• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Old adhesive will not come off!! Ideas??

I'm lettering a logging truck and the original lettering on the boom was removed to put the new companies web address... The boom is steel similar to an I-beam I got the lettering off but the adhesive stayed behind and will not come off! I tried Vinyl Off, CRC Super Citrus, PB Blaster Decal & Sticker Remover (usually this always works) but still no avail this crap just does not want to come off...

Any ideas on what the heck I can use to get this stuff off? starting to think it will need to be sandblasted off and repaint the damn section... geez :(

Trying to wrap this thing up and get it out of my driveway :)

I-Style

have you tried to warm it up and than use a squeegee to scrape it?
Other wise you can try silicone remover worked for me one time.

Greetings from Cyprus

yes i tried heat, forgot to mention that... got up there with a torch and all it seems to do is make it stick even worse... it's insane the stuff is like super glue... if the old letters did stand out so much I'd be able to just go over it but in this case it's so clear its as if the letters are still there... PITA!

I think i'll run to Lowes and grab some Flooring Adhesive remover... if that stuff removes flooring adhesive then this vinyl stuff should be a damn breeze! Says it works on metal and many other surfaces... fingers crossed :)

Let me know if anyone else has any ideas.

Thanks!

Auto-Graphs

I have used WD-40 with good results. You have to let it soak, but it dissolves the glue into rubbery goo. Then you can squeegee it off. It still takes a little elbow grease but it works. Make sure you clean the surface to remove all of the WD-40 residue. Good Luck.

1leonchen

3m citrus clean with good results. if its a old vehicle and not worry about paint gasoline works good learned that from a body work man.

Thanks for all the tips! I ended up getting some Klean Strip brand Adhesive Remover and that took everything off including the paint :) I talked with the owner and he said do what ever you need to just respray with some semi-gloss and put the new decals on...

I took a pic after I removed most of the paint and the lettering is etched into the steel itself... Not sure what kind of vinyl the factory used but I imagine all the years of blazing sun and heat made it a permanent fixture :)

Attachments

• downsized_0903000911.jpg
    downsized_0903000911.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 84

BobM

Rapid Remove will take care of it. Should be avaliable at any sign supply store. Spray a coating on, let sit for a couple of minutes, squeegee the heavy glue off, wipe off the balance with a cloth dampened with Rapid Remove. Rapid Remove won't hurt the paint like Kleen Strip did.

Last edited:
Finished Product

Well here she is all done... came out pretty good considering how much of a PITA it was to strip that upper boom.

Attachments

• downsized_0903001155.jpg
    downsized_0903001155.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 71

wraprat

Rapid remover definately is always the best bet in the future. One trick that sometimes will work is to use another adhesive to pull the adhesive off (for example) the sticky back of velcro.

Bill Binns

Used to use automotive lacquer thinner (fast). Would soak a rag (VERY FLAMMABLE!) and wipe over the adhesive a couple of times. let it soak into the adhesive, but be careful not to soften the paint. Would then use a "lil chizzler" to scrape off the glue. Was using "Pre-Cleano" from our automotive paint supplier for years, but it was outlawed in our county then state because of the VOC's. Thinner or Reducer is always my go to on a tough job, BUT it can bite you in the ass if you're not careful. Always test on an inconspicuous place as you can take the paint off right off the bat.