• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

off gassing large wraps!

WB

How do you guys out gas your large prjects?

If I'm doing a car I have enough table space that I'll lay everything out before I go home at night, I'll do this for a couple days then laminate. I'm doing a 50' charter bus and I have about 28 panels 48" x 9' it's 1 1/2 rolls of vinyl..
All of done is unroll the rolls and cut it into seperate panels laying on top of each other. I was thining of maybe moving them around everything few hours?

I have 3 more busses to do my the end of march, I need to figure out some system.

dlndesign

We did a trailer wrap about 2 weeks ago, we just printed, let them sit overnight, found a good place to store them, and cycled in new prints as they came out, overnight drying for sure. Just be careful about dust if you havent' laminated them yet. Hope that helps.

SecondCityPrint

Off Gassing technique

We've come up with a pretty simple way to off gas long rolls without laying them out and taking up valueble table space. Using two stacked milk crates we put a small fan in the bottom one and put the roll upright fanning it out as much as the width of the milk crate will allow so that all layers have a gap for air to pass through. Turn the fan on and voila, your off gassing a full roll in 2 square feet of space.

tanneji

We roll ours up and set them on end so they sit vertically and let sit overnight. Been working great! (basically the non-fan version of above)

SSG_SIGNS

We roll ours up as well & let sit over night but we also have a small low heat heater that i set on the floor in front of the print as it comes to the spooler and it gets a bit more extra heat & air flow and gets good and cured faster.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
This is one of the best benifits to the HP Latex machine, no out gassing is needed ever so you can go install instantly.

gamerxr72

Our method is very similar to SecondCityPrint's.

We take a $10 box fan from wal-mart and mount wooden stands on it so that it faces downward and stays about 4 inches off the floor. Then we loosely unwind a roll of material so that air can be pulled through it and leave it standing on the fan. We've done entire 50' rolls with this method. We leave them to out-gas in the corner so they aren't in the way.

Flame

Easy. I don't let em outgass. lol. I've done a few wraps, even one on a 40' motorhome with a 30' trailer. Laminated IMMEDIATELY and it's on it's 2nd year on the road without a hiccup.

Valuejet eco-sol. :rock-n-roll:

ProWraps

love ya flame, but i want to make sure that this advice is not considered by anyone to be good advice.

we use modified home depot buckets that we put our rolls in. MINIMUM of 24 hours outgassing. typically 48 or more though.

i would not recommend laying prints out to outgas. they are very voulnerable to damage and particulate mater that will be a nightmare to get all off before laming.

Flame

love ya flame, but i want to make sure that this advice is not considered by anyone to be good advice.

we use modified home depot buckets that we put our rolls in. MINIMUM of 24 hours outgassing. typically 48 or more though.

i would not recommend laying prints out to outgas. they are very voulnerable to damage and particulate mater that will be a nightmare to get all off before laming.

Prove me wrong and I'll eat my words. Over 500 rolls through my equipment, usually always laminate right away, and never once in 5 years have I received a complaint of material failing due to outgassing.

Solvent...eh, probably different story.

Don't get me wrong though, if you want to set up big "outgas" tables, be my guest. lol. I like having extra space! :rock-n-roll::rock-n-roll::rock-n-roll::peace!:

I always gotta throw my $0.02 in. :toasting:

ProWraps

no tables here. buckets. without going into why 3m says blah blah blah. the easiest answer for your as a reason for outgassing is the difference in the material pliability when installing. major difference, and makes for a much easier install when properly outgassed.

and yeah, those above are the buckets we use (the link to the thread i made).

Mader Design

Flame, what about Convex? I'm letting mine outgas at least 8-12 hours before laminating with Pro Shield or Convex Laminate.

Are you letting these outgas or just straight to laminate?

saktrnch

I have to agree with Flame. Things come off of the printer onto the take up reel, and from there straight to the laminator.

If I am printing on photo paper, then I let those dry for at least 24 hours and 48 is better. But vinyl goes straight to the laminator.

Prove me wrong and I'll eat my words. Over 500 rolls through my equipment, usually always laminate right away, and never once in 5 years have I received a complaint of material failing due to outgassing.

Solvent...eh, probably different story.

Don't get me wrong though, if you want to set up big "outgas" tables, be my guest. lol. I like having extra space! :rock-n-roll::rock-n-roll::rock-n-roll::peace!:

I always gotta throw my $0.02 in. :toasting:

We let them hang while they are on the take up roll them lam. I with you. sometimes we have to print as we wrap

WB

Thanks Guys.. I moved them around last night before I left when I came in today they already seem alot better.. the smell is almost gone.. I don't mind laying prints out at night because whenI limainate everything gets wiped with a staic free glove.

Prowraps after looking at your bucket idea I have to say that IMO thats kinda pointless. your 3" core is on the middle of the Tube which is just going to allow air to flow up the tube not in between the prints. Also the bucket has a lip around the bottom which would block any air flow going to the center and up your 3" core! I think you would have been better off drilling serveral 1/2" holes in the bottom and cutting 1/2 of the lip off. Just some thoughts..

Flame I've gone from the printer to the laminator inthe past, I've never had an issue yet but If I have time I'd rather to what everyone says is the rigth thing and let them off gas. The idea behind it seems to make sense, I'd rather take the tiem if I have and ensure that I'm not redoing something down the road. With everyone and thier dog doing wraps now a days the profit margine is low and redo are not an option.

grafixemporium

We don't typically laminate immediately after printing unless it's an emergency. However, we don't let our prints sit for 24 hours anymore either. I'd say on average, they sit for 4 to 8 hours before lam. Some sit for less, some sit for more. We've never had a single issue relating to outgassing (knocking on wood as I type this). We have some stuff that's been on cars now for 2 years.

We're running the versacamm with roland ecosol inks.