• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

"Oh Buddy, you are WAAAY off!"

heyskull

Mmmm I get at least 4-5 customers a week like this......LOL
I normally show them how our door operates!!!

As a reply to Steve Werner

I would steer clear of big companies as they think they hold all the cards.
I've done this sort of thing before and had businesses promise me all there work if I cut my profit.
I would ask for this promise in writing (this normally scares them away)
If I get a chance of a big job I will not lower my prices I add in a 30% F*** Up Charge as normally there will be one.

I have a friend who works in the electronics industry who designs circuits.
Two years ago she landed a major contract for a circuit board as she was the cheapest.
Turns out she hadn't added a major item of the circuit into the price (Big Problem).
The company tried to sue her and to this day she is still in a lawsuit over this.
This is all about large companies trying to make it cheaper and the little people getting hurt over a mistake.

SC

Dave Drane

Vinyl cutters keep "spitting out signs" as they say, but when they stop working ....Who is going to help you get them up and working again??????? The cheapskate customer will be long gone!

BobM

Buyers are liars. If you said $45 he would have said the other guy was only at $25. Let the lowballing, scum sucking, bargin hunter maggots go to the other guy where they will say you only wanted $20.

signage

All of this reminds me of a saying an old timer told me! He went to a supplier to buy a newer item this supplier quoted him a low price but didn't have the item! So he went to the next supplier that was higher priced but had the item! When he asked why they wanted more the sales person said if I didn't have it I could give you any price, but you want it and I have it so that is the price to have it now!

So when someone tells me someone was cheaper I always say then why didn't you buy it, most times I get the deer in the headlight look!

mark in tx

If you don't want to deal with cheap customers, then don't.
Develop a sales script, and stick to it.
Your script should guide them into a purchase or out the door.

Many of us do this automatically after some time, but it always helps to stop and think hard about your last 10 sales, and your last 10 no-sales.
Identify the factors that led to the sales, improve upon them.
Identify the factors in the no-sales, and either improve them into sales, or improve your ability to spend the least amount of time with a no-sale.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Good advice Mark.

We simply do not compete on price. And we aren't shy about telling you that if you come in and want $2 coro signs ("But I can get them online for that!!!") With that mindset I have told several people that came in the shop telling us they could get it for XXX dollars below my quote that they were getting a really good deal so go for it... but in reality they would probably get what they paid for...

TheSnowman

Brian that reminds me of the time a guy came in here wanting magnets and I told him they were $90, then he said, "I can go out on (fill in whatever road you want) and get them for $50." I said, really...what's the name of it? He told me, and I said, "That's amazing, because that's us, and we just moved and changed our name, and we've had the same pricing on these for 10 years." He knew he was full of crap, and walked out the door. And imagine this...a seal coat guy...amazing huh?

signage

I agree with all that these customers are a waste of time and usually full of crap! I also do not compete on price, either pay my price or go elsewhere!

binki

I don't know how things are across the country but here in SoCal we are really sucking air and a lot of established companies in this biz (loose term here) are closing up. Our suppliers are calling us almost begging for orders.

Our answer to this is more marketing and less(NO) price cutting. Econ 101, as the supply goes down, the price goes up.

messmedia

In my opinion, people ARE always gonna try to get better deals. You all do, correct? Always trying to get the best for what U can pay, and always searching for lowering Your costs.

Now, people come to You wanting something done. If they do not have experience with the matter, U must educate them a little of what can U do for them. When U tell Your price, they DO NOT KNOW if that is expensive or not, they only know how much money they are willing to give.

Some will try those unfair ways to cut a deal, some will do it out of habit of bargaining, and some will simply DECIDE does it pays out to them to give more money.
So, good salesmen will find a way to sell - and make people understand that if they really need it, that is the price to pay.

Usually, people care more about money they will give than quality, service, etc. And if they do give money, they expect more to get.
There is nothing else to do here then to set conditions and pricing and stick to it.

It is only how much You value Yourself, other people will value You.

But, If U value Yourself highly, be sure U provide high-end service and products. Or, as high as U promised!

Good things are never cheap. Except if manufactured in China with accent on quality, and U are first-hand! :{)

U R RLY ANYNG ME W/T TXT SPK.

Gary

Because he used "U" for 'you'? STFU 4real. talk about making a big deal out of nothing if the entire post would have been written as it would be on a text message...ok but come on. are you upset because of wtf and rta as well?

another candidate for the db clothing line

FROM NOW ON NOONE use any abbrev....excuse me ... ABBREVIATIONS because it annoys "Gary". Please spell out What The F#ck, Ready To Apply, Cut Weed Tape, Rolling On Floor Laughing My A$$ Off, Pain In The A$$, Cover YOur A$$, Due Diligence, Doing Business As, United States of America, and any other word, common phrase, and especially commonly recognized internet shorthand that you are tempted to abbreviate and especially U...I mean You.

AISI, GMAFB IMFO URAPITA UNTCO & CUWTA

TAFN Dan

MITCHATEXOTIC

Your time is priceless (or no price)

I recently had a customer ask me to remove my watermark from my proof so they can e-mail it to a "friend", I did not know e-mail didn't work with watermarks (ha ha).

cajun312

Last week a friend of mine who just recently became president of a local organization came by to price 50 double sided full color yard signs. My quote was $6 each and $1 for the wire stakes. The other shop in town bid $4 each including stakes and told my buddy if anyone else was cheaper they would match the price. He doesn't really want to use them but has to take the cheapest bid so I made him a new dummy quote for $2 a sign including stakes, he will try and make them match it. I may have lost the job but they will lose the war at those prices. :bushmill:

Mark

Bradster941

The other shop in town bid $4 each including stakes and told my buddy if anyone else was cheaper they would match the price.

He doesn't really want to use them but has to take the cheapest bid so I made him a new dummy quote for $2 a sign including stakes, he will try and make them match it.
Mark

Now that is Funny :thumb::thumb::thumb:

DO Grafx

well over "there" must not be as good or cheap as he professes. otherwise he wouldnt be over "here". never underestimate the power of a client to be full of sh*t.
I Agree 100%! That happens to us too. We just tell them that if "they" will do it cheaper, then why did you come to me? We only do quality work and for that my friend you need to pay for.

Master's Touch

actually I think the 6 dollar figure is kinda funny in a sad way. No offense to you Cajun, it's not directly your fault, but isn't it a sorry state of affairs? I mean ya do what ya love, is it too much to ask to be PAID for it?

Charge what your worth and quit apologizing for it. It's a helluva lot better than the one armed paperhanger dance of price matchin'