• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

On the way home from walmart............

OldPaint

A LITTLE EXCITEMENT............but bummed out cause i rear ended a car last nite!!!!!!!!! $166.00 ticket for reckless driving, but the problem was actually MECHANICAL FAILURE..........i hit the brakes, in plenty time to stop........but the peddle got really hard, i heard a "POP" under the hood then i pushed the peddle to the floor then BANG!!!!! I HIT THE CAR IN FRONT OF ME THAT WAS STOPPED!!!!!
so today i will spend time on line filling out the accident report to the insurance co, taking the online driving school so i dont get points added to my license then i have a mechanic freind of mine who is coming here after he get off work today to access and diagnosis what happened to the brake system. then i will have to replace the front bumper at a later date.

Attachments

• Picture 092s.jpg
    Picture 092s.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 89

Locals Find!

Sounds like your rear wheel cylinders blew out. I say that from experience. I had a similar incident quite a few years back, that caused me to almost take out a gas station and 3 other cars before I ended up jumping the car over an island and blowing out 4 tires and stopping facing oncoming traffic with a large wet stain in my pants.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Glad to see no one was hurt. Metal to metal is fine in my book. It's when metal meets flesh that it becomes hard to get over..... especially if it was like a little kid on a bicycle. No amount of physical failure or insurance can bring back a little kid. :thumb:

This reminds me, my truck is going in Monday for state inspection. Everything except a broken headlight wire is fully working. The mechanic already was made aware of that and has the necessary parts waiting for me.

Do they have yearly state inspections in Florida ?? I know some states allow you to drive, as long as you keep your registered driving vehicle up-to-snuff and insured.:peace!:

OldPaint

the peddle gettin hard, then with that "pop" under the hood, then the peddle going to floor........leads me to believe the vacuum power brake booster failed, then 1/2 of the master cylinder went.....there are no leaks under the vehicle. no cylinders damaged or brake lines failed.

qmr55

Sounds like the MC went. When the MC goes fluid leaks past the seals and causes the brakes to fail.

cajun312

Those model Dodge trucks are famous for the anti lock brakes engaging during a panic stop because of weight transfer. Even worse if you hit a bump while braking, the rear wheels unload, abs kicks in and you can't stop.

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
That's what you get for going to WalMart)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Techman

take receipts of the repair to the court and they likely will reduce it to a mechanical failure ticket.
Much cheaper.

Cross Signs

We Make Them Hot and Fresh Everyday
Do they have yearly state inspections in Florida ?? I know some states allow you to drive, as long as you keep your registered driving vehicle up-to-snuff and insured.:peace!:

Not anymore. Their were two county's in Florida that had annual inspections. Of course the one I lived in and the neighboring county. But they finaly ended about 20 years ago. The vehicles down here are in pretty good shape.

John L

Pop and to the floor most times shows lost fluid somewhere. Did you lose brake fluid? Is the master cylinder level? Get a flashlight and look at the seam between the master cylinder and booster, bottom of booster, and inside the car where brake pedal rod goes through the firewall.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
OP if you opted for the Gold Plan I think that will be covered under the ACA.......

wayne k
guam usa

good to hear no one was hurt

OldPaint

i got the TITANIUM PLAN... iam A VETERAN........... best health care available.
my mechanic friend came by a little while ago to diagnose the problem with the brakes. i was right MECHANICAL FAILURE!!!!!
the whit thing to the left is the master cyl. it is BOLTED TO 2 BOLTS that are PERMANENTLY attached to the black round can, which is the power vacuum booster. when the bolt pulled out the black can i lost the vacuum boost for braking....reason i lost the brakes!!!!!

Attachments

• 094Ss.jpg
    094Ss.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 81

CreatedDesigns

You might be surprised but you may just be able to pull your bumper back into place. Unless you have some kind of law that says to replace it. On the other hand if your going through your Ins. Then I wouldn't bother. On the up side you still had brakes but you had to use them like you were driving a 1970 dodge lol. Ah remember the days with no power steering, no power bakes and the three on the tree........kids these days have no idea...

Glad your ok.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
i got the TITANIUM PLAN... iam A VETERAN........... best health care available.
my mechanic friend came by a little while ago to diagnose the problem with the brakes. i was right MECHANICAL FAILURE!!!!!
the whit thing to the left is the master cyl. it is BOLTED TO 2 BOLTS that are PERMANENTLY attached to the black round can, which is the power vacuum booster. when the bolt pulled out the black can i lost the vacuum boost for braking....reason i lost the brakes!!!!!
OP you are the luckiest unlucky guy around. It's a good thing that didn't happen on the freeway going 80 or 90.
You lost more than the vacuum booster (you can still stop a vehicle without assist) you lost most of the connection between the brake master and the brake pedal.
Next time buy something American made without all those cheap outsourced "Bosch" parts in them......

wayne k
guam usa

Last edited:

PhatGirl

By make of your truck, you know the saying, '"If you can't Dodge 'em, Ram 'em". Just kidding, glad no one was injured, but it still sucks.

Craig Sjoquist

glad your ok .. yes you live near the coast, rust plays a factor, plus your power booster was probably on it's way, putting more strain on bolted area.

OldPaint

this truck is virtually "rust free." for a 1999, and 99k on it. i do all the maintenance as needed before stuff brakes. have original rotors, same rear brake shoes as when i bought it with 63k on it. replaced pitman arm, idler arm & ball joints with in the last 2 years. so i keep up with mechanical problems befroe they get really bad. in all of my years of "turnin' wrenches," ....and been doing that since i was 10-12 years old....working in the automotive parts business for 15 years .........NEVER EVER have i seen this happen. those 2 bolts are WELDED on the inside of the brake booster!!!!