• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx postershop unable to read size from printer

Tatonka

New problem today between Onyx and my Epson S80600. I keep getting an error in onyx saying "unable to retrieve page size from printer" when Onyx queries the printer for the media type and size. I haven't changed anything other than different rolls of material today. The printer displays the correct size, epson dashboard shows the correct size, but Onyx won't pull it.

Anyone run into this before or have any ideas on how to fix it? I've restarted everything, and dug through the menus trying to find something that might have changed, but haven't found anything.

Obviously I can just manually select the page size for now, but that doesn't solve this problem for the long term.

ikarasu

Have you restarted onyx?

My onyx will read the page size on the first print. It'll read as many roll changes as I do.. until the printer goes to sleep. Once I wake it up, it'll always say no media is loaded... I can manually select the page size and it'll print... but thats it. Once I restart onyx... it'll pick it up again until the next sleep.

Tatonka

Have you restarted onyx?

My onyx will read the page size on the first print. It'll read as many roll changes as I do.. until the printer goes to sleep. Once I wake it up, it'll always say no media is loaded... I can manually select the page size and it'll print... but thats it. Once I restart onyx... it'll pick it up again until the next sleep.
yeah, I've restarted onyx, my printer, and my computer today. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Today is the first time I've run into this issue.

Dan360

Which version of Onyx? I've noticed some communication issues after we upgraded to v12. If you go to the Current Media and Page Size settings, if you just hit the refresh button does it pull the size?

I plan on reinstalling the printer in Onyx to see if it helps when I get a chance.

Tatonka

Which version of Onyx? I've noticed some communication issues after we upgraded to v12. If you go to the Current Media and Page Size settings, if you just hit the refresh button does it pull the size?

I plan on reinstalling the printer in Onyx to see if it helps when I get a chance.

Postershop 18.0 If I hit "manual update", the size doesn't change. If I go into configure page sizes and query printer, I get a popup saying "unable to retrieve page size from printer"

klingsdesigns

Mine has a glitch like that every once in a while. You have to go to current media size and manual update, and also go to device info and refresh that as well.

Bly

Hit and miss for me.
I usually just enter media type and roll width manually.

Tatonka

Now it won't read the material even. Something weird is going on with Onyx communicating with the printer. I don't really want to reinstall everything if I can help it...

klingsdesigns

mine as well has been weird. I try and just keep it on one profile and go with it. Until i need to switch to a canvas or something. Then it gets all messed up.

CanuckSigns

Mine won't update unless I manually hit the refresh button, then it gives me an error message about not being able to get the info from the printer, but it actually does, very strange.

However it's not a huge issue for us, most of out vinyl and banner we print using the same profile anyway, we just change the settings on the printer to adjust for feed and such.

Tatonka

Mine won't update unless I manually hit the refresh button, then it gives me an error message about not being able to get the info from the printer, but it actually does, very strange.

However it's not a huge issue for us, most of out vinyl and banner we print using the same profile anyway, we just change the settings on the printer to adjust for feed and such.

It's a big issue for me, I have different materials and sizes I print on pretty much every day. I just can't figure out why it's happening now when it hasn't been an issue for nearly a year. I've tried deleting the printer in Onyx, and even deleted files in the Onyx folder. I think I'm down to reinstalling Onyx unfortunately, see if that helps.

klingsdesigns

It's a big issue for me, I have different materials and sizes I print on pretty much every day. I just can't figure out why it's happening now when it hasn't been an issue for nearly a year. I've tried deleting the printer in Onyx, and even deleted files in the Onyx folder. I think I'm down to reinstalling Onyx unfortunately, see if that helps.

Let us know, hopefully that helps or onyx comes up with a patch to update the problems.

Tatonka

I backed up the printer settings in Onyx by going to file>manage printers, and clicked "create prnInst". Then uninstalled Onyx, all the epson stuff, and went through my drives to make sure there was nothing left from either program. Reinstalled Onyx first, and installed the printer drivers from Onyx, and it's working so far. I don't have the Epson edge dashboard installed yet, so maybe it's that that's causing the issues.

klingsdesigns

I called onyx. They stated this is a printer issue and have to update the printer file. Also they are coming out with onyx 19 in the near future.

CanuckSigns

I called onyx. They stated this is a printer issue and have to update the printer file. Also they are coming out with onyx 19 in the near future.

Onyx 18 was supposed to solve the bugs from onyx 12, who's to say if 19 will solve this bug. I'm blown away by how many massive bugs are in such an expensive piece of software, and the solution is always to upgrade to the latest version, which costs thousands.

klingsdesigns

Onyx 18 was supposed to solve the bugs from onyx 12, who's to say if 19 will solve this bug. I'm blown away by how many massive bugs are in such an expensive piece of software, and the solution is always to upgrade to the latest version, which costs thousands.
Exactly what I was thinking.

ikarasu

We use onyx 12 at work and I have the same issue. I thought it was just a hp thing.

I took advantage of the 25% off and upgraded from flexi to onyx on my home printer... It never had the problem, so I emailed onyx and asked about it.

Onyx says its a bug in 12 and to upgrade to 18... $2500. I just live with it, but we're buying a second printer soon...so one printer might be printing and I won't be able to close down onyx to fix the issue.

I think all bug updates should be free. They should only charge for feature upgrades... But then they couldn't pigeon hold people into upgrading whenever a new machine comes out.

Christian @ 2CT Media

We have had issues with HP printers and onyx, but we were told to download the printer drivers every month or 2 because they are constantly releasing updates.

We have started doing that and its been a lot better.

klingsdesigns

We have had issues with HP printers and onyx, but we were told to download the printer drivers every month or 2 because they are constantly releasing updates.

We have started doing that and its been a lot better.
They told me to do this as well but epson doesnt have an update after Feb.