• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

one shot on latex

wes70

How good does one shot adhere and cover over latex? I am applying a mask (text cut-out) over mdo that has a latex finish. I was going to use latex paint, but I was thinking one shot would cover with one coat. Should I stick with latex on latex?

G-Artist

I have used it on top of lots of other type of paints and surfaces with no adhesion problems.

As to one coat coverage - that depends. Lettering enamel, probably. Bulletin colors, maybe not.

I'd be a bit concerned with the mask on latex if the latex is fresh paint. Removing the mask could cause paint removal as well. Test in a non-conspicuous area. We squeege the heck out of mask to insure crisp lines. Doing it on fresh paint can cause problems.

Jillbeans

When doing handlettering, 1S is fine over latex, I have been doing it since 1985.
BUT when using a mask, latex peels right off the substrate when you pull up the mask.
I mean down to the primer and sometimes even bare wood.
I wouldn't advise doing this.
Pounce patterns would work fine though.
Love....Jill

wes70

I have always used latex when using a mask, but depending if the latex is clear base or not, it takes 2-3 coats to cover properly. I want a paint that is more opaque, that is why I am considering one shot lettering enamel.

wes70

Thanks G and Jill,

I've had great results using calendered vinyl as a mask. Nice crisp edges, with latex and oil, with no paint lift when removing.

Forum Studio

MACTAC - MACmark-grey transparent paint mask.The adhesive is ultra removable
and design for plotter cutting.Removes very clean with no glue residue.As decorative painter I use this mask for few years. Always with excellent results.
I use TrnsferRite Ultra-transparent as premask.I hope this will help. Cheers.

Craig Sjoquist

Latex seems to allow many a paints to adhere with no problems ...proper prep /color painted / drying.. removable vinyl should not be a problem either