• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

OK just finished my first box trailer

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Give me a break. The design was obviously meant to look cartoony. That doesn't mean its a bad design. The pig cow and chicken look phenomenal! Whoever designed that is very talented. Were they purchased stock vectors? The three guys don't have the same amount of detail/shading/depth as the animals, but still look great. I imagine this was a different designer than the one who did the animals.

Don't listen to this dude. Just because it says phd under his name doesn't mean he knows **** about design. I just means he wastes a lot of time posting nonsense on this website.

Try to follow along, as strenuous for you as that might be. It's not a bad design because it's composed of cartoons, it's a bad design because it's a bad design. If this notion proves difficult for you to comprehend, consider engaging the services of a slow-normal elementary school child to explain to you the more demanding passages.

To further explain: The back, one would assume, is stock art from somewhere. One would assume this because of the primitive style of the sides. If whatever creature did this was capable of the commercial level of work on the back, it would be just natural to assume that it would also impart the same level of artwork on the sides. Unfortunately the sides look as if they were copied from decorations on one of the aforementioned school child's binders. Those hideous flames that are supposed to be coming from the back of what appears to be a vehicle from flatland alone are sufficient reason to condemn it. Ghastly.

Moreover, from what can be seen of the typography it too is dubious.

Bad design I said and bad design I meant. Actually the overall layout isn't all that bad, other than being totally discordant, but the execution more that makes up for that in its delicious miserableness. Amateur night at the old barbeque pit.

formanek

I would be afraid that it would over stretch the vinyl. Just watched a video pointing out that you shouldn't stretch the vinyl more than 30%. I was using oracal 3551RA which is speced for slight curves and rivets.

You asked for advice. I have done over 60 of them some of them over 5 years ago and no failures or issues. Start at the top and pull all your backing off. Rub onto each rib top and then rolle pro into each gap. Makes alignment easy and does NOT distort at all. I use Avery MPI 1005 EZ RS.

Attachments

• rdw.jpg
    rdw.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 94
  • rdw2.jpg
    rdw2.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 100
  • rdw3.jpg
    rdw3.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 96

chartle

You asked for advice. I have done over 60 of them some of them over 5 years ago and no failures or issues. Start at the top and pull all your backing off. Rub onto each rib top and then rolle pro into each gap. Makes alignment easy and does NOT distort at all. I use Avery MPI 1005 EZ RS.

Since posting that I have been rethinking this and now see how it would work perfectly. Actually the wider the gap the less the material is stretching. Probably would have taken a third of the time. :banghead:

Question, ok you span the ribs and when you roll into the gap I would assume you you would start in the middle and work towards each rib? that way the stretch is evened out? Or do you just go top to bottom.

Now I want to redo it but the trailer and smoker are probably in Atlanta since thats closer to where they will be needing it over the summer.

PS The trailer was a big hit at the BBQ.

The smoker made the local news. http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/story/25532647/coolest-bbq-fest-smokers#axzz32N5eixlZ

formanek

Since posting that I have been rethinking this and now see how it would work perfectly. Actually the wider the gap the less the material is stretching. Probably would have taken a third of the time. :banghead:

Question, ok you span the ribs and when you roll into the gap I would assume you you would start in the middle and work towards each rib? that way the stretch is evened out? Or do you just go top to bottom.

Now I want to redo it but the trailer and smoker are probably in Atlanta since thats closer to where they will be needing it over the summer.

PS The trailer was a big hit at the BBQ.

The smoker made the local news. http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/story/25532647/coolest-bbq-fest-smokers#axzz32N5eixlZ

Start at the top of the trailer and hinge the material like normal. I then peel off the entire backing and just rub the material onto the HIGH side of each rib. Then use a rolle pro to feed it into each gap with heat.

One thing You could do is on a large table set up your prints together and weld them together using masking tape and slightly pulling the backing paper so the adhesive is on the print. You essentially create 1 large panel doing this and its really not too hard to figure out once you do it once or twice.

I learned this from a spanish installer out of jax who came in and installed a 28 ft trailer in about 7 hours by him self. He even said that was slow because he was just coming back from the winter so he hasn't been doing many wraps.

I'll dig up a photograph of this method being done soon.

chartle

One thing You could do is on a large table set up your prints together and weld them together using masking tape and slightly pulling the backing paper so the adhesive is on the print. You essentially create 1 large panel doing this and its really not too hard to figure out once you do it once or twice.

I learned this from a spanish installer out of jax who came in and installed a 28 ft trailer in about 7 hours by him self. He even said that was slow because he was just coming back from the winter so he hasn't been doing many wraps.

I'll dig up a photograph of this method being done soon.

I would have needed a pretty big table for a 40 foot wide print. :omg:

itljcloud

I was gonna say Geek Wraps does it that way.

They sell a vinyl 'slitter and go ahead before install, and attach panels together if they are doing a large van that's taller than a 54" machine, or whatever. They do it on the table and then install whole piece.

Their tools are way too expensive, and the slitters don't last very long. Maybe 10 good cuts and you can't replace the blade, then it's garbage time for a ten dollar toothbrush looking tool. And Personally I think 16 bucks for a squeegee is ridiculous, especially when I was lettering a boat in the water and one went in the drink the other day. ( They don't float by the way, you would think a plastic/teflon would float)