• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Oce Colorado 1640 Brittle Media

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Surely the print side in is just a firmware update. I seen that in action and there’s nothing physically different with the drawer (if there is it’s minimal).

Last I checked though they’re still having pretty big problems with registration with the double sided prints too.

Christian @ 2CT Media

We don't do a lot of banners or double-sided printing, our biggest use case would be vinyl graphics and wallpaper.

As for the print side in, they are saying the mechanism was different. Either way it would be intriguing if it was a pay to upgrade feature like so many companies are doing now. I just worry about support, it seems like canon left many of their adopters out to dry.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
We don't do a lot of banners or double-sided printing, our biggest use case would be vinyl graphics and wallpaper.

As for the print side in, they are saying the mechanism was different. Either way it would be intriguing if it was a pay to upgrade feature like so many companies are doing now. I just worry about support, it seems like canon left many of their adopters out to dry.

that would be exactly my biggest worry. A lot of false promises for the 1640 users. They basically promised the world then released the 1650 and have basically said they won’t fix any 1640 issues until they’ve sorted all the 1650 issues.

Even recently, they tried to charge us a fortune for switching out a 1640 for a 1650 because we really need the flexible inks to get rid of our solvent. And now they’re giving the 1640 the flexible inks. (Could have told us that instead of offering a fortune for the 1650). Pretty weird behaviour.

I’m still amazed that they released the 1650. Any problems with their 1640 should have been addressed or offered as an optional upgrade

Luke Handford

So a rep from Canon came in today. I guess they are finally allowing the 1650 inkset to be installed in the 1640s. You don't get Matte or print side in but you will get the flexibility and other benefits.

The price point he gave me is unbelievable and we are now looking hard at this a viable option for our vinyl printing. Trying to set up a onsite test.

Interesting!
I look forward to hearing how you get on with them!

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
You don't need to have a service contract if you reasonably feel you can service it yourself or you can buy it from a reseller who actually has service.

as you’ve put this in the 1640 thread I’m assuming you were getting the price point based on a 1640; is there any reason you’d go for that instead of the 1650? Especially for wallpaper.

unless they’re dropping the price on the physical machines in order to get them out the door. I’d guess they probably ordered 1000 or so and they’ve only sold maybe 850-900. Probably 100 sitting in a warehouse somewhere and they’re trying to push them out before they discontinue the 1640 and only sell the 1650.

Christian @ 2CT Media

as you’ve put this in the 1640 thread I’m assuming you were getting the price point based on a 1640; is there any reason you’d go for that instead of the 1650? Especially for wallpaper.

unless they’re dropping the price on the physical machines in order to get them out the door. I’d guess they probably ordered 1000 or so and they’ve only sold maybe 850-900. Probably 100 sitting in a warehouse somewhere and they’re trying to push them out before they discontinue the 1640 and only sell the 1650.

A lot more 1640s sitting than you'd think.
I don't need this for wallpaper or anything like that, our primary market is exterior vinyl and we would laminate it all. The price point offered to me is significantly (Cheaper than 2 570s) less than the 1650 or the original 1640 price... I won't post it as I don't know if it was a special offer or not.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Do they have anything concrete about putting the 460 inks in the 1640? Our canon rep doesn’t know anything about it lol

jasonx

Does the 1650 use the little sprocket for determining the advance which leaves little puncture marks in yuppo/pp/synthetic stocks etc which was present on the 1640?

thomlov

Does the 1650 use the little sprocket for determining the advance which leaves little puncture marks in yuppo/pp/synthetic stocks etc which was present on the 1640?

Sprocket isnt for determining the advance, it is for the automatic feed. It’s still there, but i havent seen any marks in my media. Unsure if there is a new design or anything.

colorado determines feed by printing and reading marks at the media side edges.

greysquirrel

that's an awful lot of money to commit to a printer that cannot print on sav. I think these things are 60k....I know gen 1 was buggy...good luck to the early adopters for gen2....I know they are offering per click charge/sq'....I certainly would never buy one....I could get 6 s40's for that coin....redundancy is always better than speed.

Christian @ 2CT Media

that's an awful lot of money to commit to a printer that cannot print on sav. I think these things are 60k....I know gen 1 was buggy...good luck to the early adopters for gen2....I know they are offering per click charge/sq'....I certainly would never buy one....I could get 6 s40's for that coin....redundancy is always better than speed.
Not at the price they just offered us... The only caveat is we need to wait till Q1 for the new inks in the 1640.