• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Old metal sign restoration: method, materials, how much to charge

thewvsignguy

Keep that piece of history original, I would not restore it. Unless they are adding the neon back to it.

I would love to have that piece of history hanging up in my shop.

Just my .02

spectrum maine

sweet vintage sign

i would wash well w carwash soap or dish detergent, sand scrape repaint w/ bulletin for background. add flattening paste if your uncomfortable about the brush strokes & the gloss 2 coats minimum white 1 shot for the copy. how could that sign have neon on both sides? it isnt a "can" just a panel?

Billct2

OK, I just noticed a few things. That had to be made for them, the neon housings line up perfect.
Two, it's not a can, it's just a face? So what does the other side look like?

SignosaurusRex

OK, I just noticed a few things. That had to be made for them, the neon housings line up perfect.
Two, it's not a can, it's just a face? So what does the other side look like?

Looks to be (2) porcelain enamel faces sandwiched back to back with can removed. I'd say that the original sign is pushing seventy plus years old, based on the banner copy in the picture. Made in the late '40's or early "50's sounds about right.
attachment.php

Attachments

• riteway.jpg
    riteway.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 313

Johnny Best

Wonder if Hurricane Katrina knocked it down and they probably lost the neon and can and just reinstalled as it is show now.