using profile Oracal 3651 lays down an intense black, literally a puddle of black so thick you can see and feel how thick the ink layer is.

The setup you're using could use attention to remedy the waste of ink.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
my jpeg or tiffs always print better when designed in rgb vs cmyk. i am using corel. i can not get a decent black in .eps file mode at all.

EPS files by themselves don't carry an ICC profile. You might try a PDF file type instead but there are still a lot of variables here as far as settings and workflow.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
If you have the VesaWorks color library installed in Illustrator use spot color BK21A. It gives me consistent blacks every time. John

I'm sure it's working for but you might be interested to know that the particular swatch is meant to reproduce as a very, very dark gray. (Just above black using a standard 20-step photographer's gray scale.)

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
The reg marks are printed using black only. BK21A is black only - give that a try. Better yet, print out the entire Roland Color Library Chart and pick the one you like best.

Usually reg marks are imaged using 100% of CMYK to show actual registration of the 4 colors, thus reg marks.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I'm looking at my chart on the wall right now and BK21A is 0% C, 0% M, 0% Y, 100% K. BK22A is composite, or rich, black.

Do you know where the chart came from and what type of file it's made from? PDF out of Illustrator, Corel maybe? Does your chart have values actually printed along side the swatches?

Joe House

Usually reg marks are imaged using 100% of CMYK to show actual registration of the 4 colors, thus reg marks.

We're referring to the print/cut registration marks here, not color registration marks. The printer only uses black so there are no blurry edges in the case of print head alignment problems.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
We're referring to the print/cut registration marks here, not color registration marks. The printer only uses black so there are no blurry edges in the case of print head alignment problems.

Understood except...
the black is not a pure solid black like the print/alignment/cut marks the machine printed

...the OP already has good marks in rich black as to the marks he's already printed. I think you're suggesting he try only a single channel black which may be his trouble to begin with, no?