• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

OK - then NOT OK

Marie

Lately, the prints on my JV3 start out very smooth (no banding). Then about 2 or 3 feet into the print, it starts banding. These are mainly photoshop files with gradients and/or photos. Any thoughts?? - Thanks!

iSign

are you printing bi-directional?

usually when it's a feed calibration issue (media comp in Mimaki terms) it would show banding right from the get-go, but I had a similar issue 2 months ago, and will still be working further to resolve it, but there is another calibration for bi-directional printing, and there a test print that my tech support guy had me run to check for it, which prints a row of colored boxes next to a small print file that you run it with. I forget what it's called, but it clearly showed my printed areas laid down by the left-to-right travel did not align with the sections of the print laid down by right-to-left travel.

The short term fix was to run in uni-directional, and push my number of passes from 8 to 12. It obviously prints a lot slower, but we immediately had much better prints.

The rest of the solution involves some more complicated calibration correction that I could be trained over the phone to do, but some test prints are being evaluated for evidence of a possible need for a print head replacement. I've not had a tech out here in 2-1/2 years, and if it's time for getting one back out here, I'll just let them do the calibration adjustment.

Anyway, try what I did, it might help. Maybe someone here will know what that test we did was called. We print with Flexi, and I think we called up the test from there, not from the printer control panel.

Marie

Thanks for you input.

I'm running uni-directional, 6 pass. It seems like if the print is calibrated properly at the beginning of the print it would hold throughout the entire print.

Here's my new theory: Could it have to do with the take up reel - maybe once the print is taped to the core, the material is being pulled too fast? But then how do I compensate for that?

michaelmcmurphy

if you calibrate registration without the material taped to the core and then tape it down when it reaches,the tension can cause banding.we always use a scrap piece of vinyl taped to the core as like a leader to the printed material.So we always have tension

Murphy

Marie

Thanks for the suggestion.

I figured out how to loosen the tension on the uptake reel. So far, it seems to have helped.

gabagoo

Definately it is the take up reel. I always wait and once the vinyl or banner is attached the banding will begin and I have to go from 0 to -40 or more in some cases. You can always tape on a leader if it is a sensitive print and hook it up immediately to the take up reel. Adjusting on the fly is the greatest trick I have learned, hopefully you have learned how to do that and you can generally fix it relatively fast.