• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Odd question about laminates

IMG_20190609_143422996.jpg
IMG_20190609_163037602.jpg
Hi all,

I have a unique situation. My pops has a tritoon boat, the toons have been polished for a number of years. We are trying to find a different way to protect them from tarnishing (they oxidize, even after one day on the lake). We have been using a product, called Sharkhide, unfortunately they were bought out a couple years ago and they changed the formula.

I got an idea that putting laminate over it would protect it. I have tried Oraguard 290-f, but still not satisfied result. I am calling out to see if anyone knows of a lam, or other material, that may be clearer for a better result?

Attached are pictures of the toon, one polished w/ no laminate, the other w/ laminate. It looks better in pictures than in person.

The wrap itself was done with 3m IJ180c w/ 8518 lam. It sat outside, in the Lake Havasu, AZ sun for a couple years before the garage was built, with no visible fading.

Thanks
Dennis

jfiscus

Rap Master
I would bet that spraying them with clear paint would be the best bet for longevity. Like a set of new aluminum rims.

equippaint

I wouldn't put anything on it. You think it looks bad and is a lot of work to polish it up now, wait for the laminate to start getting geeked up or clear coat start peeling off. Polished aluminum is a lot of work, no real easy solution to it.

Thanks for all your responses!

Will a Paint Protection Film(PPF) not work? Something like Xpel.

I had some Oraguard PPF, but it wasn't as clear as the 290-f. I will have to test Xpel.

I would bet that spraying them with clear paint would be the best bet for longevity. Like a set of new aluminum rims.

An automotive clear won't work. With the surface being polished, the most clears would "fisheye" during application.

I didn't know Cerakote had a clear for this type of application, I'll have to check into it. I have only used it for firearms.

The Everbrite seems to be the same thing as Sharkhide.

I wouldn't put anything on it. You think it looks bad and is a lot of work to polish it up now, wait for the laminate to start getting geeked up or clear coat start peeling off. Polished aluminum is a lot of work, no real easy solution to it.

The toons had been stripped of the Sharkhide, then repolished by hand, my Pops is retired (I wouldn't have done it), we are just trying to come up with something. The second picture was wrapped with the laminate. If I can come up with something that is up to my standards, it would be an added source of revenue, as I know a lot of people who would jump on board with polishing their toons.

ikarasu

Use 3m PPF. It's way more expensive than oraguard/xpel.. But it's so clear you cant tell it's on for the most part. Great warranty also - we just started getting into ppf... So I can't vouch for long term looks, but 3M claims to have the best, clearest, non yellowing ppf out there. It goes on clear and we haven't had any complaints about it yet.

It looks much nicer than oraguard, I've heard great things about xpel but we've never tried it.

equippaint

it would be an added source of revenue, as I know a lot of people who would jump on board with polishing their toons.
So would every truck driver on earth. If there was a solution, every chrome shop would already be all over it. People with mirror finish alum and stainless, like truckers, take pride in it...... cuz its a lot of work. There is no easy button here, sorry for the bad news.
Closest thing to it is alcoas durabrite wheels and they stain and flake. Clean it with acetone, spray a 2:1 clear, strip it when it flakes and do it again or just let it oxidize like everyone else does.

Use 3m PPF. It's way more expensive than oraguard/xpel.. But it's so clear you cant tell it's on for the most part. Great warranty also - we just started getting into ppf... So I can't vouch for long term looks, but 3M claims to have the best, clearest, non yellowing ppf out there. It goes on clear and we haven't had any complaints about it yet.

It looks much nicer than oraguard, I've heard great things about xpel but we've never tried it.
I will look into getting a sample.

So would every truck driver on earth. If there was a solution, every chrome shop would already be all over it. People with mirror finish alum and stainless, like truckers, take pride in it...... cuz its a lot of work. There is no easy button here, sorry for the bad news.
Closest thing to it is alcoas durabrite wheels and they stain and flake. Clean it with acetone, spray a 2:1 clear, strip it when it flakes and do it again or just let it oxidize like everyone else does.

All that you mentioned are different grade (much harder) aluminum then pontoons are made of, therefore do not oxidize as quickly. Originally, the toons were polish by a guy the specializes in polishing rig tanks. I have been around the trucking industry most of my life, as that is what my pops did. Trucks, these days, can be ordered with stainless tanks. It take a lot to stain/mar/oxidize a good quality stainless. A good quality chrome job, also would not have issues, until further alone in it's lifespan, as the layers underneath start to delam ( for lack of a better term). As far as nothing being available to protect polished aluminum, that is incorrect. There are many hydrophobic/ nano coatings out that would do the job. Unfortunately, for this application, those coating would be not be cost effective.

equippaint

All that you mentioned are different grade (much harder) aluminum then pontoons are made of, therefore do not oxidize as quickly. Originally, the toons were polish by a guy the specializes in polishing rig tanks. I have been around the trucking industry most of my life, as that is what my pops did. Trucks, these days, can be ordered with stainless tanks. It take a lot to stain/mar/oxidize a good quality stainless. A good quality chrome job, also would not have issues, until further alone in it's lifespan, as the layers underneath start to delam ( for lack of a better term). As far as nothing being available to protect polished aluminum, that is incorrect. There are many hydrophobic/ nano coatings out that would do the job. Unfortunately, for this application, those coating would be not be cost effective.
In trucking, you would never have the same credibility with stainless tanks, ive never seen them either but either way, theyd look dumb and not the same. The real appreciation of those youre trying to impress is in the work/upkeep. If you ordered one with all of the shiny parts coated, youd better turn it over every few years cuz it wont hold up. Most chrome is crap too, its skimpy chinese plate that doesnt hold up.