• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

On the way home from walmart............

CreatedDesigns

Well if you have the same brakes on the rear for 99k miles no wonder the booster failed, It was working the front brakes only lol. Any way sounds like a fatigue failure. I mean think about it how many times has the brake petal been pushed in 100k anyway. Nothing lasts forever.

At least you are ok and nothing really bad happened to either of you. Just chalk it up on the ole oh **** list of things you have been through.

Mainframe

Yes OP, I have to agree with you! I turned wrenches for 25 years and never saw that happen! That failure gives me chills! Think of a mini van full of kids sliding through an intersection with a red light???? God was watching out for you on that one, things coulda been way worse, I can't believe that bolt just broke! WOW!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

OldPaint

created designs, YES, i still have the original brake shoes on the rear.....i got the vehicle with 63,000 MILES ON IT. now it has 99,000. now someone may have changed them before.............i cant say. but rear brake shoes do only about 30% of the braking on newer vehicles due to front/rear proportioning valve & anti-locking brake system. the truck was never used for "towing or heavy hauling." i replaced the front pads last year, because a new set of pads are way cheaper then 2 new rotors)))) the rear shoes last time i looked(4-5 months ago)when i got new tires, had 30-40 percent lining still on them. at the same time i got the tires i replaced the pitman & idler arm & had an alignment with the new tires on the front. $700.00!!!!! i never let things get bad.....
mainframe....iam with ya on the van going thru a light....
my mechanic, he is working as one and also drives and builds his own stock car..........HAS NEVER SEEN THIS!!!!! 15 years working as counter/outside sales at NAPA......never seen this.

CreatedDesigns

Your lucky I had a 2008 ram 1500 and I needed to replace front pads and rotors ( under $100 for pads and rotors) at 36,000 miles. I am just like you I work on all my own vehicles no stealership takes any of my money, I do all my own body and paint work also. Its nice being a jack of all trades that way we don't have to rely on others to get by. Back in the early 2000's Chrysler had a big problem with the composite rotors just start pitting apart at 30,000 miles. Just remember the lowest bidder is the one who makes all of our vehicles. And as you know from working at Napa not to many take the higher price options. Neither do the big three...So just put a new vacuum booster on get the bumper straightened out. And run her for another 100k

so your 99 has drum brakes in the rear huh. I thought most have switched to rear disc brakes never seen a wheel speed sensor on the end of a drum brake setup. Well I guess ford did have it on top of the differential.Guess I never paid attention to Chryslers brake systems to much.. Ah its nice to know there are still DIY'ers like yourself still out there, I'm sure there are a few out there that don't even know what we are even talking about.

Chriswagner92

Your lucky I had a 2008 ram 1500 and I needed to replace front pads and rotors ( under $100 for pads and rotors) at 36,000 miles. I am just like you I work on all my own vehicles no stealership takes any of my money, I do all my own body and paint work also. Its nice being a jack of all trades that way we don't have to rely on others to get by. Back in the early 2000's Chrysler had a big problem with the composite rotors just start pitting apart at 30,000 miles. Just remember the lowest bidder is the one who makes all of our vehicles. And as you know from working at Napa not to many take the higher price options. Neither do the big three...So just put a new vacuum booster on get the bumper straightened out. And run her for another 100k

so your 99 has drum brakes in the rear huh. I thought most have switched to rear disc brakes never seen a wheel speed sensor on the end of a drum brake setup. Well I guess ford did have it on top of the differential.Guess I never paid attention to Chryslers brake systems to much.. Ah its nice to know there are still DIY'ers like yourself still out there, I'm sure there are a few out there that don't even know what we are even talking about.

Its really crazy when you see new cars with rear drums, makes me do a double take every time.