• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

On Site Installs

Marie

Does anyone go to your customer's business to install vinyl graphics on vehicles? We have done that occasionally - like lettering on the boom of a big crane - but typically, we have them drop off their vehicles.

We are now considering promoting on-site installation of vehicle graphics for our business customers. Any comments (positive and negative) about your experience doing this would be appreciated. Thanks!

tanneji

you have to set limits though. I would offer it as a service but make sure people know they will have to pay extra for it. You don't want someone 60 miles away getting free on-site install on a 1 color truck door graphic

speedmedia

you have to set limits though. I would offer it as a service but make sure people know they will have to pay extra for it. You don't want someone 60 miles away getting free on-site install on a 1 color truck door graphic

+1 yeah make sure you have limitations. We will charge an extra fee to go on site to do installs but make sure you make limits via weather, accommodations and actual order size. We will go no site to do smaller jobs but anything wrap usually comes here unless they have a fully climate controlled and clean location that we can utilize and still provide a top notch job.

Thanks,
Kurt

stephenj148

I usually like to encourage people that the best way is to bring their vehicle to us no matter the size of the graphic or what kind of graphic it is...I find it a lot easier. If something isn't right it is much easier to fix at the shop.

FatCat

As others have said it depends on the circumstances. I typically don't like to install off-site for vehicles, but sometimes it is necessary. *Last year I did 3 vans for a plumber in one day at his shop, simply because the logistics of them bringing all 3 vans to me, plus arranging transportation for the drivers would have been challenging. (I did bring along a complete extra set of decals just in case I messed something up.)

signrios

only if its a big vehicle and they have a warehouse i can use, it gets real windy & dusty at times down here,
so it is a plus when i can use their warehouse.
i have had cases where people want me to go to their place for simple lettering or deliver their magnets!!!
i usually deliver stuff if it is over $100

msenjur

we're doing it all the time. We dont drive for 50km though, but we ussually drives 20-30km to our capital city, becouse most of our clients are there, and we do installs at their places. It is very rarely, that this customers comes to our place. Beside that, you should have a big garage for that jobs. Which we don't have. So, we are doing installs in workshops, in summer we are doing it outside... But you have to understand, that we are doing mostly test cars and comercial cars for car dealers. It takes us about 30min. two person, so jobs arent so difficult.

If job is more difficult, customer bring the car to us, and we have some big garage somewhere, that we can use, and than we do the install there.

Most importatnt thing is, that car is dry, clean, and heatet up to normal temperature.

BobM

Most of my installs are at the customers location. I figure time and mileage in my pricing and they find it convenient not having to pickup and deliver. I tell them what I need for space, lighting and temperature. I depend a lot on long term customers and referrals and although they can be a pain in the ass wanting to stand over you and talk and question etc., it does build relationships where they feel they have "participated". If they get to close I simply "bump" into them a couple of times and they get the message.

msenjur

yes... i forgot that part, where they stand behind your back and watch you doing, and trying to talk to you. When im in that situation, i told them to go on some coffe or something in near bar, and wait there for half an hour, and than come back...

WB

I've done many installs in different locations.. Only thing I'm not a fan of is constant questions and suggestions by the customer or passers by.. I've done a couple wraps in a local mall and a few on Car Dealership show rooms. I'm used to it now but it didn't find it distracting and time consuming at 1st.

TheSnowman

I have a hard time making myself do that. When I used to work with a company that did garage door installation, we would tell the customer exactly when we were going to be there, what we needed out of the garage (cars), and what we were going to do. 90% of the time we would show up, and that wouldn't be done. So we had to waste more time doing things that should have already been done. So showing up to someone else's location to do a job I would think would have a TON of variables in this situation.

To my knowledge, I've only lost one job over the years to a school removing letters from the back of their band trailer that was like 20 years old. I didn't hardly want it to begin with, and they beat around the bush about it for like 4 months. Well, they finally called, and had to have it in the next two days, and price was a HUGE issue to them. I said, if you can bring it to me, I can do it for X amt. So they called around, and got another company to come out for twice as much and do the job.

That annoyed me to no end because they were so bent on my pricing, then went w/ a company that doubled my price, and we had SO long to do the job. I guess the thing I learned was to take any control out of the customers hands, because they just don't the whole picture...and we can't expect them to. If you can assure the surroundings when you get there to not be a huge time waster, or have a clause that says if it's not what it's supposed to be when you get there, they may have more costs, then it may be worth it.

Sorry for the rant...

Mikeifg

Doesn't bother me to install at customers location. All I had ever done before opening my shop was travel around the country just doing installs.

Jillbeans

I do it a lot.
I prefer it in winter, it's their heating bill and their clean dry location!
I always bring a little extra material though.
If I get a spectator I just act weird and they go away.
Love.....Jill

appligraphics

95% of the time I go to client, I am considered a mobile installation co.,
Also install only, you must be confident in your installs, I dont have the lux of having extra vinyl. Yes, its not always as discussed over the phone. rain or snow, unit still outside??? downtime??? filthy vehicles..My regulars know the routine..extra charges often apply for retrips. Its as if the customer has had a brain fart, and state "no one told me that" someone is not telling the truth....LIAR, LIAR. Get it in writing and sign here....

I do on site installs all the time. I have a lot of customers in NYC and they don't want to bring the vehicles out of the city to get the work done. I just make sure to charge them for travel time and tolls which they never have a problem with.

Ken1f

Do it all the time. A lot of my customers are farmers wanting their truck doors done but dont want to bring them to me. No problem, it's nice to get out of the shop now and then.
Can also be a challenge sometimes. We did a couple trucks this morning, they have a large dog that left big piles all around. Had to be real carefull where we stepped and to be sure to check the bottoms of our shoes before getting back inside the shop truck.

smdgrfx

All the time. I just charge extra. I also offer pickup and delivery of vehicles. I charge $100 - $150 for that service and it works well. We do lots of fleet graphics and they are willing to pay because they understand that someone has to pay for the time.

OptimaGraphix

I do it all the time. My specialty is Fleet graphics and normally do 5 - 10 trucks per trip at their location. It all depends on how many units you are doing and type of work you are doing. I've gotten clients because I offer this service, just add the extra cost to your quote. They will pay you the extra money because you are saving them time which is money.

petrosgraphics

depends on the customer, traveled on 50 miles to a dealership 3 diff. times.each time i lettered 4 vans. it was done on the weekend service dept. was closed. the vehicles were
all spaced out, washed and ready for me... just bring an extra set of vinyl...
charged the customer travel time, etc.