• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

NOW HIRING ISSUE

rjssigns

Interns or temp agency. Last place I worked for stopped trying to direct hire. Too many HR headaches. Easier to find a temp and if they worked out offer them a full time gig.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
The whole country feels you! Google it! From what i get the incentive to not work is stronger and too many are scared to death of Covid. We see many "Now Hiring" signs all over the place. Restaurants are having to reduce their hours because they don't have enough staff. We've been advertising the need for a customer service position for over a year. We're plugged in with a job placement company, as well as Indeed. Many places are resorting to hiring bonuses and the like. My wife was just telling me this morning that a particular McDonald's is offering a $50 gift card to anyone who applies. We're unlikely to offer any such incentives but...

Last edited:

Stacey K

I like making signs
There are Now Hiring signs EVERYWHERE by me. It's pretty bad, most people that come in complain they can't find help. Construction crews from 4 to 1. My sisters daycare runs at a little over half capacity because she cant' find workers. I sent over my renter who is on unemployment and she was working for cash. Got her stimulus and never showed up again.

My nephew got hired at a greenhouse. They literally told him if he can stand up and breathe he's hired - it was a quick interview.

There are Now Hiring signs EVERYWHERE by me. It's pretty bad, most people that come in complain they can't find help. Construction crews from 4 to 1. My sisters daycare runs at a little over half capacity because she cant' find workers. I sent over my renter who is on unemployment and she was working for cash. Got her stimulus and never showed up again.

My nephew got hired at a greenhouse. They literally told him if he can stand up and breathe he's hired - it was a quick interview.
it is truly a struggle!

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
You might try hiring people that are currently employed in retail / food service. If you go to a particular store or restaurant and you interact and see the same person time after time, they might be a good candidate to hire. Some good people work at those places and get too comfortable to look for other opportunities. I was hired by a sign company out of Waffle House!

RaymondLoewy

Pretty fly for a Sign Guy
I contacted one of the local community colleges and brought in a design student part time as an intern, it has been working out well enough with them taking interest in the table work that I will be bringing them on for more hours when they graduate and eventually FT. This worked out much better than using Indeed and going over countless resumes of Designers without production background and little interest beyond the pay.

I would also try trade schools.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I contacted one of the local community colleges and brought in a design student part time as an intern, it has been working out well enough with them taking interest in the table work that I will be bringing them on for more hours when they graduate and eventually FT. This worked out much better than using Indeed and going over countless resumes of Designers without production background and little interest beyond the pay.

This is how I entered the sign industry. Went to the head professor of graphic design at my school looking for an internship. He sent my info to a sign shop in town and they ended up hiring me FT.

markdarian

It's been very difficult for us as well.

Here in California, there's an epidemic of people getting hired for a few months and then getting themselves fired to get back on unemployment. So they'll work hard for a few weeks and then start half-assing it until they get fired. Rinse and repeat.

And hiring college grads has been a nightmare as well. Fresh grads with zero experience are demanding obscene starting salaries, full benefits, 30 vacation days, etc.

We've had our best luck hiring kids from community colleges, not universities. They tend to be more grounded, respectful, and hardworking.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
We post on indeed. It's a lot of work trying to find good people. Interview more people than you think you should. Hire for attitude and culture first, then skill. Skills are learned through experience, attitude and a good mesh with your culture are something they either show up with or don't.

myront

CorelDRAW is best

Not for designing though. Most schools teach Adobe and students don't have a clue with anything else and aren't willing to learn any other.

We post on indeed. It's a lot of work trying to find good people. Interview more people than you think you should. Hire for attitude and culture first, then skill. Skills are learned through experience, attitude and a good mesh with your culture are something they either show up with or don't.
Thank you!!!

by the way we use you guys for all of our yard sign needs. You are awesome!

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
We have a ton of people on staff that went to school for graphic design or art. Even though sign making isn't maybe what they set out to do, they often turn out to be a great part of the team. They understand the software and the tech. They also tend to be good communicators. From there, a positive teaching culture can handle the rest.

I have told some of my more experienced people time and time again, if they can't teach what they know to others:
1.) They don't actually understand it.
2.) They aren't all that useful to a growing company.

I have never let someone go for replacing themselves on the shop floor with a process or greenhorn. They are by FAR the most valuable people you could employ.

Stacey K

I like making signs
This is not funny, but it is. A couple hours ago a roofer came in so I could increase the wage on his banner $1 - so he could find more help. He's down to 2 crews from 7. He told me it's so bad that when they give interviews they tell every person they have to take a drug test but you don't have to pass it. They don't care what drugs you do, they just need you to show up.

FireSprint.com I have an associates in graphic design and printing. Never thought I would be making signs either! Much more fun than designing brochures!

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I have an associates in graphic design and printing. Never thought I would be making signs either! Much more fun than designing brochures!

+1 I did graphics for web and print for 20 years. I wanted a change, and I like what I'm doing now WAAAAY more.

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
I second reaching out to trade schools. The signmaking world is more blue collar work. 4 year grads are going to want more pay and less likely to get their hands dirty. I recently reached out to some high school programs just to try to educate teachers on the opportunities in this biz. Also, have your employees or co-workers be on the lookout. They have a vested interest to hire good people, too - it affects them.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
People are making too much right now. Hate to say it but more people than not, only work hard enough to maintain their current lifestyle. When they start making more than they need, it becomes much harder to get them to work. If you have 2 people in a house that are used to living on $15/hr incomes at 35 hours a week then 1 gets a new job making $24/hr and 60 hours a week, whats the point in the other one working anymore? I work hard and can see this in myself just as much as anyone else.

Glad I'm not looking right now. Making more signs than ever before for hiring people for customers that is.

I think the trade schools and local schools are a good idea. It just seems nobody wants to work anymore. Nothing but spoiled people since this whole thing hit. My neighbor's kid flips hamburgers and is always calling off sick and they're too scared to fire him. He makes close to $24 an hour. I couldn't believe it. Sometimes more because the others don't want to work, so they pass their help around and pay them well to do it. A few months ago he was making almost 50 bucks an hour 2 days a week.