• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Not liking the new site design.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, I hafta admit, it will take some time getting used to, but I'm having trouble finding some of the things which were literally at my fingertips. I know it's just a matter of getting used to, but some getting used to is hard to do for us old guys............ :rolleyes:

petesign

So far, only gripe is the list of pages being at the top. If you scroll down to see a thread and need to go to another page, you have to scroll back up again to go to the next page. Not that it takes a bunch of effort or anything, it just made more sense for the page list to be at the bottom.

signage

So far, only gripe is the list of pages being at the top. If you scroll down to see a thread and need to go to another page, you have to scroll back up again to go to the next page. Not that it takes a bunch of effort or anything, it just made more sense for the page list to be at the bottom.

I would have to agree with this!

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Myself as well. Not knowing which threads to which one has responded, at least it's not evident, is Not A Good Thing. Likewise the seeming expansion of the superfluous trivial information about who might be reading a thread, similar threads, etc, is pretty much a waste of space.

On the two right-most areas showing when you select 'new Posts' there doesn't appear to be sufficient room for the two lines of text regarding the last post and the forum. At least on Firefox only the top half of the second line of text appears.

particleman

I like having the pages listed on the home page now. However, yes the list of pages should be on the bottom of the page also. This isn't very difficult to add with Vbulletin.

rdmdarr

+2

It is gettting annoying.

VTG

I like having the pages listed on the home page now. However, yes the list of pages should be on the bottom of the page also. This isn't very difficult to add with Vbulletin.

I agree, having the pages listed on the "home page" is much much better (compared to the old way, clicking on "more").

The optimal set up would be to have the list of pages displayed at the top and the bottom of the page.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Here's the thing guys and gals ...

We were running on version 3 of our forum software and portal software and getting more and more vulnerable to hackers. Our portal software is no longer being published because the owner died about four or five years ago. This upgrade took us to the current stable version of our forum software and we also changed to a new portal software. So this was a major change internally that Anthony and I spent six months testing on a test site before I OK'd the change. For me, there is a lot more that is new to learn than for all of you. We've made every effort to preserve the look and feel of the old software. So whatever is different for you may take some getting used to and we are looking for comments, so keep them coming.

The new software is mostly CSS based while the old was template based. Making changes is more difficult now for me. This means that a few changes we made over the last ten years may be more difficult to do or have been lost forever. The red text display of premium forums was a template change that Bobby Fosson figured out as a hack ... It is gone forever. The different styles, like Carbon and Harvest are something I will try to recreate in the future, but for now are gone. Indicators that you have posted in a thread, etc. were probably in the design of the old portal software and not in the new. The positioning of the page numbers in the Recent Threads block is something I had changed. If most prefer it at the bottom, I will change it to there.

The new software makes us safer, supposedly faster and has a number of new features including an improved search. We hope those of you who are put off by the new interface will give it a chance for you to get used to it.

Craig Sjoquist

Not liking either .. seems to take forever to get anywhere, extra clicking, not user friendly looking at all.

If I were just new to site I'd probably put this one on the back burner & slowly get use to it .. like I'll most likely do now.

Do hope it is a improvement cause Fred you have done a outstanding job, way beyond really & ya probably know better & see this as less work or hassle or better options, something... but sees nothing here so will see what the future holds.

tsgstl

change is always hard. But in a few days time it would be worse to go back because you are used to the current setup.
Being a admin is not fun, our v-bulletin site is constantly attacked by spyware. Before we switched over to our current "more secure" copy we had to delete on average 20 fake spambot accounts a day.
I have always approached it as simpler is better. There seem to be a ton of options on signs101 that we don't offer.

There are only 2 things I like about our site that are not here:
1. we have a chatbox, it is like a instant message type setup so you can chat with other members in kind of like a room setting. (hard to manage with a large community like this so I kind of understand) (although would be a very enticing premium account upgrade)
2. when you click a thread it instantly goes to the last post instead of the top. If you go through the forums and click it goes to the first post, but with the updated thread list like I assume most use on this site it is nice not to scroll all the way down to the bottom of a thread that you have already read.

I say do what you need to do and everyone should be grateful for the support team here, they are second to none trust me

TheSnowman

I finally figured out why I couldn't log in! I had bookmarked the old "current threads" page. That's no longer there, so I do have to admit, the threads on the main page is nice. I kinda like the new look. It's just like Facebook. No one likes the upgrades, but it's always nice once you get used to it.

phototec

Like most that have replied here, not a fan of this NEW everything, however I have never shied away from change, and Fred says it ill have an improved search function, the old search was HORRIBLE, I could never find anything...

I guess i time I will get use to the new change...

:wavingflag:

gnatt66

change is tough...esp for message board peeps. there's lots of menus and once they get hardwired...its hard to change. vbulletin is the BEST mb software in the world...v4 is the next logical step. we'll all get used to it!