• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

"Oh Buddy, you are WAAAY off!"

threeputt

Well he would have crapped his pants when he walked into my shop and I charged him $45.00. Minimum order. Won't turn my stuff on for anything less.

Thanks,
Kurt

Here's the thing. Our plotter is constantly running vinyl. No big thing to slip a file (boat registration numbers) into it. Run out some scrap.

But to b*tch about the money. I almost walked him, 'cept I had the money in hand. Go buy pre-packaged vinyl letters buddy. See how long they last. Oh...did I tell you that you'll also pay for x's and z's that you won't be needing. Not to mention that our RTA is pre-spaced and pre-aligned with application tape.

Sheesh!

k6media

:beer I think this is the appropriate icon for the night =) ... At the end of the day there will always be this type of client running around the city. Looking for something for nothing, and eventually finding someone who will do it. If you shop around you will always find a better price, or someone willing to work for very little.

Moral of the story is.. stick with your pricing structure that you are comfortable with to grow your business and earn a living you are satisfied with. When guys like this walk through the door.. you politely let them go, and that's that.

You aren't the Giant Tiger of the sign business.. and if that's what he's looking for.. he can have it.

Does it mean an inferior product when it comes to simple vinyl graphics? Probably not... would it mean an inferior product if it came to a wrap, absolutely...

jasonx

I was speaking to my brother yesterday and the biggest lesson I've learnt in business is the power to say no.

No we don't do that work.
No we aren't dropping our price.
No I can't stay at work till mid night to complete your job.
No design isn't done for free.

It's amazing how it changes your mind set and your business. You start to attract the right kind of customers.

ProWraps

its called firing your clients. and in the business world, if understood and done properly will make you more money than "hiring" them.

wrapman jamz

Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Every once and a while I get to tell someone to take a flyin' leap! Do it! it really feels good! And a sick little laugh as they walk away is an especially effective way to insure that this cheap piece of crap tells everyone he knows that you must be crazy....surely all of his "friends" are dirtbags too.

I think those dump truck guys get massive amounts of cash for the hundreds of loads they run daily. dirtbags

strypguy

I told myself this year I was going to get paid for what I was doing. No more selling myself and my business short by being too nice of a guy. I made sure everything that went out the door was making me good money or I was going to stay home and watch my 46" Sony Bravia HD tv..lol.
Well, in this economy, i've had the best years so far in my companies 15 years in business.
When somebody looks at me funny about price I simply explain everything in detail about the estimate. The more they are educated about why something costs what it does the more accepting they seem to be.
Your always going to get that scumbag that wants something for nothing. I enjoy sending him off the annoy the competition.
I always hope my professionalism, attention to detail, and reputation will speak for itself.
I'm lucky to have many loyal customers over the years and the occasional bump in the road is quickly forgotten.
John

JR's

[No we don't do that work.
No we aren't dropping our price.
No I can't stay at work till mid night to complete your job.
No design isn't done for free.

It's amazing how it changes your mind set and your business. You start to attract the right kind of customers. ]

AMEN
JR

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
I am mad at all the knuckle-heads out there that are satisfied to make fast food wages at the sign business.

WHY?:frustrated::banghead:

Some in this trade take the low road because they know they aren't very good at what they do and lack confidence in their business.
They usually don't think more than 30 days ahead. A quick sale is beer money and wings...

Others in the trade have a computer, bought a plotter and software and believe they are graphic designers now.
Unfortunately many never worked or learned the trade in a proficient shop and really don't know how to price vehicle graphics or signs especially when the perceived value of the product comes into play.

Steve Werner

I'm in the middle of a big project right now for a national shoe company. In order to get this contract the company asked me to lower my material price to them. They promised to give me the next three releases of their roll out if I gave them the pricing they needed. I went in very thin on the margins, thinner than I would normally go on a custom produced material like this. Well, let's just say that things aren't going as I had planned and that extra money I normally put in on a custom material like this as a buffer is not there. It went from a marginally profitable job that would have given my material national exposure to a exercise minimizing my losses. This national company does not care that I'm losing money. My point is, if you cannot make a margin that makes good business sense then don't do it.

thesignexpert

its called firing your clients. and in the business world, if understood and done properly will make you more money than "hiring" them.

Well put and right on ProWraps.

By weeding out the "marginal" to flat out unprofitable clients we all have much more time to focus on those clients who are enjoyable to work with. I have no trouble sending these guys to another shop who might be set up to make this a profitable job. Order minimums, whatever they are for your shop, are an absolute must if you want to remain profitable and find your perfect customers. Just my .02

Mikeifg

Some in this trade take the low road because they know they aren't very good at what they do and lack confidence in their business.
They usually don't think more than 30 days ahead. A quick sale is beer money and wings...

Others in the trade have a computer, bought a plotter and software and believe they are graphic designers now.
Unfortunately many never worked or learned the trade in a proficient shop and really don't know how to price vehicle graphics or signs especially when the perceived value of the product comes into play.
Tatally agree well put.:U Rock::U Rock::U Rock::U Rock:

Master's Touch

I'll say this: I have been in business since 94, and work less than I ever have. I have a 9-5, 4 day week, and I usually come in late at that. My average sale is up better than 300% over where it was 3 years ago, and in that regard I am pretty happy. I can't sell signs I'd consider "ART", but I can afford my big house and my family wants for nothing, for the most part, so I am fine, regardless.

What gets me is this: the guy 10 miles down the road? He is a HACK. I mean suck-AGE. Here's the ironic thing: he gauges his prices on mine. The public at large? CLUELESS in general. It is annoying, but at the same time, most of the time he gets the idiots, and I get the good ones. Still my point is that this guy would get NO WHERE NEAR what he gets for the crap (Horrible kerning, Almost ALWAYS Clarendon, 4-5 fonts on a sign, no edges, script slanted on an arc, pretty much all the cliche'd mistakes...) he produces if it weren't for my rates.

If THAT guy can do it...why not the rest of the hacks? Don't they realize, CAN'T they realize that it would only raise the bar for everyone?

TheSnowman

If I'm gonna work for free, I'm gonna instead spend that "work time" doing what I wanna do instead of what the "customer" wants me to do. And to the guy that thinks selling a banner for $2.00/sq ft is a good idea...why would you do that for $2, when you could get 2.5 TIMES that much, and EVERY customer thinking they got a good deal. If that's ALL YOU did, you just majory made a ton more money, and didn't kill the rest of us to do it...and you got paid what it's worth.

binki

We are in a small downtown area. Across the street directly from us is a print/copy shop and an art gallery. Both do banners as well as us. We also do biz cards.

Our price for business cards is $85/1000 and the print/copy place is $14.95. Tonight while we are working away his is moving out. He hasn't been open for more than 4 hours over the last 3 weeks. The best part is everyone who paid him in advance and never rec'd their orders is coming to us.