• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Oce Colorado - Yay or nay

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Hi guys, we’re looking at investing in a new printer - we’ve looked at a few but a Colorado seems likely. Just wondering if anyone here has had any good/bad experiences with it. It’s very quick but also has a very heavy price tag considering it’s only 64”. Around the same as a mimaki ujv55-320! We don’t do many full vehicle wraps so that’s not an issue. I done a bit of reading here but all the threads seem to be a bit dated.

Any insight is appreciated. 1st gen machines are usually a horror show!

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Don't do it! What applications are you buying it for? Its a $60k banner printer.

We mostly do vinyls and commercial signage. A lot of banners but probably not enough to justify buying a 60k banner printer! The print samples we’ve seen are very glossy too. Looks tacky. I just get the impression it’s not worth the money. Lots of similar spec (albeit a bit slower) printers for easily half the price that are twice as versatile.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
We mostly do vinyls and commercial signage. A lot of banners but probably not enough to justify buying a 60k banner printer! The print samples we’ve seen are very glossy too. Looks tacky. I just get the impression it’s not worth the money. Lots of similar spec (albeit a bit slower) printers for easily half the price that are twice as versatile.

Just had a deal happen last week with a client looking at the Colorado, I ended up showing them that 2 560's could out produce this machine for much less money. For the price, you could buy 3 560's!

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Don’t get me wrong it’s an impressive bit of kit, they just have their price point all wrong. 60k is superwide territory. I hear they’re bringing out a 3.2m version early next year. Twice the size but twice the price!

CL Visual

I supposedly have a demo unit being placed in my shop soon. This machine will be used primarily for wall and floor wraps so the stretchability isn't an issue. I did hear that a flexible ink should be out soon and you can convert current ink setups. I will be signing a contract for the machine but can cancel any time up to 90 days. We'll see what happens.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
It looks like an impressive machine. I just still believe they have the price point all wrong, when they started marketing it they priced it in the gap between the 64” printers and the costly 128” superwides. At least 120k. Then mimaki brought out the UJV55-320 and filled that gap right up. Now you’re getting twice as much from mimaki for around the same price. (Depending on how much canon like you).

They’d never win any tenders with this machine because you can quote 2 560’s as bigfish said and give them change for a cutter. You’re paying 3x the price of a generic 64” so you don’t need to spend as much time doing maintenance.

Have they found a way to turn the gloss down yet? The print samples we received looked waaaay too shiny.

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
Post Edited By Signs101 Administrator: Promoting items/services for sale are available only for Premium and Merchant Members usergroups. Please upgrade your membership in order to make such promotional posts.
Hi guys, we’re looking at investing in a new printer - we’ve looked at a few but a Colorado seems likely. Just wondering if anyone here has had any good/bad experiences with it. It’s very quick but also has a very heavy price tag considering it’s only 64”. Around the same as a mimaki ujv55-320! We don’t do many full vehicle wraps so that’s not an issue. I done a bit of reading here but all the threads seem to be a bit dated.

Any insight is appreciated. 1st gen machines are usually a horror show!
You should look into the operating costs of the Colorado before just considering the $68K price tag to bring one in. The ink costs on this machine are only $.09/ft2. Do the math on the ink costs of 2 HP 560's. You'll be saving around $80/roll in ink/heads/maintenance trays which are all required in the latex unit.

Furthermore, the "high resolution" mode on the Colorado is 430sf/hr. At this speed, the machine automatically checks every single print nozzle to make sure it is firing, and if they aren't, they automatically remap so the output is flawless. You load up a roll in and 1.5 hours, come back and it will be done without any head dropping out. You can't do that with latex (or solvent). If you want to go faster on a job which isn't as image-important, then you can go up to 610 or 1210 sf/hr which will officially leave the latex in the dust. At these faster modes, you lose the ability to automatically check the nozzles with each pass...but now it is just like every other printer in the market where you have to keep an eye on the output from time to time to make sure things are going well.

The ink does not scratch. I just doesn't. If your jobs will allow for it, you don't have to laminate it like latex or solvent. There's another $150/roll back in your pocket.

The first versions had ink and firmware issues...those have been resolved. The machine is a beast. Do the homework and get in front of one or come to my facility and watch it go. We are distributors for the Colorado and this machine blows away the 60" latex machines in every application other than true 'wraps'...but it is fine for truck and car sides and pretty much every other application other than light and flimsy fabrics.

If you buy two 560's just keep a calculator around to add up the $80/roll more in ink and operating costs plus the pain-in-the-butt ink cartridges which will have you guessing if there is enough ink in the cartridge to print your last roll after you've left your shop. At the very least go with a 570 with the less expensive bulk ink.

Last edited by a moderator:

animenick65

My company just invested heavily in 6 of these.

There is a hefty price tag but the quality and speed are extremely impressive. Our shop has everything from 3.2m Vuteks, 5m Vuteks, various Epsons and HPs and the 1640 has quickly become our favorite printer.

When rush jobs come in and I need impressive quality with ridiculous speed and I don't have to babysit the thing, then the 1640 is the tool for the job.

It's VERY user friendly. I'm not kidding when I say 20 minutes of training is plenty. It easily prints an entire roll AND takes it up on the take up reel perfectly straight without any complaining. Our laminators appreciate that accuracy as well.

nate

At this speed, the machine automatically checks every single print nozzle to make sure it is firing, and if they aren't, they automatically remap so the output is flawless. You load up a roll in and 1.5 hours, come back and it will be done without any head dropping out. You can't do that with latex (or solvent).

This isn't true for latex.

Snydo

The durability of the gel ink cannot be understated on this machine, basically scratch proof. The quality at the higher speed settings is more than adequate for most jobs and the ink costs are second to none. The more we pondered it the last few months the more of a "no-brainer" it became. I even soaked a small sample piece in gasoline for 30 minutes, along with a solvent print, and a latex print. Understandably the solvent smeared, the latex wiped cleanly off, but the Colorado print was unchanged and still not scratchable.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I stand by the statement, 2 HP's can compete all day against the Colorado BUT with HP's I can print more applications. For the price tag, I can actually buy 3 HP's and smoke anyone with a Colorado.
Service contract is going to be about 10% of the unit price so figure about $5600/year...fast but limited media still...cannot do vehicle graphics and soft signage is very limited.

I am sure it has its place though.

Jim Lattanzio

We have had a Colorado for about 6 months and honestly have had a lot of problems. For one, don't try to print to adhesive vinyl/weed/transfer paper. Most colors the transfer paper will pull the ink right off of the vinyl.

Attachments

• peeling.jpg
    peeling.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 538

KEYSER SOZE

Try again....
Jim are you using the current ink and firmware ?
I'm curious because the first versions from last year certainly did what you've shown, but the tests we did ourselves (Oce let us loose on their Colorado for a few hours) were significantly better.
With the 3M and Avery cast we used the ink can't be de-laminated, even with urethane laminate after 4 weeks.
Did we just get lucky, or is it Cast / Calendared specific do you think ?

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Try again....
Jim are you using the current ink and firmware ?
I'm curious because the first versions from last year certainly did what you've shown, but the tests we did ourselves (Oce let us loose on their Colorado for a few hours) were significantly better.
With the 3M and Avery cast we used the ink can't be de-laminated, even with urethane laminate after 4 weeks.
Did we just get lucky, or is it Cast / Calendared specific do you think ?

Did canon let you use your own materials? They may have let you loose but if they’re determining all the factors they’re going to make sure you’re using absolutely the best media/profiles they can. Whereas a regular John Doe might not be using the same materials.

KEYSER SOZE

Did canon let you use your own materials? They may have let you loose but if they’re determining all the factors they’re going to make sure you’re using absolutely the best media/profiles they can. Whereas a regular John Doe might not be using the same materials.

No, we're up with all the dealer "smoke and mirrors".
We drove it through Onyx with various profiles, took our own media, and used it ourselves.
The ink certainly bites better to cast than calendared, but that's true of every printer process, solvent, latex, or uv.
On calendared we did a lot of cross hatch slicing the ink and trying to lift it on the cut edges with the same vinyl; much stickier than app tape.
We did see a little edge flaking on the calendared vinyl, but nothing like Jim's picture.