• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Not getting solid black?

Joe House

Talking colors in a chat forum is difficult to make clear. The "Pure solid black" he's seeking seems to be a somewhat contradictory statement to me. Pure black would be a single channel black, with the solid black quality would be accomplished better by a rich black 4 color mixture.
Some people prefer a rich black mix (of which there are many preferred recipies) while some prefer the pure black option. It's all pretty subjective. But if he wants the same black that his printer uses to print the registration marks, then using the BK21 as a spot color, making sure that Convert Spot Color is checked in the file format tab or, alternately, choosing an RGB 0,0,0 or CMYK 0,0,0,100 with "Preserve Primary Colors" checked in the Color Management Properties box on the Quality Tab will get you that black using only K ink - with only ink limits applied. Other combinations will get interpreted by the RIP and likely give you some form of a rich black. I forget what print mode is used for the reg marks, but it will be either Standard or HQ - this can also affect the quality of the black as well.
Then again, we haven't seen a nozzle test print either. Missing nozzles in some colors will turn a rich black on it's head with

SignStudent

Do you know where the chart came from and what type of file it's made from? PDF out of Illustrator, Corel maybe? Does your chart have values actually printed along side the swatches?
Versaworks has an option to import different color charts if you look in the Media menu at the top of the window. The color selector has the CMYK values for every swatch. I've always just used RGB (0,0,0) instead of CMYK for rich black with good results.