• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx RIP Computer

jasonx

Onyx website states:

Optimal Specs:

CPU
Intel Core i7 3.2 GHz Processor

Memory
6GB DDR3 (3x2GB) 1066 MHz Memory Modules

Storage
Four 74GB or higher Solid State or 10,000 RPM SATA Disk Drives

One for OS and Application
One for Temporary Data Processing (Bandhome)
One for output device 1
One for output device 2

Note: Add additional drives for additional output devices

Graphics
Nvidia GTS or higher graphics card
Ati Radeon HD 4000 or higher Graphics card

DVD Drive
DVD-ROM drive compatible with dual-layer DVDs

Network
Gigabit Network Card

Supported OS
Windows XP Pro 32bit or 64-Bit operating system with the latest service pack
Windows Vista Business or Enterprise 32bit or 64-Bit with the latest service pack
Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate, 32bit or 64-Bit

ONYX does not test with Windows Home or Server Products they are not recommended
All ONYX versions prior to 7.3.2 are Windows XP Pro 32bit only
SCSI and Videonet Printers may not be supported in 64bit environments please check with the Printer manufacture before upgrading to 64bit environments

What are all you guys using for your PC with onyx? I'd rather save time RIPing files cause lately we are pumping through heaps of jobs daily. Redundancy isn't an issue as customer files as stored on a NAS.

RobbyMac

Ours is an hp machine, i7 somethin or other. ( i will look tomorrow at the shop). 8gb ram, 120gb software drive, 300 gb build/print files and rip drive. (build and print files backed up to a mirror, and also backed up again with everything else monthly).

But I am curious... does the raid 0 dramatically increase rip speed vs a single drive?

Say for example, we rip a single 54" x 12' panel for a hauler, it can take around 3-4 minutes at 100 dpi, 8pass for our hpl25500. Would raiding more drives cut that time substantially?

Techman

does the raid 0 dramatically increase rip speed vs a single drive?

if i remember right...
RIP is dependent of memory space. When the memory runs out then data blocks are moved to the drive. Usually that is at the end of the data string. If the file is huge then it will be slower if the data is written to the drive. But, now a days memory is huge. SSD drive will run very fast.

Dave Rowland

I am also studying this.... SSD Hybrids is on my mind for RIPing and fastest 'straight-line' CPU i can afford, fastest number cruncher, multi-cores I believe will not be an advantage to ONYX.

I also hearing rumours that the next version of ONYX will be out shortly and will be the Adobe print engine instead of JAWs, I do wonder if that be more multi-core threaded?

Christian @ 2CT Media

We only have one HP L25500 on this computer so its essentially one drive. Its also used as a photoshop scratch disk for last minute editing before printing.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Ours is an hp machine, i7 somethin or other. ( i will look tomorrow at the shop). 8gb ram, 120gb software drive, 300 gb build/print files and rip drive. (build and print files backed up to a mirror, and also backed up again with everything else monthly).

But I am curious... does the raid 0 dramatically increase rip speed vs a single drive?

Say for example, we rip a single 54" x 12' panel for a hauler, it can take around 3-4 minutes at 100 dpi, 8pass for our hpl25500. Would raiding more drives cut that time substantially?

With our machine we have ripped a 52.5" x 40' for a custom BBQ in 5mins... Faster CPU, more Memory, and Fast Drives have dramatically reduced our rip times. We started with a AMD Phenom II x4 3.2ghz with 10gb Ram, onyx work folder was on its own drive, similar panels took 45+ mins.

omgsideburns

Mine is some old hp with like a 2gig processor and maybe 2 gigs of ram. It's running an older version of onyx than the new fancy stuff though.

signswi

Get an off the shelf i7 with 12GB ram and the biggest SSD you can afford. No need to mess around with raiding drives or having multiple drives you're not going to exceed the write speed of a quality modern SSD anyway.