• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ok, wtf?

dlndesign

This is a first. See the screen shots below. We recieved these files from the client, not sure how they saved them. Got PDF's. We were getting over saturation in the darkest areas. So I wanted to lighten it up, I used my Dodge tool in photoshop to see if I could lighten it up, but as I kept doing it, the area around got lighter, and this is what remained. I check it with the eye dropper and I am still getting full cmyk values. This is a flattened file, no other elements on top. Has anyone seen this before? Is it a glitch in the saving process? I need answers.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-31 at 11.37.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-31 at 11.37.39 AM.png
    78.5 KB · Views: 140
  • Screen Shot 2013-05-31 at 11.37.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-31 at 11.37.29 AM.png
    138.5 KB · Views: 103

WI

Dodge and burn are kind of odd creatures in my experience. In general they'll lighten and darken an image, but their effect on extreme lights and extreme darks are limited. I'm sure there's a perfectly good reason for this, but my experience with chemical photography is fairly limited, so I don't really understand the process they're trying to duplicate.

Did you try using something more general like Levels or Curves? You might even want to try a Brightness/Contrast tweak.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Looks as if someone was playing around with that same area before you..... and it is no longer editable.

That's probably why the haze is a slightly different hue than the rest of the image.

peavey123

I think WI is right. The dodge tool isn't going to be the best thing to use here for the reasons WI stated.

If you only want to lighten up the one area. I would try adding another layer. Paint some white in the areas you want to lighten with a big soft brush. Then use the "soft Light" blending mode> adjust opacity to desired level > quick mask any unwanted areas out > then flatten.

Techman

I agree, dodge and burn are not for what you want.
Another idea..
Add another layer and then mask around the darker spots.

Reduce the opacity a little with the slider.

There are a dozen ways to get what you want using a layers mask.

jfiscus

Rap Master
If you want to dodge and burn in non-destructive ways: Add a new layer, select all & fill (shift+F5) the layer with 50% gray, set the layer mode to Overlay. Dodge & burn this layer instead of the original. However, I agree that in this instance; an adjustment layer would be a better tool. Also: Check your channels and see if something is wonky in one.

MikePro

what about simply desaturating the image, adjusting brightness/contrast and then placing a blue "color" transparency over the top of it before flattening for output?

Brent MacGillis

Add White layer

Try adding a solid white layer behind the image and then reducing the opacity of the image. This will lighten up the entire image evenly.