• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

opaque prints - is there anyway on clear?

gabagoo

I am doing work, and have done work previously for a client who is contracted to do a renovation for a large public facility. I did the work last year and basically we printed an image that was purchased online and we scaled it up to the point where the dpi was about 50 dpi. I had the designer interpolate the graphic until it was pretty darn nice. It was a pic of a forest with birch trees.

I had never seen the finished work once it was installed, but went yesterday to check it out as we now have another floor of this facility to do.

So basically the contractor runs 1/4" glass panels along the coridor of the hallway about an inch from the wall.The glass panels not only go in front of the walls but in front of windows that allow staff to look into the rooms.
I printed everything reverse on a calendered film and ran a double hit to get the colour as deep a s possible. When the graphic is in front of the wall it looks really nice through the glass. They also have some sections with frosted vinyl in places creating a really nice effect.

When the graphic covers the window, it is barely visible from the outside light from the outer window of the room.

It seems the client (designer or administrator) wants the graphics to be more opaque.

I don't think there is anything i can do more than I have.

I went to another floor in the facility and saw some of the windows that were done many years ago and the colours are so dark that on the walls themselves they are almost impossible to see but in front of a window they light up like a duratrans...in fact I am sure thats what they are. That is a way to expensive process for the amount of sq footage I need to produce.

That other floor also had 1/2" glass and with the graphics on the backside they looked awesome. I can say that they payed an arm and 3 legs for that job and it is obvious to me that they do not have a budget for that.....besides we have to run over 80 or so feet at 60" high....

I ran one sample and it was placed on the glass. The image is of a branch of a tree sitting over some water. The print looked incredible but once the graphic goes over the window you can barely see much detail.

so the question is this.... What can I offer them? It is a tricky situation as I deal with the installer who in turn deals with the contractor who knows nothing of print. Ideally i would like to sit down with the decision maker and make them understand what is possible and what is not. Unfortunately that wont be happening so I am left to make it work, which I feel is not really possible printing on clear.

Salmoneye

Not sure if I understand completely. Can you run a print on both sides of the glass like you might on a pan face. If the glass is thick I guess it would look blurry from anything but exactly head on. What about for the section that needs to be dark, printing with reg marks, overlaminating with clear and printing over the top of the lam again? I don't know if my rip would be able to pick up the marks on a print only run. Just two dumb thoughts, I have never had to deal with something like this.

Salmoneye

Printing white would be the answer for sure but I thought that they had to be transluscent, just darker. What about printing white at 30%, 50%...

MikePro

since I cannot print white, i'm a fan of backing clear prints with dusted/frosted crystal vinyl or white vinyl, the former being if I wanted to keep the translucency.

petepaz

you might have to sub out the panels that go over the window areas and even printing the white at 100% i think you will still get a translucent effect (depending on the machine it's printed on) the white is not as opaque as you would think at least not in my roland machines usually to get a good opacity i need to do a double hit on the white

MikePro

Same here....but it doesn't address the issue if they're looking to have a clear backround - I think the only solution for this specific application is to print the white behind the graphics only.

Plus if they're 60" panels frosted won't work....

frosted comes in 60". Gerber Series 210 is what I use.
I also print on it, even though its not listed as a "printable material", the matte texture of the vinyl holds ink incredibly well.
BUT its not completely transparent, so for 2nd surface application... i print on clear and laminate with the frosted crystal.

gabagoo

I understand the white issue...but these people won't go for it as visibility into the room is neccessary...so you see i give them what they need but they no like... We have tried to propose the frost but again it will block out so much of the visibility into the room that it won't work. basically what I have given them is exactly what they want, they just don't know it.

gabagoo

They want to be able to see it from both sides...white is out... I just running another sample with a double hit...stinks to high hell in here, but man does it look good. It still won't hold much colour against light coming in from behind...I might suggest they shut the shades in the rooms!!!

anotherdog

You could play with this till the cows come home.
I print on frosting myself, did a very nice door in a Museum with printed frosting on one side of the glass and clear with a double hit on the other. The colours when lit from the back had a stained glass glow.

I wonder if you can mount clear on frosting for a Clear reverse effect.

gabagoo

You could play with this till the cows come home.
I print on frosting myself, did a very nice door in a Museum with printed frosting on one side of the glass and clear with a double hit on the other. The colours when lit from the back had a stained glass glow.

I wonder if you can mount clear on frosting for a Clear reverse effect.

this is a good idea but budget considerations will not allow it. If you saw the wall with this glass you would have to wonder why it is in all these different sizes of glass along the wall butted up to each other....sort of like they used offcuts or something...no size is the same which also means every piece we print has to be cut and then lined up with each piece of glass as it moves down the hallway.... with 2 prints per window this could be an absolute nightmare .

iprint

They want to be able to see it from both sides...white is out...
Not true. The Oce Arizona/Fuji Aquity have a print setting called "Clear Substrate Day/Night Application" that lays down CMYK data then White then CMYK data again. The idea behind it is so that the image looks great whether it is back lit or not. Maybe worth a shot to at least get a sample from a vendor with these capabilities. I print second surface on acrylic with these settings all the time and the results have been great.

gabagoo

the job has now been designated a rush and somehow even thought the person who makes the decision is not happy, we must press ahead and have it all printed for Friday.... I wonder how long they had to work on this considering they redid this entire section of the floor which if like everything else has been at least 6 months... yea lets leave the visual part of the project to the absolute last minute and hey...we did not like how it worked out last year but WTF, we left it to long so now we will have to take what we can get..... I love big govt. and tax payers money

yeeee hawwwww

Patentagosse

You hate to be rushed at the very last minute... being the last one to be called...

WELCOME TO MY WORLD...

* I'm currently educating few of 'em who think I only have themself to serve.