Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions?

Discussion in 'Logo Design' started by qmr55, Dec 10, 2012.

1. qmr55

qmr55 Very Active Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Yardville NJ
    Looking for opinions on this as I've been a little brain blocked trying to design it. The name of the company is "Missing Link Electronics" and they sell cutting edge electronics like unlocked phones and ipads and cameras and all that cool gadget stuff. The wanted the name to stand out but the "electronics" to be very subtle, but still be included in the logo. Colors were open and I decided that a blue and off black are sharp and trendy to get this company rolling. The main point was to stay away from the obvious cliche with the company name, a logo with a chain link or "missing link" in it. This is what I came up with, just looking for some opinions, what I should change, what you like/dislike about it. Any new ideas are welcome as well.

:thankyou:

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    They look alike......... :help

3. qmr55

qmr55 Very Active Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Yardville NJ
    They're the same, just one close up for readability in squint test and another for easier viewing when enlarged.

4. Edna

Edna Member

Oct 9, 2012
    make the dot in the link dark. oposite of the missing dots...

5. genericname

genericname Active Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Canada
    I think that would throw off the whole weight of the design.

Can't say "Electronics" passes the squint test. Either bolder type, or the full logotype's width, underneath maybe?

6. The Vector Doctor

The Vector Doctor Very Active Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    I am not liking the g for some reason. The bowl seems too small.

7. qmr55

qmr55 Very Active Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Yardville NJ
    Yeah dot in "link" stays blue.

As for electronics, that was kind of the point. I want it to be subtle. When you enlarge the logo can you read it properly?

8. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    The 'g' looks very awkward. The way the letters connect is also odd in itself. Mostly non-script lettering with connectors....... just loses something.

9. genericname

genericname Active Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Canada
    I get subtlety as a goal, but that's nearly invisible, and it'll never read on a business card. Sure, you can read it when it's enlarged, but the basic rules of responsible design dictate that it should read the same at any size that it will be officially reproduced.

I dig the colour scheme, and the fact that you avoided the obvious "Look! It's a chain! Hur-dur!" garbage, instead opting to go for more subtle ties in the theme (if I'm reading it right). "Electronics" should definitely be more pronounced though. Doesn't have to scream, but it should definitely be visible at a smaller scale.

10. qmr55

qmr55 Very Active Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Yardville NJ
    You make some great points and I agree. Going to go back at it and try putting electronics underneath the logo and make it more visible/easier read. Thank you!

11. John Butto

John Butto Very Active Member

Jan 9, 2007
    mytake

Add something for god's sake to stimulate the brain because most people do come from the missing link.

12. laserman70

laserman70 Very Active Member

Dec 25, 2007
    usa
    The G looks out of place..
    first thing my eye went to.

13. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    there are some strange looking shapes going on with the font (see areas marked in red) the flow from the "g" to the link is really odd looking. it might work if it was all upper case letters but because you are welding a rounded letter to a flat sided letter, it would hard to make look correct.

Attached Files:

14. rjpjr

rjpjr Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    guess I'll pile on... but with a slightly different take

Not digging the "Electronics" in the descender of the G.
    IMHO It links the Electronics to "Missing" instead of Missing Link especially since Missing and Link are two different colors (I like the colors). I like the Type Face used as well.

How about a design with an evolutionary Missing Link character reading an Ipad! :Big Laugh Sounds like a job for John Deaton.:smile:

Can't wait to see the adjustments.

15. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    I would wait until Bob chimes in with his sage design advice. Then you will have something to work with!

16. qmr55

qmr55 Very Active Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Yardville NJ
    Well it appears we are actually on to something completely different. Client stopped in this afternoon and decided he didn't like the look where we were heading and wanted something with a chain instead but also, very subtle. Removed the word "electronics" from the logo all together because they will be promoting other things than just electronics from what he said today.

Gotta love when they change their mind...........

This is what I have come up with so far, whatya think?

Attached Files:

17. DKgrafix

DKgrafix Very Active Member

Much Better

18. qmr55

qmr55 Very Active Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Yardville NJ
    How about some color?

Attached Files:

19. petesign

petesign Very Active Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Hoover AL
    Squinting i thought they were handcuffs. Larger I think it was MUCH better. :)

20. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    I dont like the subtle shadow/color change/whatever - it just looks like the output got miffed.