• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Old School Vinyl Stacking Graphics

EbsWeb5150

Do someone make a tool so you can stack graphics on top of another
for example yellow text with a black outline. In prepress printing you would use your registration marks and alignment pins but what do you use when your stacking vinyl?

letterman7

Usually I can eyeball it pretty well, otherwise I'll do the same registration marks as in printing, just cut them out in vinyl and line the layers that way. Then peel the reg marks off your vehicle!

Jillbeans

I usually eyeball it and do a wet app, but if I have to, I cut little stars in the same spot on each layer (or squares) and make sure those line up.
I never pre-assemble layers, I apply them one at a time to avoid Mr. Bubble.
Never I thought I'd see "Old School" as a vynull method description.
:)
Love....Jill

neato

I usually eyeball it and do a wet app, but if I have to, I cut little stars in the same spot on each layer (or squares) and make sure those line up.
I never pre-assemble layers, I apply them one at a time to avoid Mr. Bubble.
Never I thought I'd see "Old School" as a vynull method description.
:)
Love....Jill

HA! I was thinking the same thing. This industry sure has changed dramatically in the last 5 years.

I feel old now. Think I need to go make my oatmeal and read the paper...

3dsignco

I just Do mine wet and Eyeball it.

My Life is Complete.. I am Finally Considered Old School.. Wahooooooooo.

trik

Usually eye ball it as well, also just depends on what I am applying it to, we are mostly a digital shop now, but on occasion I will still do a few things, and I prefer my speed press for banners for laying cut vinyl in multiple colors.

Arstron

I eye ball it and put it on wet, if I am making a set for a customer to put on, I add triangles for them to line it up with.

If thats old school, then what is hand painted letters? :D

zapblam

make a 1/4 inch rectangle border around the layered graphics. have the same border for each color. install your bottom color including the border box. snip the corners off the next layers. line up the notched corners to the already installed border box. hinge and slap. no guess work. been doing that for a decade

GypsyGraphics

I like to make a solid diamond for my first layer and graduating diamond outlines for each layer that follows. I put them on the left and right, either top or bottom. Prefer not to have to pull them off the substrate so I trim them off once all layers are in place.

Attachments

• gg_reg_sample.jpg
    gg_reg_sample.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 196

weaselboogie

I like to make a solid diamond for my first layer and graduating diamond outlines for each layer that follows. I put them on the left and right, either top or bottom. Prefer not to have to pull them off the substrate so I trim them off once all layers are in place.

Seems like a lot could go wrong with that. Are your cuts EXACT, meaning that the vinyl butts up against each other or is there overlap? And when your vinyl is layed together edge to edge, when the vinyl shrinks won't that leave you with a gap between each color.

I prefer to stack solid color on top of solid.

Attachments

• diam.jpg
    diam.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 224
S

Sign-Man Signs

For the handi-capped that can't line up 3 beans, I use a Speed Press for a lot of jobs otherwise, my "old school" eyes are still working. Like Jill said, wet is best.

GypsyGraphics

Seems like a lot could go wrong with that. Are your cuts EXACT, meaning that the vinyl butts up against each other or is there overlap? And when your vinyl is layed together edge to edge, when the vinyl shrinks won't that leave you with a gap between each color.

I prefer to stack solid color on top of solid.

If your cuts aren't exact, your going to have a problem no matter what form of registration you use.

The open diamond gives additional points to align. A solid diamond means eyeballing it to center the diamonds.

This is one of those "whatever works best for you" deals. Input from several people should be helpful. You try out the different suggestions and go with what works for you.

GypsyGraphics

For the handi-capped that can't line up 3 beans, I use a Speed Press for a lot of jobs otherwise, my "old school" eyes are still working. Like Jill said, wet is best.

Yep, I'm defiantly handi-capped... had my vision surgically impaired a few years ago. I'd give just about anything to get my "old school" eyes back again.

I'm not bashing LASIK, I know it's been great for millions of people, I just had the misfortune to walk into a "LASIK mill." The fact that you walked in the door made you a good candidate. I spent 6 months bruised form head to toe because I couldn't see the ground in front of me.

Sorry, to go off in a different direction.... it's such a sensitive subject for me. I'll shut up now.