• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Not sure I'm thinking correctly.........................

neutrinocv

Gino
I have been reading Mike Adams’ book about business storytelling. What caught my attention is that stories can reduce the push back. And then, I was reading about how they can be the path to success. I started thinking about your story and decided to apply what I have learned. Take a look this story and see if you can make it your own.
# # # # #
Mr. John Doe, on Tuesday, August 4th, 2020, I was happy to hear that you need some work done on your equipment. Over the years, I have grown to really appreciate your loyal relationship with me and my company. Those thoughts came into my mind as I saw your new project.
As things moved along, we agreed together that your equipment would be at my place on Thursday, August 13th, at 8 a.m. (Note: 13 is not my favorite number.)
Then, on Wednesday, I began to go through many steps to prepare a large space for your equipment, and get everything lined up to be ready to start just as soon as it arrived. I knew it would take a couple of my highly skilled crew members, so I blocked out their time. Then, just to be sure, I went over all of my plans with my top team member. I was confident that we were ready to take excellent care of your project in a timely manner. I felt good about it.
Alas, at 8 a.m. the next morning, your equipment was not here. At 8:30 it was not here. My feeling good about it began to turn south. I tried to phone you, but could not get through. Let me tell you, I was starting to feel anger, frustration, all feelings that I do not like to have. I am not able to think straight when I have those feelings. It makes a mess of my whole day, and strangely ripples through my staff.
I am hoping that we can come to some kind of workable solution. I am in a calm mood right now, so it might be a good time to negotiate. Please phone me.
# # # # #
Gino, what do you think? I would enjoy re-writing it to fit your exact situation.
Seriously ?

Johnny Best

Robert, your story reminded me of a teenage girl whose mother and her spent the whole day cleaning the basement to get ready for a party she was planning for her new boyfriend, 45s stacked high on the turntable and dark light and couches for making out, and cucumber sandwiches cut in triangles with the crust cut off. She had texted him and tried to call because they had set a date and time but did not show up as he had promised. She was really mad because she was not going to be pulling her panties down for him anymore. Oh if only he would call and maybe we could have a workable solution to this problem. She had gotten in a calm mood and she was ready to negotiate with him and say she was ready to go all the way.
The illustrations for this story have her boyfriend looking like the Fonzie and girlfriend and mother looking like a 1950s soap ad, smiling and hair done up in Good Housekeeping.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Robert, your story reminded me of a teenage girl whose mother and her spent the whole day cleaning the basement to get ready for a party she was planning for her new boyfriend, 45s stacked high on the turntable and dark light and couches for making out, and cucumber sandwiches cut in triangles with the crust cut off. She had texted him and tried to call because they had set a date and time but did not show up as he had promised. She was really mad because she was not going to be pulling her panties down for him anymore. Oh if only he would call and maybe we could have a workable solution to this problem. She had gotten in a calm mood and she was ready to negotiate with him and say she was ready to go all the way.
The illustrations for this story have her boyfriend looking like the Fonzie and girlfriend and mother looking like a 1950s soap ad, smiling and hair done up in Good Housekeeping.
Does this mean gino's not pulling his panties down for the dumpster guy anymore?

Johnny Best

Gino's working on a workable solution. But after eating all the sandwiches and pouting for a week Gino put on a few pounds, the boyfriend is now with the mother.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Gino
I have been reading Mike Adams’ book about business storytelling. What caught my attention is that stories can reduce the push back. And then, I was reading about how they can be the path to success. I started thinking about your story and decided to apply what I have learned. Take a look this story and see if you can make it your own.
# # # # #
Mr. John Doe, on Tuesday, August 4th, 2020, I was happy to hear that you need some work done on your equipment. Over the years, I have grown to really appreciate your loyal relationship with me and my company. Those thoughts came into my mind as I saw your new project.
As things moved along, we agreed together that your equipment would be at my place on Thursday, August 13th, at 8 a.m. (Note: 13 is not my favorite number.)
Then, on Wednesday, I began to go through many steps to prepare a large space for your equipment, and get everything lined up to be ready to start just as soon as it arrived. I knew it would take a couple of my highly skilled crew members, so I blocked out their time. Then, just to be sure, I went over all of my plans with my top team member. I was confident that we were ready to take excellent care of your project in a timely manner. I felt good about it.
Alas, at 8 a.m. the next morning, your equipment was not here. At 8:30 it was not here. My feeling good about it began to turn south. I tried to phone you, but could not get through. Let me tell you, I was starting to feel anger, frustration, all feelings that I do not like to have. I am not able to think straight when I have those feelings. It makes a mess of my whole day, and strangely ripples through my staff.
I am hoping that we can come to some kind of workable solution. I am in a calm mood right now, so it might be a good time to negotiate. Please phone me.
# # # # #
Gino, what do you think? I would enjoy re-writing it to fit your exact situation.
Gino, do NOT say that.
Robert...if someone said that to me the first thing I would think is "drama queen" and I would never go back.
LESS IS MORE.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Just a few more of these posts and I think I will be properly warmed up for the Presidential debates.

Eforcer

Gino that is a rough call. We all have a few of those & I have mouth off plenty of times how F'd up they are to ruin our schedule but complain that we are not on time. My take would be to get mad enough and just deal with their unprofessional dealings.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ummm..... on May 20th, he didn't show up. I called him to find out whadafug ?? Bullsh!t kinda answer came outta his mouth. July 16th he didn't show up. I called him and he gave me another bullsh!t story. September something, he didn't show up and I didn't call him. He called me over a week later and said he wanted to schedule 3 dumpsters. We made the arrangements and again, a NO SHOW. I called him late in the day and no answer, but I got a call from his office at near closing time with another silly excuse. I have not grown to like him or his jobs..... only getting paid when they're finished. He is not gonna have a conversation anything remotely like the one in your story. In fact, no disrespect, but I don't know of many business people who have conversations such as the one you cited. I'm in business, he's in business. The idea is to make jobs, produce money and move on. Not play babysitter to some dipsh!t who can't tell time....... or what day of the week it is at his convenience. This is getting to be like trying to talk to biden. This should really be good tonight.

Thanks Robert, but your scenario really doesn't fit in the real world. Yeah, maybe some guy who made it big can go around writing books about these kinda things, fudge the real storyline and get paid for suckers buying his books.

Thing is, when one makes a decision and it goes well, he's a genius, but if he the same guy makes the same decision and it doesn't go well, he's a dope. Same decision, but 2 different outcomes. Two titles.
It's kinda like something I was taught many many years ago........ stick to the facts, then make your call. don't write a fairytale and expect a different outcome.

For you Robert...... It's raining outside and coming down rather steadily for quite some time. The guy & gal who had a picnic planned are p!ssed off, cause the rain stopped them from going out, eating some crap and making whoopee afterwards. However, the farmer is happy, cause his crops are getting watered and it'll help produce a nice yield.

Same rain, same day, same outcome. It's the baggage one brings which for some reason some think will make a change. Facts are facts.​

Notarealsignguy

Ummm..... on May 20th, he didn't show up. I called him to find out whadafug ?? Bullsh!t kinda answer came outta his mouth. July 16th he didn't show up. I called him and he gave me another bullsh!t story. September something, he didn't show up and I didn't call him. He called me over a week later and said he wanted to schedule 3 dumpsters. We made the arrangements and again, a NO SHOW. I called him late in the day and no answer, but I got a call from his office at near closing time with another silly excuse. I have not grown to like him or his jobs..... only getting paid when they're finished. He is not gonna have a conversation anything remotely like the one in your story. In fact, no disrespect, but I don't know of many business people who have conversations such as the one you cited. I'm in business, he's in business. The idea is to make jobs, produce money and move on. Not play babysitter to some dipsh!t who can't tell time....... or what day of the week it is at his convenience. This is getting to be like trying to talk to biden. This should really be good tonight.

Thanks Robert, but your scenario really doesn't fit in the real world. Yeah, maybe some guy who made it big can go around writing books about these kinda things, fudge the real storyline and get paid for suckers buying his books.

Thing is, when one makes a decision and it goes well, he's a genius, but if he the same guy makes the same decision and it doesn't go well, he's a dope. Same decision, but 2 different outcomes. Two titles.
It's kinda like something I was taught many many years ago........ stick to the facts, then make your call. don't write a fairytale and expect a different outcome.

For you Robert...... It's raining outside and coming down rather steadily for quite some time. The guy & gal who had a picnic planned are p!ssed off, cause the rain stopped them from going out, eating some crap and making whoopee afterwards. However, the farmer is happy, cause his crops are getting watered and it'll help produce a nice yield.

Same rain, same day, same outcome. It's the baggage one brings which for some reason some think will make a change. Facts are facts.​
Biden might not show up but Trump will and stiff you after you do the work. Guess you pick your poison.

Notarealsignguy

Gino that is a rough call. We all have a few of those & I have mouth off plenty of times how F'd up they are to ruin our schedule but complain that we are not on time. My take would be to get mad enough and just deal with their unprofessional dealings.

It is ALWAYS the no show types that need everything last minute and complain if you are late. After beating this horse to death and recollecting all of the similar situations we have encountered, I side with dumping the customer.

sardocs

This customer is the type you should try to hang on to IF you have NO other jobs at all, and maybe not even then. If he is messing up other scheduled tasks then fire him and feel good about it!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Guess who just left the shop after saying he was sorry and will try to stay better in touch when he can't make it ??

Now, I know it's gonna continue to happen, cause he was showing me a picture on his phone and I said, what's that ?? He said, that's the one you did in July. I said, we didn't do that one. That's an entirely different font and a different layout than we've been using. Oops........... Funny thing is, his old sign guy..... I just removed his sign from the building as he vacated the premises during the night about 3 weeks ago. Another sign-a-rama bites the dust.
sign-a-rama removal.jpg

Yep,. He dropped his can off, wants to drop off another when this one is done and has another coming a wee bit later.​

HulkSmash

gino gino gino

old friend. I haven't read any of the responses, but they're probably all wrong. We have a lot of legacy clients who do the same thing. Mostly with vehicles and fleets. Frustrating. But i look at it like this. They helped you get to where you are today. Express some concern but don't overblow it.

good luck.