Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not sure how to this.

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by Jim Hill, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Jim Hill

Jim Hill Active Member

I made some stickers for a customer for the outside of his business windows for a car show.

Now he has asked me to make some more but he wants them to be placed on the inside of the windows this time.

I am using a Roland Versacamm but have never done this.

Any help you can offer would be great.

Thanks Jim

Tags:
  2. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    print on clear vinyl but click the mirror box in your set up (versa works) and the decal will print backwards after it is dry or done outgassing/airgassing
    laminate white vinyl to it ...bam...instant window decal

3. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Merchant Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    Or you can just print on a polypro material and use face mount adhesive. Its quick and your images look great.

4. petepaz

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    sorry make sure when you put the white vinyl on you don't cover your print/cut alignment marks only cover the decal are this way you can still put it back in the machine to cut

5. Ponto

Ponto Active Member

Nov 24, 2008

....I've covered the alignment marks with low tac premask, laminated with the white and then trimmed the alignment area covered by the premask.... marks stay in place and you're off to the races........

JP

6. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    You people work way too hard. A rudimentary understanding of simple geometry is all that's needed.

Don't worry about the registration marks. Print the mirror image on the clear, laminate with the white [be sure to use a white with a clear adhesive], flip the print over, clear side up, load it in your plotter, and mirror the cut image back to normal.

In other words, print the mirror image, cut the non-mirrored image. This assumes that you're using 4 registrations marks ala the Graphtec type one or type two. Your mileage may vary. It also assumes that you're competent to set your plotter just so to cut the laminated print sans backing.

7. BigfishDM

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    Solvent Photo Paper $0.23 sq.ft
    Double Sided Optically Clear Permanent/Removable Face mount $0.39

Is the other way cheaper?

8. sjm

sjm Member

Feb 20, 2010
    +1

9. Jim Hill

Jim Hill Active Member

Thanks for the advice.

Please explain just what these materials are.

polypro material and face mount adhesive?

Should my supply house have these materials or do I need to order them somewhere else?

Thanks Jim

10. cgsigns_jamie

cgsigns_jamie Very Active Member

If I'm reading this right (I'm sure you'll let me know otherwise)
    After you've laminated your printed clear vinyl with white vinyl. You remove the graphic from the liner/backing then load it into your plotter, clear side up.

11. sjm

sjm Member

Feb 20, 2010
    The laminate that is printed on has a clear backer. So there is nothing to remove.

12. cgsigns_jamie

I think that's where I'm getting confused... I'm thinking you're printing on clear vinyl than laminating with white vinyl.

13. sjm

sjm Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Yes you understand correct about backing up the print that has been printed mirror image on a cast or calendered PSA laminate with a white vinyl that has a clear adhesive vs and opaque one.

I think the confusion lies in that you understood the material you printed on had a white backer and not a clear backer as described.

14. cgsigns_jamie

Even if it had a clear backer and you cut it on the plotter, wouldn't you have to cut through the liner and both layers of vinyl?

15. petepaz

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    you can't do that on a versa camm
    the way the alignment marks print they can only go one way
    one corner has a dot plus a rectanlge so it can not be put in the wrong way but nice try

16. sjm

sjm Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Do it all the time. In fact it works great and we just recently designed a template this way to ensure that a guitar that we were going to directly image onto before we CNC'ed a 1.75" piece of material to house the guitar during transport through our flatbed fit precisely.

17. BigfishDM

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    Polypropylene is a nice tear resistant material that looks almost like a photo paper but is tear proof. Face mount is double sided clear tape that is permanent on one side and removable on the other. It is also optically clear so you dont distort your graphics. You should buy them from me cause I sell those products and my price should be better then your other company.

18. btropical.com

btropical.com Active Member

Jun 4, 2007
    We print as usual and then place a square or round of clear vinyl from backside with 3/8 overlap to stick to inside of windshield . Supply customer with regular stickers and give him a handfull of clear backings . Let him do the work if its just a couple of stickers .

19. ddarlak

ddarlak Trump Hater

you even work too hard....

print decal reverse image on clear.

contour cut

take a can of white spray paint and paint it....

DONE

20. ddarlak

ddarlak Trump Hater

i would argue that a rudimentary understanding of signmaking is better in this case than your knowledge base of geometry.....