• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

OMG! Problem I never had to deal with before...

Patentagosse

Wow! It's a new one for me. A customer sent me a file to print. Job has been made in full size, CMYK mode than saved in TIF. I open the file in VW, everything is fine so I start printing until I realize few second before it ends that 2 lines of text are missing in the bottom (???) I saw 'em on screen before hit the print button but nothing is printed in the bottom of the sign.

Pretty weird since it's now an image (TIF) and no longer vector paths from her design software (can't remember the name but I think it's Microsoft something... Publisher?)

Here's the screenshot and printed result...

Attachments

• P1010001 (Large).jpg
    P1010001 (Large).jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 82
  • SShot (Large).jpg
    SShot (Large).jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 89
Last edited by a moderator:

genericname

It could be a layered TIF, and it's applying some kind of weird transparency to the text layer.

Publisher is an oooooold page layout program. Don't know what to say that wouldn't involve the client redoing the whole design in an actual piece of design software.

Patentagosse

even more weird, if I select an area of the panel (Clip n' Tile), the black of the background prints deep black but I print the whole panel, it's greenish. Same file, same profile (in fact I printed the selection 1st and than release the clipping to get the whole image so I haven't changed anything in other settings... but I still double-check the process in case).

I'll cut the missings stuff on cast vinyl and lay it over the laminated panel.

I'm supposed to be on vacation... life is sending me a message I guess...

:Oops:

Mosh

++on flatten the file. I have had bitmap images get lost because of it, but never text.

Patentagosse

To my neighbor (GraphicWarning), it opens fine in Photoshop CS5 and everything is there, all on one layer...

When I say pretty weird, I mean WEIRD...

Attachments

• SShot2 (Large).jpg
    SShot2 (Large).jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 97

Patentagosse

I rarely work from customer-supplied files (except graphic designers, print shops or other signshops around) unless they have some basic skill but since she was aware of the 100dpi at full size / CMYK specs I ask here, I said GO AHEAD but save as TIF, not in Publisher's native extension.

From the time a spent dealing with problems, I should have designed it myself... that would have looked better and been trouble-free...

Jeeeezzz...

Patentagosse

i am going with license restriction on the font, or, not embedded!

-mosher

To me, when you flatten an file and save it as JPG, TIF, etc... it's like taking a picture of your screen so, for the embedded font / restriction... I don't think so.

I re-opened it in PS, saved it in PDF and it printed nicely with all the text.

Next job please...

Artworks

Artworks
Always rasterize your files in PhotoShop. Rip software will often times throw you a curve ball. And yes, Publisher files should be illegal!

Patentagosse

convert the font to curves.

I haven't design the layout so the only thing I had is the "flattened" Publisher file saved in TIF. There was no layer and from all the preview thumbnails up to the real file re-opened in Photoshop, everything was included in the file. VersaWork is in fault here. It shows the the file is correct but doesn't print all the ingredients.

briant1362

Could the text be marked as overprint? Most of the missing text/object problems we've seen in the past have been overprint related but always in ai or PDF files...not in tiffs.