• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx "data starvation" / Raster question

NEGD

At first I assumed this was a printer issue, but have come to realize it's only occurring through Onyx. Any suggestions as to why this has become a problem all of a sudden? Any suggestions as to what I can do to eliminate the problem?

Until I can correct this issue, I am using my backup rip program Raster but have a question about tiled jobs. We've got a multi file tiled job to do, and I want to print tiles for different files side by side (like Onyx will do when you use the "Conserve Media" setting). Is there any way to do this, or do I have to waste a bunch of material?

Attachments

• IMG00558-20110705-1144.jpg
    IMG00558-20110705-1144.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 136

genericname

If this is on the JV3, I've had similar issues with both Onyx and Flexi, though the bands' severity varies depending on the diffusion pattern used, tempurature settings, and number of passes involved.

I used to print everything at 720-4pass, but found the bands most severe with that setting. Since knocking it down to 360x540-6pass, I've had no issues.

Unfortunately, I know nothing about Raster. Lay everything out in a single EPS maybe?

Last edited:

petesign

Using Rasterlink, you can select multiple jobs at one time and nest them together using the arrange button.

NEGD

Using Rasterlink, you can select multiple jobs at one time and nest them together using the arrange button.

Raster doesn't allow grouping of tiled jobs. Hence my problem. I wanted to make sure I was doing it correctly, or there wasn't a work around.

genericname

you've never tried to find out why this is happening?

I have, just without much of a result, unfortunately.

It seemed most prevalent in Blues and saturated Blacks. When I first got here, we were using a 360x540 setup at 6 passes, which I thought was archaic, considering the speed with which we turn around product. I moved us into the 4 pass setup with a better resolution for overall better saturation, but started getting that band issue after a while as well, and now we're back to 6 pass. We have two JV3s now, mind you, so we can justify printing juuuust a little slower.

Same as you though, the issue just popped up one day, in situations where it hadn't before. I've ruled out environmental issues, as well as a slew of other technical possibilities, and they're definitely not refresh marks. I hate leaving an issue unsolved, even if I've found a way to not be affected by it. For the time being though, that's how I'm going forward on this one.

NEGD

I have, just without much of a result, unfortunately.

It seemed most prevalent in Blues and saturated Blacks.

Same as you though, the issue just popped up one day, in situations where it hadn't before. I've ruled out environmental issues, as well as a slew of other technical possibilities, and they're definitely not refresh marks.

Yes, we're seeing it mostly in the blues, but it is slightly noticeable in the other colors as well. This is one of a slew of issues the Jv3 has been giving us recently and I'm about ready to sell it and get something else.

I'm going with your 360 suggestion, and if the salesman is happy with the output then we've got a solution... for now.

Thanks!!

genericname

No problem. We're all in the same boat!

If you come up with a solution, or an alternate method to circumvent the issue, please let us (ME!) know.

Brandex.ca

I have the same problem at the moment with my cjv30 and Rasterlink, if I figure it out I'll let you know. Always printed fine but one day it just switched to problems.