• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Old sign

Colin

I was in Seattle this weekend and spotted some old signs down at Pike Place Market......

It's hard to see in the picture, but the word "Quality" was done in an intentional washed-out sort-of look with a thin black pen-line in the middle.

Era?

Attachments

• P1040219.jpg
    P1040219.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 95

SignosaurusRex

Ahhhhh yes....the Public Market....great place! I can't say for sure but I'm guessing that the sign was done in the late '50s or early "60s by either Foley Sign, Messenger Sign or Corey Sign although it may have been done by one of the other few that were big "main stream" in the area at that time or one of their "Snappers". I remember that sign as is since I was a youngster. That period was a real "Hay-Day" so to speak for the sign industry and its tradesmen. Many sign artists of that period, while working in union shops also "Snapped" alot of side work and made a very good name for themselves. A couple of them are still around today...some still painting signs the old fashioned way, some retired and taking life easy. I'm sure that you gathered quite a nice collection of photos of signage while here. You certainly were in the right part of town for it.
Colin, It would have been nice to meet you while you were in town. I could have given you a bit of a tour through Seattle and shown you some of its finest vintage signage along with some of their history and interesting details. If you return, I'd enjoy meeting you.

Jillbeans

I love stuff like that.
Thanks for the pic!
I always like to look for old signs.
They are not always what we would call a perfect layout, but they have a snap and charm that signs today seem to lack.
And most are very legible.
Love....Jill

Colin

These are the only other signs I snapped a picture of:

Attachments

• P1040218.jpg
    P1040218.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 77
  • P1040222.jpg
    P1040222.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 89
  • P1040229.jpg
    P1040229.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 77

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya know.... that could be a neat category if we could start some sort of an 'Old Sign Thread'.

No fighting or calling each other names. Just uploading pictures that are at least 30 or more years old with as much information as is known.

Colin

Oh, and here's a picture of a picture of the Market area from 1910:

Attachments

• P1040226.jpg
    P1040226.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 80

Colin

I lied............here's one more:

Attachments

• P1040480.jpg
    P1040480.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

Colin

Thanks for all the info on the first image S-Rex, it's neat to think that those signs have been in place all those years. The freedom from UV exposure is likely why they have lasted so long.

This trip was a marathon of various activities, but I'll let you know the next time I'm down. We went to Jazz Alley Sunday night and heard Spyro Gyra! I've been wanting to go there for 20 years.

Le Pechet is a great little eatery - went there twice. Shopped too much; Took in the bike show; Trader Joes for various things like red wine, which is half the price in the States; Woodland Park Zoo (to visit some relatives - ha-ha); Pacific Science Center (butterfly exhibit); Space Needle. All that in 2 days! As I normally don't do a lot of walking, my legs are cooked.

Attachments

• P1040452 - B&W.jpg
    P1040452 - B&W.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

SignosaurusRex

Here's one you may have seen when you were here Colin. It's just south of the Public Market. I'm told that this place dates back to the gold rush days and just recently closed. Last time I went past, the signs were still there.

Attachments

• J&M1.JPG
    J&M1.JPG
    270.4 KB · Views: 91
  • J&M2.jpg
    J&M2.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 74

N2Harpz

I was in Seattle last June. I remember those old signs in the market place. My friends were checking out the Market and I was checkin out the signs.

I would have LOVED living in that era and learning from the Masters.

Thanks for the History Lesson ... SignosaurusRex

nodrenim

You sure can tell that they didn't use computers back then. Can you imagine that store front with interior illumination? I would like to see more of these old signs. Gone but not forgotten.

N2Harpz

We have a few old ones in our town like that .... Now those were signs at their best.

I watched a guy paint the side of the corner grocery store with a 7up ad when I was a kid. The bottle and everything took around three days.

How did they ever lay those out ?