• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Oh Canada!

Bigdee

:Canada 2:

Hi everyone! I guess it's about time I introduced myself. My name is Derek and I've been creeping this site for some time now. It was just recently that I decided to create an account.

I'm a vehicle wrap installer for a body shop planning to take the leap on my own very soon. Have been taking night school in college to learn illustrator and intend to get into the design aspect as well. I know that design and print will have a huge learning curve and I welcome it!

Basically, vehicle wrapping kind of fell into my lap. The shop asked me if I would want to take it on since they occasionally have customers who request vinyl paint conversions instead of actual paint. Needless to say, I took on the responsibility and have loved it ever since. That is why I'm taking the next step and going off on my own which the shop is fully aware off. :rock-n-roll:

I do expect alot of flak from everyone for jumping in head first but I do honestly learn very quickly and do tons of research.

I'll leave it at that for now before I bore you all to death....let 'er rip!!! :thumb:

Scott Reynolds

Ive seen the "Christmas in Canada" episode from South Park ... Canada is scary! Square tires on the cars and whatnot...

Anyway, Welcome from the land of round wheels!! :rock-n-roll:

anotherdog

Welcome from the frozen north!

Sounds like you are doing things right.
Do you have customers/market?
Will your old shop continue to use your services?
Will you need to aquire fixed overhead like machinery/printers and premises or will you just install at other locations?

Basically have you created a plan? Every employee knows how to do it, the much harder parts are how to turn it into a business and find the market.

Bigdee

Welcome from the frozen north!

Sounds like you are doing things right.
Do you have customers/market?
Will your old shop continue to use your services?
Will you need to aquire fixed overhead like machinery/printers and premises or will you just install at other locations?

Basically have you created a plan? Every employee knows how to do it, the much harder parts are how to turn it into a business and find the market.

anotherdog, thanks for the welcome from another fellow Ontario native.

To answer your questions...

I do have some customers as well as the continued support of the body shop. Although, I cannot guaranty that my connections are 100% but I do feel confident I have enough business or potential business to get the ball rolling. I am currently contemplating the purchase of a used HP designjet L25500 my local supplier is selling. As much as I would love to purchase all my equipment upfront my gut has been telling me to work with someone with wide format capabilities first. I do have the budget to purchase my machinery but will leave me with a smaller safety net if you know what I mean.

I have a question to all business owners. Did you start your business only once you have developed a decent amount of clientele? If so, how did you build that clientele without an actual brick and mortar location?

I've been letting everyone I know that I work out of a body shop but it's getting tiring explaining my situation. Another main reason is, the environment. Not exactly suitable for installations with all the dust in the air from the sanding and whatnot. Not to mention, if I did purchase machinery, how quickly it could fail.

I'm currently working on the business plan even though it will only be used for my personal reference. You're right, running a successful business is a different animal. As I implied earlier, I do my homework and try to do my research where ever I can.