• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Only Two Black Nozzles in Nozzle Check

jiarby

Was printing fine earlier today. Already did a manual clean and a soaked rag head clean. Also several STRONG cleanings with no change. Also printed a 36x6 solid K block... it came out as just some dots (the two working nozzles). Also rebooted the printer.

Any other ideas??
Nozzle check image attached.

Attachments

• no_black.jpg
    no_black.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:

SignsOfMaine

Aside from cleaning the heads in the usual way, are there areas where there's exposed circuitry, or areas where the heads touch the printer electronics, to cause it to not get firing signals to those nozzles even if they're clean? Our old encad had gold circuit lines on both the printer itself and the head... if they got dirty, the heads never even knew to fire some of the nozzles.

Got any old heads you can stick in there to test with, maybe one that had some bad nozzles (but if that one also fired only the same two nozzles, then you'd know it's not the head itself)?

jiarby

I have not seen any exposed electronics in there, but will take a deeper look today. That seems to make the most sense. Who knows! I PM'd RandyA.

This is the original head, so no spare.

Anyone got a source for a Mutoh 1604 Service Manual??

jiarby

After reading alot and seeing the damper video at CMYKPARTS.COM I am suspecting dampers...

I pulled mine out and squished them around a bit and blew some cleaner in there and it seems to have helped.

I am ordering new dampers tomorrow.

Still looking for a maint. manual and parts for maint. station and replacement heads.

jiarby

Uh Oh... I wrote too soon!

The nozzles are gone again. I suspect that me futzing with the nozzles with the cleaner swab is what gave me the nozzles back, but they got worse and worse with every check and now I am back to none.

I'm going to replace them tomorrow.

Attachments

• dampers.jpg
    dampers.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 123
For some reason, the larger versions of the nozzle check test patterns in this thread are not opening on my computers - I've tried two machines, one with Vista and one with XP, each running IE7. The largew view never opens...

Bob

jiarby

Who knows why they won't open. It's Freds forum!

Anyway, I replaced the dampers today... no luck/

The 1604 has two dampers (8total)... I can't imagine a BOTH going bad the same instant...

My problem is between the cartridge and the damper. Collapsed sub-tank?

Color Dude

The 1604 has two dampers (8total)... I can't imagine a BOTH going bad the same instant...

I cant see the attached pic. I would be willing to help out..but I need to see the results your getting.

Signs2go

Hi did you checked your ink cartridge some times the tab on ink catridge dose not go off and you dont get ink empty massage i had similar problem, I would suggest to check the cartridge.

Compilla

Have you soak the head yet ?

Disconnect both dampers, attach a syringe and pull ink to the black line.
Are you able to pull K ink ?
When doing cleanings or small charge, is there any ink to the waste tank ?

I think the problem it is the MS Station ( not capping right ) or the head it is going bad...

Robert M

MS station

I argee with compilla, the MS station may be bad. if it gets clogged or does not seal correctly it will not prime the head. Where is Randy with Mutoh on this? They are pricey but you can install yourself. I can order you one if you need it

Biker Scout

I'm in the same boat at the moment with my 1204. Nothing is printing, when everything was just fine the day before a head soak as described in here. Even pulled ink through the dampers like the video showed.

About this capping station thing... now, I've went ahead a pulled my side panels off to observe this operation to see what if anything is going on when I do a cleaning. I've not seen any ink come out on the spittoon, or any ink move through the lines when it's over the capping station. I've cleaned rubber seal around the little felt patch thing, it's still nice and pliable. Oh, and I also pulled the felt thing out and gave it a wash, replaced, so it's clogged.

Now what?

Robert M

pour some cleaning fluid into the cap and see if it goes down and out to the spit bottle. do a little at at time

Oska

I am experiencing the same problem with striking identical results to the pictures posted. I am using a Mutoh Value Jet 1604. I have noticed what seems to be air in the line (only in the K). Any idea how to push the air out of the line?

randya

I argee with compilla, the MS station may be bad. if it gets clogged or does not seal correctly it will not prime the head. Where is Randy with Mutoh on this? They are pricey but you can install yourself. I can order you one if you need it

I have been working with him by phone.
He is local and should be stopping by here today to do some printing until he can get up and running.

Robert M

The fluid should go down, you can slide the head back and do a clean and see if that sucks it down. If you are under warranty you are likely due for a new MS station, if not we sell them for $465.00.
You can take it out and try to clean out the lines, but if the cap top is bad, nothing will help

randya

HAH! That was pretty cool trick... yeah, mine does not flow, just pools there.

Now what? Let it sit?

This depends on the position of the pump, on whether ink will flow.

So sometimes you will have the rotate the pump to get this flow.

Or easier still, fill it up, run a 'clean' from the front panel and look for fluid running down the tubing into the waste bottle. (or run the tubing into a solvent resist cup or bottle.).

There are two drain tubes on the bottom of the capping station for the VJ 1204/1304/16xx printers.

You can put a syringe on one and pinch the other and pull ink through.
If you cannot get a vacuum, there there may be an issue with sealing the capping station and the bottom of the head.
This can be cleanliness, the seal, or a connection between the head and where you've connected your syringe. (I recommend the larger syringes.)

This is also the best way to remove air in lines.