• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

oh boy 4 months of emails POOF gone!!!

gabagoo

Today is a strange day. First off I am in the process of having my domain transfered into my name from a friend who set it up 2 years ago. I filled out some stuff this morning on line and sent it off and then I start receiving a few calls from customers that their e-mails are bouncing back to them from my address. OK I can accept that some work is being doen by the admins of the domain and the provider (not sure if that is the correct term). In any case I was sending a quote out and I usually blind cc myself and then file it. This morning when I cc myself it cant find 2 of the e-mail addresses associated with my domain yet my receptionists is still available. I mean they are not even in my outlook. I didn't really think that things could change in my own software without me doing it. Now even worse as the day goes on I decided to reboot my computer and now in my email there is nothing in my inbox after july 2009!!!! WTF how are they doing this? I am pretty upset and I hope I can get them back. Anyone know what is causing this? Help

iSign

if you download emails onto your own computer, then "they" can't be doing this, unless they are at your shop, or you have granted "them" remote access to your computer.

gabagoo

Have you called your provider?......and you dont do email archiving?

gads never heard of email archiving, I just figured if I have not deleted them they would always be there for me. Never experienced anything like this. How is this happening? The provider won't talk to you they are strictly email so I sent an inquiry off but being Friday at 3:30 I doubt I will hear anything

MachServTech

web based email hosted by your provider sucks like that. the good news is they should have a backup, but POP email is the way to go, that way you have a copy on your computer as well as on the server.

There are very inexpensive email archiving utilities out there that will help you take care of this and some will interface with your web based email and download them or send a copy to another email automatically.

Techman

If you down loaded them.. they are on your machine..

If you downed them and set outlook to delete them after download.. "they" are gone forever.
Use Thunderbird...

Replicator

I use Windows Live Mail Desktop and I make backups on a regular basis . . .

I cannot stand online email for the very reason you have fallen victim too.

Sorry, I feel your pain . . . It's happened too me before.

gabagoo

I really dont understand how this happened. I am not new to this. It seems to coincidental that I am having the site technically moved and this happens. I am on a pop 3 server and I assumed they are in my machine until I decide to delete them. So even if somehow I accidently deleted probably over 100 or so emails with attachments, theres no way it would have been done unoticed and then would it not be feasable to assume they would be in the deleted folder? but they are not. I am having an anxiety attack trying to think of everything I needed in those emails. Someone please wake me up!!!!

gabagoo

even stranger, all the emails in my deleted box are current and up to date, nothing missing

signage

Gabagoo the other day you posted about outlook, you are using outlook correct?

If so you need to see how you have it set up, like was said earlier if you are downloading the email onto your machine then it may still bet there.

gabagoo

Gabagoo the other day you posted about outlook, you are using outlook correct?

If so you need to see how you have it set up, like was said earlier if you are downloading the email onto your machine then it may still bet there.

dude I have been using outlook for over 15 years. Never had a problem like this happen.

mark in tx

I hope I understand what you said so far, but I might have some bad news for you.

If you had not been set up to download the emails to your hard drive, then they were in actuality stored on the email server.

Then when you switched domain servers, the new server for your email does not have all your old emails.

gabagoo

I hope I understand what you said so far, but I might have some bad news for you.

If you had not been set up to download the emails to your hard drive, then they were in actuality stored on the email server.

Then when you switched domain servers, the new server for your email does not have all your old emails.

OK that would make sense except that I have emails that are from my domain adresss and I also have an email address that is associated with my ISP provider (that I used before the domain emails were set up) so I have 3 emails and all of them have gone poof. I called the provider and knew it was not there problem but asked them if they could figure it out. First thing she said was virus and yes thats possible but how coincidental that the day we move ownership of the site (and I now guess the actual company that hosts it based on this fiasco) that a virus attacks. To strange.

mark in tx

I'm really thinking it is an issue tied in with the domain switch.
Too convenient for someone at a help desk to just say "virus", especially on a Friday.

royster13

I run all my mail through Gmail and still use my own royce@myowndomain.ca I then run Thunderbird on my desktop and it downloads all the mail from Gmail but leaves it all on the server....So I basically have 2 copies of all my emails.....I also backup to Carbonite for another safety net....

gabagoo

yea it has somethign to do with the switch and they say it will repopulate itself which is fine. I just cant beleive that it could take away all those emails in an instant. Does anyone know the setting in outlook express that allows me to hold the emails in my comp and not be be able to be sucked away like that?

signage

Gabagoo I no longer use Outlook but if you go into the help and search for download messages you will find the info! I would suggest that if you view your mail form more than one machine to make sure you do not delete/remove the message from you email ISP's server.