• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Old School Vinyl Stacking Graphics

I usually eyeball it and do a wet app, but if I have to, I cut little stars in the same spot on each layer (or squares) and make sure those line up.
I never pre-assemble layers, I apply them one at a time to avoid Mr. Bubble.
Never I thought I'd see "Old School" as a vynull method description.
:)
Love....Jill

I have had the same experience with pre-assembling layers.

kstompaint

We print a lot of that stuff now, but not all. If the customer is installing, I pre-assemble (because they almost always screw it up otherwise), or instruct them on wet application. I very rarely apply anything wet, it takes too long.

Very rarely I will use the old cut squares in the corners of each layer in the same spot. Mostly I eyeball 'em. If it's big, center hinge. Clear transfer tape helps too, especially with colors like silver.

Richard Flint

When doing layers of vinyl......it can be done easier if you use 3M ElecroCut vinyl. The vinyl is more expensive, however it has a clear backing which makes it easier to see. Along with using clear application tape, registration by eye can be done much faster and without the need of application fluid.

It's worked for me for many years.

I also get a kick out of it when I hear someone accociate vinyl with the word old school!

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
What ever you do, make sure you put the black down first...or is it the other way round?

actually i'd put the yellow down first and the black on top.....otherwise the yellow might be dulled down because of the black underneath....yellow with a little outline...black with the original text cut out....creates a choke/spread....

i don't do this with all color combos...but would definitely do it with black and yellow

Attachments

• test.JPG
    test.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 172

Blizare

Oh yea, I barely even stock any vinyl colored vinyl anymore.... Only black and red. haha.

Print it.

I can print and hammer 20 2' x 2' signs before your rapid tac will be dry enough to peel that wet nasty tape :)

It's a money thing I can't help it. Some spend so much time trying to save money that it doesn't make any ;)

gnatt66

i just cut registration marks with every layer...doesn't most every design program have them in the toolpointerarrowthingy?

i pre-layer for customers if it's an outline and not vinyl on vinyl. when that's the case they can assemble on the substrate or they'll probably meet Jill's bubble friend. ;)

TheSellOut

When I 1st started in this business, I couldn't eyeball shite! Now it seems like anytime I go to eyeball it...it ends up perfect, right down to the 1/16! I'm not bragging, I even amaze myself when I go to double-check it with a tape. It comes from years of experience, and more importantly, knowing how to prepare your media whether you are using registration marks or not!

Personally, I think clear masking is useless...if you're using registration marks...you shouldn't need it, and if you're eyeballing it...you better be good enough not to need it!

Grafix USA

I have never layered vinyl as I'm not "old school" so I have a serious question. Why would you want to layer vinyl instead of just printing the whole thing and contour cut to shape? Is it simply an equipment cost issue or is there some benefit to layered vinyl?

Edserv

We recently did a black vinyl on top of a gold foil print that had no room for error. Our production guru pulled it off perfectly (we still have remnants of his "practice" on our windows! Since then, we realized you can really print on colored vinyls. For example, our production guru (David Tatera) figured out you can run gold vinyl through our Mutoh with black print on top. Then we run the vinyl through our cutter and wa-la, contour cut vinyl (two-color). Ready to go!

I hope this helps,
thanks,
Chris
Lets Go Banners

TheSellOut

I have never layered vinyl as I'm not "old school" so I have a serious question. Why would you want to layer vinyl instead of just printing the whole thing and contour cut to shape? Is it simply an equipment cost issue or is there some benefit to layered vinyl?

One benefit is that most intermidiate vinyl films are rated for 6 years outdoors, and high performance vinyl is 9!

Grafix USA

One benefit is that most intermidiate vinyl films are rated for 6 years outdoors, and high performance vinyl is 9!

Thanks. I hadn't really thought about that. From my personal experience I would be happy if a design lasted 6 years... I tend to want a change before the vinyl is bothered by the elements. Maybe it's just me.

Malkin

Obviously if you only have plotter, this is the only way to go. This seems to be more rare than it used to be.

The other benefit I can think of is that there are lots of colors that are quite difficult or plain impossible to hit using a printed method. Obviously metalics fall in this category too.

Most of the time I prefer print/lam/cut over layered.

bug

When doing layers of vinyl......it can be done easier if you use 3M ElecroCut vinyl. The vinyl is more expensive, however it has a clear backing which makes it easier to see. Along with using clear application tape, registration by eye can be done much faster and without the need of application fluid.

It's worked for me for many years.

I also get a kick out of it when I hear someone accociate vinyl with the word old school!

Old post but anyway, accidentaly came across video
, transprent backing could be used, instead of gluing together 2 pieces of transfer

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
If you have a plotter - but no printer. Or if you have a customer who specifically requests that it be done that way (that customer is usually and older individual). ;) you know, old school
We have print and cut capabilities - so I've only done it for the experience of doing it (my own personal projects) and a couple of times for paying customers - because that's how they wanted it done.

bannertime

Old post but anyway, accidentaly came across video
, transprent backing could be used, instead of gluing together 2 pieces of transfer

Why do people make it so hard on themselves?? I can do 10ft of overlays by the time she gets started on her first little decal!

bug

Why do people make it so hard on themselves?? I can do 10ft of overlays by the time she gets started on her first little decal!
yes i know, we who are in business everyday its natural, cause we do it in 1 way which is most comfortable, but just this way, that its seen through i like, my way was someting like this