• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Old sign

petrosgraphics

here on cape cod we still have some old stuff... not to many exposed neon signs but
there are a few.. a number of years ago had a chance to replicate an old exposed neon
sign with a 5 chaser flashing arrow, hand painted letters under the neon, internally lit box,masked with tuffback sprayed with gripflex, hand cut...a big cheese burger in the
middle of the plastic face all hand painted, lots of fun to make..... aprox. size 5'x7'

Last edited:

Artgunner

wow nice signs of the market area thanks .. I vote for a old signs thread

I'd love to post some of my old billboard ads. They date back to the early 80s and are pictorials of product to painted human faces. Pre printer/computer so to speak. The one thing I found the hardest to paint was... hands, toes, glistening cooked food highlights and lettuce. It all looked so weird and the customer would freak on the toes and fingers. I was a pictorial artist in those days and went on to be a contractor when I was 23 years of age. I would even rig tents on those billboards to paint in the rain 60' in the air (cool picture). Run through creeks 2' deep to get to sign location and back up 12' creek walls. They would take a bulldozer and push down one wall and back up the other. That was your road to the location. We drove 4x4s and tied down everything to run those roads. We hand painted everything and fast. Have one banner picture of the customers face on it with a newspaper. All that copy too!

Art

Artgunner

Oh, I forgot to add... I always painted something in the picture so my buddies would have to look and find as a joke. The objects were big and hid. But, when I pointed it out all would be able to see what it was. I remember painting a harbor ad with a nice sailboat pictorial and copy. Within the ad there was a 2' shark fin coming for the boat. That was the year Jaws came out at the movies. Could not see it until I pointed it out! That was a lot of fun. 14' x 48' hand painted billboard.

Art